It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spacecraft Reveals Stunning New Views of Mercury

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Article here

Kind of reminds one of the moon in this pic, amazing how the craters glow, surely it must be "reactors"
:

Picture

Actually it looks like a melon, the long lines are interesting to say the least.

This hi-res pic is simply awesome!

Get cracking people, let's see who'll be the first to find structures!

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
amazing pictures, for some reason I thought mercury would be red oo well. BTW this is my first post on this account, Hello to you all I look forward to adding to all discussions in a intelligible manner or at least try to!

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
How long before someone takes a closer look at these pictures and claims to see city's and buildings? It's only a matter of time. . .

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
forgot his name.. but a Yale alumnis head of the navy dep. of astrological mechanics says in a paper he wrote that it's very likely that Mercury was the moon of Venus.

compare the sizes if you want.. it holds up..

venus is VERY close to earth size..

mercury is VERY close to our moon's size

so the similarities that far indicate that at least the mechanics of a Venus-Mercury system would work.

maybe someday through massive artificial gravity devices...or asteroids who's trajectories we've augmented through blasts, as a giant "pool table"... mankind could mate them back together in an effort to stabalize and "tame" terraform venus..
just hypotheizing.. but it would be fascinating.

-

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soloist
Get cracking people, let's see who'll be the first to find structures!

LOL I'm on the job as we speak, I'll get back to you if I find anything

But seriously those are nice pics

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by marijuanaisnotadrug
amazing pictures, for some reason I thought mercury would be red oo well. BTW this is my first post on this account, Hello to you all I look forward to adding to all discussions in a intelligible manner or at least try to!

Welcome.

I remember seeing pictures of it a while back and it had a reddish tint to it, not sure why that was.

As far as the moon comparison goes :

Mercury's surface appears to be much like that of the moon. It reflects approximately 6 percent of the sunlight it receives, about the same as the moon's surface reflects. Like the moon, Mercury is covered by a thin layer of minerals called silicates in the form of tiny particles.

And since of course, neither has an atmosphere (or very small ones) that would explain their similarities.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
To me it looks like watermelon with two radiating evil eyes. Something like a Tim Burton creation. Before anybody see any buildings we must go through 'shapes of tortured souls and screaming sculls" theories.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Bigger pics at the MESSENGER mission site...

messenger.jhuapl.edu...

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Glad I saw this thread....

I just watched the movie Sunshine....good flick. Recommend it for sci-fi fans.As a basic plot, the sun is burning out and has to be re-ignited. Anyways, there is a scene where they do a flyby of Mercury. It's done pretty well (good budget). You can see what appears to be a fairly accurate portrayal of the planet in a specialeffectsy way (that's right, specialeffectsy...look it up). Check it out......I would say it's worth it.

Grafilthy.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Nice pics! Especially the high resolution one.

I must say, when I first saw it I thought no way... that surely is... the Moon! Was even getting excited to debunk the thread. Thank the lord for wikipedia though.

In response to the claim that Mercury may have been the moon of Venus; I'm not so sure. Mercury has a very substantial iron core that provides it with an electromagnetic field, which means that although it is similarly sized to our moon, it would probably not have been a very stable moon of Venus'.

Looking over these pics though... Mercury is very... boring, I'm sorry to say.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by IAttackPeople

This ones especially good

messenger.jhuapl.edu...

new topics

top topics

join