It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boffins unveil life-like robogirl

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   
www.thesun.co.uk...

THIS is the most life-like robot suit ever – the cyber girl Repliee R-1. Based on a real five-year-old Japanese girl, this machine was built to look just like a human.

It has 50 sensors and a series of motors to help it move and has been built to help pensioners and disabled people move better.

Science is getting one more step closer to making the terminator. Just kidding. But is an amazing step in robotics and with mores law coming to the point of having a processor faster than a brain. It may not be too far off from AI or functional robots or androids.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
OK, I'm officially creeped out! But I do have to say that the Japanese did a better job of making Godzilla look real than they did on this!

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by bigvig316

hmmmm. i don't want people to think i am being mean, but honestly, why did they make a robot that look like it has down syndrome? i think that multiplys the creep factor greatly...why does the eyelids look like a skin graft? she looks like she was made from cadavers.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   
THe robot looks like it has downs syndrome. Will it be helping the elderly or will the elderly be helping it????

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
the comments page on the sun website "i for one welcome our robot overlords" is the best part of the whole story_javascript:icon('
')

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Some of these new robots are disgusting.

I wonder how many pedophiles will buy one. Probably several.

I don't think we should be building robot children.

I wanna see one that looks like the terminator - No skin. Just metal, like robot should be.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Yeah, robots should look like robots (unless they're "adult-bots"!!!).
My question is: Why?
We already have enough people that ACT like robots in this world, do we really need robots that act like people?
How about spend this energy on robots that are actually useful... or at least cool-looking.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthTellist
Some of these new robots are disgusting.

I wonder how many pedophiles will buy one. Probably several.

I don't think we should be building robot children.

I wanna see one that looks like the terminator - No skin. Just metal, like robot should be.

Some how I doubt that this robot is anatomiclly correct. Besides its being built as a tool for the elderly not as a sex toy.

The thing is creepy looking and I find it hard to believe that anyone would be sexually attracted to it. But then again I dont understand how any one could be sexually attracted to children.gross.

That being said, a robot that looks like terminator would be absolutley awesome, So Im with you on that one

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

i think we are not thinking of practicality here. the obvious choice (if they want a lifelike robot) is to make it a child because the center of gravity is lower to the ground, and it is just easier to bubild a smaller robot than an older one. i think maybe if it's helping older people function, then it would freak them out much more if the robot was metal looking, or if it was an adult male size it could scare them also...but a cute little girl wuold be the best choice/
as to why in the hell they made it look like a challenged child i do not know, and i still say it looks like down syndrome.
as for the pedophile thing, c'mon now, get real. like the other user said, it's not likely to be anatomicly correct, and further more, dare i say this but oh well: i'd rather have some perv get down with a robo girl than a real kid....i.e. MY kid.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Enigma Publius

Ummm did you mean to reply to truthtellist? I am the "other user" who said its not anatomically correct. Everything I have said agrees with what you are saying here. Except for my joke that a robot that looks like the terminator would be neat.

So yeah, I think you me replied to me by mistake. Perhaps your reply was meant for truth tellist?

[edit on 8-10-2008 by gimme_some_truth]

removed quote of preceding post

[edit on 8-10-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Cyberdyne, isn't that the company that the terminator was helping Sarah Conner and her son destroy in the Movie?

Maybe we will get the Terminator robot in the long run

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
If you're going to make robots, at least make them look like Fem-bots from the Austin Powers movies.

Hot!

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Jeez that thing is ugly. No offense to the little girl its based off of, but they should stop trying to make robots look human until they get better at it. Seriously, the thing looks and sounds like a little girl zombie. I don't think the creepy music is helping.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Yeah that is creepy looking. Weird how somebody mentioned the Terminator movie and the company in it because this thing looks just like the SimPal doll in his movie the 6th day.

Removed broken link

[edit on 8-10-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

you are correct! my bad...yes i was agreeing with you and tryin to reply to him...i got myself mixed up.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Unfortunately I got wrapped up rating supermodels on that site, so I didn't have a chance to review the article.

However from the looks of the pic, that is a real DS kid.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by semiunknown
Yeah, robots should look like robots (unless they're "adult-bots"!!!).

Yeah, before I clicked the thread I thought "I wanna have sex with it!!". I feel very wrong about that joke now.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   
I just cant sleep with that creepy robo girl walking around in other rooms of the house in the dark. Strange noises that sound like malfunctions and talking when I didnt ask it to talk all taking place in some other room of the house. NOT to mention that when I open my eyes in my bedroom that creepy thing is staring at my face from like 6 inches away IN THE INKY BLACKNESS!!

Yeah I think not!

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 03:54 AM
link   
"I just want to PLAY"

Thats is really not right, ive seen a few of these creepbots now and i wonder are they actually ever in use or just some innovation for the sci-tech conventions. The only use i can see for these is giving children and the occasional adult nightmares.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 04:12 AM
link   
That video gave me a strong urge to smash it to pieces.I know ive been watching to much terminator and that music in the vid didnt help, but i still feel the need to smash it to smithereens.
Very ominous!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join