It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There are now 1,000 Billionaires in the United States

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   
The top .001% wealthiest people are now richer than ever before. Do you think these people are finally starting to see the light or do you think the nuclear option will come into play?

There are over 1,000 households in the United States with a net worth of $1 Billion+

49,000 households now have between $50 Million and $500 Million in net worth.

There are roughly 150,000 households in the United States with a net worth of at least $20 million.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Something tells me that number will be a lot lower soon. If it isn't already a lot lower. A lot of wealth has been lost in the last week.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Ha, true. Bill Gates can't sell his shares fast enough as Microsoft takes a dive. I suppose stocks though are just as much an imaginary form of currency as the high-tech toilet paper our Federal Reserve pumps out.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous Avatar
I suppose stocks though are just as much an imaginary form of currency as the high-tech toilet paper our Federal Reserve pumps out.

The wealthy need for you and I to believe that their stocks are worth something in order for them to continue being wealthy.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   
When I saw this post's headline I laughed and thought not after today. I in no way think this is funny, that was just my automatic response.

Just give it a few hours. I don't think we will see people jumping from buildings on Wall St. because I have been told it is easier for a rich person to go back to being poor than for a rich person who has never been poor to become poor. Most of these billionaires are new money which was made from the mess we are now trying to straighten out.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
A lot of wealth has been lost in the last week.

I heard that over $2 Trillion in wealth has evaporated from the market this week alone.

Wealth only exists when lots of other people believe that it actually exists. Personally I see an intellectual and spiritual vacuum in this country. There is no forward thinking going on, at all.

There is no central leadership policy or agenda. And no agreement on anything other than gettin' while the gettin' is good. Quite frankly I think we need a DEPRESSION / REVOLUTION in America in order for us to move forward.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by seejanerun

Exactly. The real puppet masters aren't going anywhere.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by seejanerun
I don't think we will see people jumping from buildings on Wall St.

We already saw that in 2001. Molock required a sacrifice.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

I tend to agree. I think we are going to have to get slapped pretty hard to see wake up, however I sincerely hope I am wrong.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

Would the conspiracy theorist in you be suspicious of the leader of said revolution? Hitler comes to mind.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Would the conspiracy theorist in you be suspicious of the leader of said revolution? Hitler comes to mind.

You know lots of interesting things have come out of germany.

Adam Weishaupt
Printing Press
Protestantism
Karl Marx
Hitler
Bank for International Settlements

[edit on 8-10-2008 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

I think people need to lead themselves, but they can't do that unless they are allowed to do so, and unless they are given every chance to learn and succeed on their own... because I would say that 99 or more percent of society's ills comes from oppression of free will. The spirit wishes to wander where it may.

Anyway...

I'd laugh if I ever saw Bill Gates in a bread line. Nobody would want to give him bread. They'd think he was bluffing. "Go back to your mansion! This is OUR bread!"

Will that ever happen? Considering Bill Gates owns rights to about half of the nations computer technology or more... I doubt it. When you own a technological monopoly, that's like owning something more precious than gold.

[edit on 8-10-2008 by dunwichwitch]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Something tells me that number will be a lot lower soon. If it isn't already a lot lower. A lot of wealth has been lost in the last week.

The number for those 1000 will get higher

The number for all of us will get lower

Maybe if we give the 1000 another bail out it will help. Then again, it's always third times a charm that does it...

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
Maybe if we give the 1000 another bail out it will help. Then again, it's always third times a charm that does it...

I have a change jar around here somewhere. Do you think it will help these poor billionaires out of a tough spot?

Oh wait it's all bogus metals. Nickel, Zinc, copper.

With the price of copper nowaday I think I'll start collecting pre-1982 pennies for copper. Every penny has a meltdown value of 1.73 cents.

www.coinflation.com... seprice=3975.00&nickelprice=6.4168&Submit=+Calculate+

[edit on 8-10-2008 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Most of these guys have very few tangible assets. Most of their money is stored in stocks and shares, or equity in companies.

Laxmi Mittal, net worth circa 50bn last year, has so far lost 16bn this year.

Their net worth is being eroded faster than anyone else's by the credit crisis.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I'd like to see a chart that illustrates both the increase in billionaires as well the increase of people falling below acceptable poverty lines; or people losing their homes or jobs; or maybe the families that fall apart because of this.

Once the charts are drawn-up, I'd like to see them printed on the front page of every newspaper in the developed world.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir
I'd like to see a chart that illustrates both the increase in billionaires as well the increase of people falling below acceptable poverty lines; or people losing their homes or jobs; or maybe the families that fall apart because of this.

The wealth that these people have created is the indirect result of more and more debt being granted to people.

new topics

top topics

join