It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel expected to bomb Iran, French foreign minister says

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Israel expected to bomb Iran, French foreign minister says

www.telegraph. co.uk

I know that some people in Israel and in the army are preparing a military solution or not a solution but a military attack. I don’t know. This is not according to my opinion the solution,” Mr Kouchner told the Israeli daily Ha’aretz in an interview published Sunday, adding that he did not believe Iran acquiring a nuclear weapon would give it any “immunity” from attack.
"First, because you will eat them before. And this is the danger. Because Israel has always said that it will not wait for the bomb to be ready. I think that they [the Iranians] know. Everybody knows,” he said.
The newspaper's print edition quoted Kouchner as saying that Israel would "eat" Iran, but in a written statement the foreign minister said he had used the word "hit," and that he regretted any "phonetic confusion".
Mr Kouchner said French officials believe Iran would be able to produce one bomb within two to four years, though Israeli estimates have suggested the programme is more advanced, and said further talks and sanctions were still the preferred option.
"Iran with an atomic bomb is unacceptable at all,” Mr Kouchner said. “Is the alternative to bomb first? I
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
As if things weren't bad enough . Lets hope cooler heads prevail .
Kinda makes you wonder just what kind of people are running the world and if they care or are even aware just what consequences the people will have to deal with as a result of there actions .
Just what will tomorrow bring ?

www.telegraph. co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Here is one other news story just being posted out of Iran , once again stating that they will not bow to pressure

Iran rejects powers' nuclear pressure in letter

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran will later on Monday hand over a letter to European Union foreign policy chief Javier Solana saying pressure cannot resolve the dispute over Tehran's nuclear programme, Iranian media reported.

A senior Iranian official told Reuters the letter from Iran's chief nuclear negotiator Saeed Jalili and addressed to the foreign ministers of six major powers would be delivered shortly in Brussels but did not give details on its content.

"In the process of talks, pressure cannot resolve the issue," the ISNA news agency quoted Jalili as saying, giving no further information about the letter to the foreign ministers of the United States, Germany, France, Britain, China and Russia.

Iran's Press TV said in a headline: "Iran rejects any pressure on its nuclear programme
www.swissinfo.ch...

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
And lastly a report that states that Israel is in talks with Russia trying to stop the Russian sale of air defences to Iran .

www.telegraph.co.uk...

The Israeli prime minister will press Russian President Dmitry Medvedev not to sell anti-aircraft defences to Iran amid growing speculation the Jewish state will bomb Iran's nuclear facilities.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
This is where both Isreal and Iran are out of everyones hair.

I don't thinl calm heads will prevail... but I do think, we set Isreal up for this all along so when the time came we could alter religion and the region to our aims without fighting WW3 to do it.

I say look for Isreal to first strike and be destroyed by Russia or by proxy in the region... and the US and Nato failing to step in as Isreal makes the first strike... and that is our reason to not get involved

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I just hope that if Israel does hit Iran, they will do so with such authority and level of destruction that eliminates this threat.

I just wish the US, as happened in WWII, did a lend/lease and lent them about fifty B-52-s loaded out for some serious destruction.

We'll have a war with Iran eventually. The longer we all wait, the greater the effort required. Personally, I rather the massive casualties be one-sided.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

With you there doper. There's too much religion/oil/politics going on in the ME and by the US and Russia behind the scenes to avoid a major confrontation/incident. If the Iran (the main pillar within The Axis of Evil) is to be taken out then best get it on soon before this confrontation thing turns nuclear.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Yet one more report where NATO states that the " World can't stop Iran nukes "

The secretary-general of NATO said he does not think the world will be able to stop Iran from building a nuclear bomb.

Jaap de Hoop Scheffer told a World Policy Conference in southeast France organized by a French think tank that the United Nations has failed to halt Iran's nuclear program, Reuters reported Monday.

www.jta.org...

Does anyone know if Israel has received those bunker buster's from the US. as of yet ?

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I think it is virtually guaranteed that the same day Israel believes that Iran has a working nuclear bomb they will attack first. My greatest fear, and I hope I am wrong, is that the inevitable Israeli attack will be nuclear rather than conventional.

Consider the following:

1. Israel doesn't have a large enough military to wipe out all of Iran's threats with conventional power.
2. Many of Iran's nuclear installations are so well protected that a conventional attack will likely not destroy them.
3. Israel will certainly be counterattacked so they need to preserve as much of their conventional force as they can for defense of their homeland.
4. Israel doesn't have a good air route to attack Iran. Their best attack route was from Georgia but Russia preempted that scenario. (This is possibly the REAL reason for their invasion of Georgia but that is already being discussed on another thread.)
5. Israel will not be able to mount repeated attacks on Iran – their first attack has to do the job completely.
6. Israel has very few friends so they will probably be no more hated for a nuclear attack than a conventional one.
7. It appears that the US has told Israel we will not support or approve an attack on Iran (I'm still not sure about this one – it could be disinformation.)

This all leads me to believe that Israel faces a horrible choice. They cannot live with a nuclear armed Iran – that would be suicide. They don’t have the conventional military power to fight Iran and destroy the threat. They aren’t getting any serious support from the international community on sanctions and diplomacy. They apparently aren’t going to get military help from the US. That only leaves one option that I can see.

Now before anyone attacks me and calls me a war monger, I say again, I am not promoting this idea – only stating that the possibility exists. The more Israel is abandoned and ostracized by the rest of the world (the US included) the more it becomes like a cornered wild animal. The world needs to understand that the “Sampson Option” should be considered a real possibility.

According to the site fas.org (The Federation of American Scientists) Israel’s nuclear arsenal is estimated to be from 100 to 400 weapons. Their Jericho 2 missiles are thought to have a range of 2000 to 4000km. They also have three diesel submarines that are believed to be armed with a few (maybe 10 or 12) nuclear cruise missiles. Given that much power, as well as second strike capability, I would expect other nuclear powers like Russia and China to opt not to get involved.

This is why I think the Iranian situation is SO dangerous. But as I said before, this is just my opinion.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I think we need to institute an inspection of all of Israels weapons systems and nuclear facilities. We should use scientists from other countries who have no religious or social ties to Israel. We should also withold any further $$$$ until they have withdrawn from the West Bank and COMPLY with the previous U.S. negotiated treaties.

Or just leave them uncovered to the mid-east, screw em, I don't need them or their attitudes.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
^ Exactly. Thats why when it comes down to it, Russia and China will not intervene with Israel. Israel has second strike nuclear capability and Russia and China both dont want to lose 10-20 cities a piece because of Iran. Sure, there would be no more Israel left either, but they (the Israelis already know that and have taken that into account).

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Good thinking. Let me give you another scenario:

Since the air approach over land will be not only noticed, but verifiable, regardless of whether they can fly it or not may not be the approach of Israel.

Imagine a number of "tramp steamers" and other assorted junk ships randomly traversing somewhere between Masqat and Karachi, but instead of hauling bulk cargo, they are fitted with nuclear tipped cruise missiles?

Launched at the right time, even if the launch points are noted, the launch is on the way, there is no way to positively identify the source country, and if arrangements sufficiently planned enable the Israeli launch groups to evade and egress the area, then who's to say who did what?

Just like Iran does with Hizballah. Plausible denial.

Off a handful of ships, especially if the cruise missiles are of the stealth generation, you can rig that deal to launch 40-80 nuclear missiles in just a few minutes.

And of course the US has publicly warned Israel not to attack. Plausible deniability. And if any proof is subsequently provided to indicate the attack originated from Israel, of course the US will be suitably critical.

The source of the launch? Who did it? Who knows! Maybe some fanatical Christian anti-Islamic group! Maybe a group of pirate/thugs. Maybe . . . maybe . . . etc.

That is how I'd do it. Keep your opponent's attention in one direction while you ease around and take out the back of his head.

Pop those puppies!

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

I'm with you. The less casualities the better. Especially for both sides. I wouldn't want the people of Iran to suffer simply because they have a crazy leader bent on using nuclear weapons once he gets them.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by bjbrown61

Yep. You get the leader you deserve.

If your leader brings destruction down on your head, then you were the ones who put him there, you were the ones who followed him, allowed him to continue, and you should be the ones who reap what your leaders sow.

You just gotta know that the German people in 1945 were some kind of pissed at themselves as they looked around at all the rubble! Do you notice that you can't pry German military forces out of Germany for nothing! Do you think that is imprinted on the collective German conscious? And how about Japan? Same thing.

There's a lot to say for the way the Masters of Warfare throughout the millennia fought. They absolutely destroyed their enemies, and then didn't have to worry about that section of territory for generations!

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
reply to post by bjbrown61

Yep. You get the leader you deserve.

If your leader brings destruction down on your head, then you were the ones who put him there, you were the ones who followed him, allowed him to continue, and you should be the ones who reap what your leaders sow.

You just gotta know that the German people in 1945 were some kind of pissed at themselves as they looked around at all the rubble! Do you notice that you can't pry German military forces out of Germany for nothing! Do you think that is imprinted on the collective German conscious? And how about Japan? Same thing.

There's a lot to say for the way the Masters of Warfare throughout the millennia fought. They absolutely destroyed their enemies, and then didn't have to worry about that section of territory for generations!

The people of Iran did not put their "leader" there. It has been proven by several impartial election observors that the elections in Iran were fixed. Fair elections in Iran are just a no go. Also, Ahmadinejad is not a leader. The people in no way deserve any military conflict.

Perhaps someone with a good military understanding could help shed on light on how this would play out?...

[edit on 7-10-2008 by theblunttruth]

[edit on 7-10-2008 by theblunttruth]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Dooper, And what if Russia/China decide to lend Iran weaponry what then. Its really nice how all you rascist biggots are quite happy to see the destruction of another country and its people and one that poses no threat to anyone which cannot be said of Israel.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom
Dooper, And what if Russia/China decide to lend Iran weaponry what then. Its really nice how all you rascist biggots are quite happy to see the destruction of another country and its people and one that poses no threat to anyone which cannot be said of Israel.

I don't agree or support a military solution, but lets get this straight, Iran IS a threat to more countries than Israel is. It is a threat to Israel, a threat to Lebanon, Saudi Arabia not to mention its interfering in Iraq and Afghanistan. This illusion that Iran and its regime are "peacefu" is tantamount to ignorance!

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Theblunt, no doubt you can back up your statements with proofs of course. Just who are they a threat to, who have they attacked and when, or is it just a case of that you believe what you are told and cannot decide for yourself what is truth or fiction.

I have not heard of any Iran Samson option have you? And its rich, interfering in Iraq and Afganistan, oh I see what you mean, they are trying to help their neighbours from being murdered by a corrupt dictatorship who's sole object is to rape and pillage the ME. Yes I have heard of the axis of evil the UK/USA/ISRAEL and what a cheek to think that these people think that they have a right to stand up for themselves and fight the foreign invader how dare they, dont they know their place, what a joke.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

Yep. You get the leader you deserve. If your leader brings destruction down on your head, then you were the ones who put him there, you were the ones who followed him, allowed him to continue, and you should be the ones who reap what your leaders sow.

That is so, so wrong, especially if by chance you are American , because never have I heard words so perfectly fitting to the situation that my American brothers and sisters find themselves in. The " Allowed him to continue" phrase is especially apt, dont you think?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join