It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voters Have a Dresscode in PA?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Isn't this unconstitutional??

"Republicans in Pennsylvania are backing a legal effort to stop voters from showing up at the polls with T-shirts or buttons expressing their presidential preferences.

Democratic leaders say the GOP is just trying to intimidate new voters.

The fight began after the Pennsylvania Department of State advised counties last month that voters may wear partisan apparel into the voting booth as long as their expressions of political sentiment remain "passive."

The memo isn't legally binding, and some counties that have restricted voters' attire in the past are maintaining their dress codes.

But two Pittsburgh-area elections officials have sued to have the memo rescinded. They say it could lead "a battalion of like-minded individuals" to converge on a polling place, deterring voters who support a different candidate."

Link
Another link

[edit on 7-10-2008 by Shocka]

[edit on 7-10-2008 by Shocka]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
If you are "deterred" from voting your conscious because of some people wearing shirts and buttons, I'm not sure you are mature enough to be voting in the first place.

Perhaps they are afraid of third-party candidate supporters wearing their shirts and buttons, which would result in a lot of people going "Whoa! I didn't know so many people supported 'X'! I guess my vote won't be wasted after all!"

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Most polling places have, however, rules about campaining near them. That includes giving out buttons, bumper stickers, posting signs or other advertisements.

People wearing clothing with political messages I think fall into that sort of ban. I'm not sure that it's a real attempt at intimidating voters, just preventing people from swaying voters.

new topics

join