It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Qld police cars to carry corporate ads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Qld police cars to carry corporate ads

au.news.yahoo.com

The Queensland opposition has questioned a deal allowing police cars to carry stickers bearing corporate advertising.

Under a $100,000 sponsorship deal between Crime Stoppers and the Brisbane Airport Corporation (BAC), stickers will be placed on the sides of all Queensland police vehicles.

A BAC spokeswoman said it would have a 15cm square area featuring its name and logo on a sticker which it will share with state government and Crime Stoppers logos.

BAC operates Brisbane Airport under a long-term lease from the commonwealth.

BAC managing director and CEO Koen Rooijmans said the sponsorship would promote Crime Stoppers and help pay rewards for information leading to the arrest of offenders.

"The police service dedicates significant time and resources to keeping Brisbane Airport safe and secure for our passengers, so it is immensely gratifying to assist such a positive initiative like Crime Stoppers, who work so hard to keep Queensland safe and crime-free," Mr Rooijmans said.

Crime Stoppers Queensland state manager Trevor O'Hara said the organisation would use the extra resources to increase its profile in Queensland and "make our communities safer places to live".

But opposition police spokesman Vaughan Johnson said he had some concerns.

"We certainly welcome BAC's sponsorship of Crime Stoppers as it's a worthy cause," Mr Johnson said.

"But how much further is this going to go? Does this open the door for more controversial advertising to creep into the public service sectors?

"I don't think anyone wants to see fast food outlets advertised on ambulance vehicles because

they've donated some critical equipment."

Premier Anna Bligh said BAC was a commercial organisation and made its own decisions on sponsorship.

"I think Crime Stoppers is a very well respected community organisation," she said.

"It does a great job out there and I don't see any problem with (the sponsorship agreement)."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Crime stoppers is a worthwhile thing, but to have any corporate sponsorship on police cars is not right. I would hate to see the day when a company like Mc Donalds was advertised on a police car, so I dont think that this is a good thing. Just imagine the day when cop cars would look like a race car with all the sponsorship. I mean I know it would not go that far, but this is a step in that direction. Just wondering peoples opinions on this.

au.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Woo! OCP here we come, ''give up your rights and liberties you have 20 seconds to comply.'' Have to admit seeing ED-209's patrol streets would be pretty sweet... or would it...

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I agree with you.

And it just goes to show how pathetically money-hungry State governments are.

A paltry $100,000 !

I think it's just the tip of the iceberg which will be followed by FAR more lucrative deals between corporate whores and the scum with the hide to call themselves 'government'.

It could and should be viewed as potential conflict of interest and the Opposition need to smack this right down, now.

top topics

join