It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Traveling Messages

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I've been thinking about this for a long time and wondering what other people think. Let's say that you somehow ended up in either the past or the future, how would you go about leaving a message for yourself to find later? (This is assuming that you couldn't just walk up and tell yourself)

I think it would be great to hear some ideas and unique ways to send or receive message while time traveling.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I'd fear the repercussions of communicating with my present self from either past or future. I would deduce that it could potentially create somewhat of a butterfly effect.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malzypants
I'd fear the repercussions of communicating with my present self from either past or future. I would deduce that it could potentially create somewhat of a butterfly effect.

Agreed. Lets just say for idea's sake that in this particular universe there are only infinite possibilities and no butterfly type like effcts. In this case I'm thinking it would be to commincate a very important message.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
well, i know me, i i know i would be skeptical of another me, so i would not believe a message unless it was either a video message or some type of thing that was so personal that it had to be me. the paramount thing would be getting me to believe me.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by atzmaz

lol read my signature! stared and flagged my friend.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by atzmaz

Originally posted by Malzypants

Agreed. Lets just say for idea's sake that in this particular universe there are only infinite possibilities and no butterfly type like effcts. In this case I'm thinking it would be to commincate a very important message.

Even if it IS very important, who am I to decide whether or not changing a string of events is the right choice?

If there were no repercussions to communication with your past or future self, then why would you communicate at all? I don't see myself sending a video through time that says "today is October 5th, and damn, you look hot today!"

The only reason you would communciate is to create change...right?

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by atzmaz

if you go to the future.. you allready know what you did.. the only option is leaving messages to your earlier self in the past.. and with that .. you have many options.. depending on how far back you go.. your best bet is to go back to the point where your interest in time travel was a point where your earlier self would believe a message from the future.. not to far back as to blow your mind.. unless you really needed to change something that happened in the past.. but then your getting into some real paradoxes.. that might begin to spin out of control...lol.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I know that i wouldn't head any warnings of danger. If i had a choice to change something that i considered important to me then i would do it. I wouldn't just walk up to myself or anyone that i know. More than likely i would strategically set a chain of coincidental occurrences that i would be likely to put together for example:

1.) Log into a personal server which i only use for my secret and personal information in case something happened to me, and leave folders of information on the prospect of time travel.

2.) Enroll myself into classes at my college dealing with time travel theory, and mathematics with specific instructions to the school to notify me when class begins. Courses that would guarantee the level of intelligence needed!

3.) Place objects in secret spots that i have found before the past me moved there so that i could find them and would be curious as to how and why this info was seemingly left for me.

4.) Would somehow make sure that the past me didn't do anything that would jeopardized my past changing the positives in my future life.

5.) insure that the past me some how is introduced the key people to help my mission.

6.) Place some kind of item or clue at the right time to help the past me realize all the strange coincidences which will spark action without direct intervention!

I can't say these things would work but hey it sound's good in theory so for
, and it only took me a few minutes to come up with it! It's funny though because i say i would push myself in the right direction, and yet here i am theorizing how a future me would help a present me. Maybe its working...

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Read The Door InTo Summer by Robert Heinlein. It gives an interesting twist on time trave. He wrote some others, but they escape me right now. I would reccomend and of the Lazarus Long stories. Some of them deal with some disturbing issues, but they are interesting.

If I wanted to leave a message to my older self, I would leave the message with a lawyer, sum paid in full, for delivery to a certain place, at a specified time.
The same thing could work, if the older self can travel back in time. Read the novel. What have you got to lose? If nothing else, you will be well entertained.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by No one will believe me
1.) Log into a personal server which i only use for my secret and personal information in case something happened to me, and leave folders of information on the prospect of time travel.

3.) Place objects in secret spots that i have found before the past me moved there so that i could find them and would be curious as to how and why this info was seemingly left for me.

6.) Place some kind of item or clue at the right time to help the past me realize all the strange coincidences which will spark action without direct intervention!

I can't say these things would work but hey it sound's good in theory so for
, and it only took me a few minutes to come up with it! It's funny though because i say i would push myself in the right direction, and yet here i am theorizing how a future me would help a present me. Maybe its working...

These are great suggestions. I'm looking into the idea of a personal server, and wonder what format would be best for this type of thing.

Number 6 was even more interesting to me. What if you had found something but had no idea what it meant?

Again thanks for your inventive suggestions and a star to you for the great imagination.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by atzmaz
. . .how would you go about leaving a message for yourself to find later? (This is assuming that you couldn't just walk up and tell yourself)

How would you contact yourself? Why that's easy. With "cingularity"!

2PacSade-

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
its easy.you leave it anywhere,tell your future self where to find it,and voila its there,for them in the future it always was there the minute you left it.

comminucating with the future is simple as the actions we make now will be the reality the future has always known,so if i send an email to a secure account.those 50 years in the future just need to open that account and the email would have been lying there for 50 years.

it gets interesting when you can commincate directly brain to brain throughout time,your actions would be guided about what your future self tells you,thus you will constantly be changing the timeline of your future by the second.
but the way time works is that any changes will appear to have been the reality we all know,the timeline thats always been.

thus any time manipulations can not be seen,they pass hidden and unknown only those with time travel can see the changes.

say i travel back in time and make sure jfk wasnt killed, the result would be a world in which he never was,all the way untill the end of time jfk wasnt killed,no one would know the difference,all memories and events surrounding his death no longer exist and they never did.we now wouldnt notice the change as it would be in the history books,on tv,in our minds jfk wasnt killed.

you change the past,you change the present and all between.
the timeline could be changed a billion times a day and no one CAN notice.

thus time manipulation is the most powerful force of control,if you control a worlds timeline,you control that world unseen untill that world itself,say earth, themselves discover time travel.

i suspect humanity will be subdued and tamed before we discover time travel,if we ever did our future selves would come back and affect us,but there not,something else is,whos erased our future and ability to ever time travel.

top topics

join