It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taliban split with al Qaeda, seek peace

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Taliban split with al Qaeda, seek peace

edition.cnn.com

Taliban leaders are holding Saudi-brokered talks with the Afghan government to end the country's bloody conflict -- and are severing their ties with al Qaeda.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
A day or two after a high ranking British officer tells the world the War cannot be Won, the Taliban do the same.

There has to be something behind this, other than the sudden realization nobody can win this War?

Several Afghan sources familiar with Iranian activities in Afghanistan have said Iranian officials and diplomats who are investing in business and building education facilities are lobbying politicians in Kabul.

Could this be the start of a diversion of resources elsewhere, to support action in Iran? if Iranian forces are behind what is suggested, then maybe this is the start of what has been dreaded over the past few months by many.

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6/10/2008 by azzllin]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Iran actually tried to broker a peace in 2002 - but was rejected by the USA , they tried again in 2003 and tried for USA support and were again rejected by the USA.

its actually in Iran`s interests for a peaceful neighbour - so if iran is behind this sudden break out in peace then good for them.

stop all the war moungering rhetoric comeing from certain countries.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I hear what you saying, and I think your right to an extent, The Taliban could have taken full advantage of what the British said, But they come out and say exactly the same thing.

I think there are a lot of countries involved in this, and it is about bloody time, what makes me think this is a website, Here i read yesterday, where an Investigator of some kind, found illegal donations to one side of the Presidential campaign, he allegedly reported it, and was ignored, I know Election looming ETC.

Maybe here is an International push, to stop whatever may be planned, at least until this Election is over, or are they fighting something more sinister and bigger?

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I think its odd also that the British just came out and said the war in Afghanistan cannot be won unless the Taliban agree to sit down and have peace talks. Looks like this could be just what the Republican party was hoping for, take credit for a negotiated peace plan with the Taliban.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Hmm..now Fox is reporting that they met, but did not talk peace.

www.foxnews.com...

Taliban spokesman Qari Yousef Ahmadi denied Monday that any peace talks had taken place.

It appears that the Saudis have been trying to work a deal but that the Taliban is saying they didn't talk peace.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
This story actually legitimizes the notion that Al-Qaeda and the Taliban had a marriage. In effect, there is no al-Qaeda. There is merely a response to an invasion, ethnic cleansing, torture and other horrors against humanity. These very same people who have been defending their own homeland, have been conveniently lumped together to be identified by the West as Al-Qaeda.

The Taliban, or the government of Afghanistan at the time of that country’s invasion and occupation, are a group of people whom have been focusing internally - and simply desire to live out their own culture, under their own sovereignty.

The continued connection between the two groups, with Osama bin Laden purported to be acting as liaison, is something that the West needs in order to continue its marching orders on the War on Terror. Interestingly enough, Pakistan and Afghanistan are commencing to ‘flip-flop’ on roles that neither wanted to take on, regardless of which side of the spectrum they fall on. 5pillar.wordpress.com

top topics

join