It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gays, medically born Gay? Gays superior to Strieghts?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghost147

Alright ask yourself this then:

When did I choose to be straight? And how often do I have to remind myself that I made that choice?

You most likely never had to do any of that right? You just knew. That's just the way it always is. Right?

People are born with their sexual orientation.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

You have brought up some good article; some make some sense, however: I do not support all of the articles that are written. Most of what science can offer is their hypothesis of what they think only their opinion (nothing more) what I would like to know if these scientist were all straight to come to their conclusion.
I bet if we have gay scientist do their hypothesis on homosexuality we would reading and understanding homosexuality in a different light.What is printed in many texts books is only what straight scientist wants the world to understand so that really make it really one sided doesn’t it.

What causes a person to have a particular sexual orientation?

There is no consensus among scientists about the exact reasons that an individual develops a heterosexual, bisexual, gay, or lesbian orientation. Although much research has examined the possible genetic, hormonal, developmental, social, and cultural influences on sexual orientation, no findings have emerged that permit scientists to conclude that sexual orientation is determined by any particular factor or factors. Many think that nature and nurture both play complex roles; most people experience little or no sense of choice about their sexual orientation.

Is homosexuality a mental disorder?
No, lesbian, gay, and bisexual orientations are not disorders. Research has found no inherent association between any of these sexual orientations and psychopathology. Both heterosexual behavior and homosexual behavior are normal aspects of human sexuality. Both have been documented in many different cultures and historical eras. Despite the persistence of stereotypes that portray lesbian, gay, and bisexual people as disturbed, several decades of research and clinical experience have led all mainstream medical and mental health organizations in this country to conclude that these orientations represent normal forms of human experience. Lesbian, gay, and bisexual relationships are normal forms of human bonding. Therefore, these mainstream organizations long ago abandoned classifications of homosexuality as a mental disorder.
www.apa.org...

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I really can't believe theres still so much confusion. The nuture theory went out the window years ago. This research into gay men's and women's brain similarities was started years ago. At this point in time its actual discrimination to even be discussing this as less than a born and therefore a normal biological variation of the species that suffers no unhappiness or problems when treated with respect and consideration by others. This isn't a disease, it requires no treatment, just acceptance, and a basic minding our own business.
Women and gay men both share more connectors between the two hemispheres. Gay women and straight men share less connectors. There are other similarities as well.
There is nothing that any nurture issue can due with the human species that changes our brain structure. Your mother doesn't have that power. Mutation of human biology takes considerably longer and can't be done in one lifetime.
Religion aside, lack of acceptance for homosexuality is gender oriented. I didn't appreciate a friend of my ex's bisexual girlfriend being left alone with me while I was pregnant. She had some kind of fetish for pregnant women and was all over me continually. That was just her though. A lesbian friend was very respectful of me, and chivalrous and stayed over to protect my property when it was in danger, but never once made a pass. Men react more to male homosexuals, but often fantasize about two women. Women actually feel the opposite quite naturally.
Japan is an interesting case. Their religions do not discriminate against homosexuals. In fact, it is accepted as normal to experiment in various ways when young. Now I read an in depth reason given for why Jrock, or specifically, Visual Kei and cross dressing in their rock music came about. Note, this is my favorite music, and these guys are absolutely beautiful to me, and so talented. Yet what surprises many western men is that they are often straight. In Japan, women are revolting against the chauvinism of that country and marriages have fallen, along with the birth rate, enormously. I actually read a piece in their news promoting teenage intimacy, to encourage more children. Their economy is strong because of their numbers, or at least it was before this deliberate melt down.
I love their manga and anime too, and want to make my own manga. I'm an aritist. Certain mangas came out that were gay romances. They are very romantic, and written by women. It became a woman's dream to want a gay man, who they assumed would be more willing in the housework and more likely to be their friends. Of course this is completely unrealistic to the true gay men, who naturally prefer men. But this grew until the music industry realized they gained profit by appealing to the women in the audience by presenting non-macho men. In other words it appeals to a certain rebellion by women.
I found the article really interesting. Religion distorts a lot of things. Its the primary reason this issue is still an issue.

[edit on 6-10-2008 by mystiq]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:18 AM
link   
The secret to life is to extend the same wish for happiness and joy to everyone as you wish for yourself and your own family. This means dropping all forms of discrimination against everyone due to their age, sex, sexual orientation, ethnic origins, religion, or health.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by mystiq
The secret to life is to extend the same wish for happiness and joy to everyone as you wish for yourself and your own family. This means dropping all forms of discrimination against everyone due to their age, sex, sexual orientation, ethnic origins, religion, or health.

quite beautiful
(and true)

I've said this once,and I've said it a thousand times. If people stopped looking at each other and seeing how we're different. And looked at how we're all alike. The world would be a better place.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by cashlink

OK, I wasn't going to do this, but apparently it's time for me to come out of the ATS closet too. First, I'm probably older than you, based on your pic in your avatar, so I've had considerable time to research this, and it was very important to me in order to understand myself. In the 'nurture' section of my last post it states "an overly affectionate and dominant mother and a passive father" and "sexual preference may develop when a child engages in early cross-gender behaviors". This absolutely describes my parents and myself to a tee! I was just as at home as a small child playing army with the boys as I was playing house with the girls, and my mother was the poster child for overprotective mothers. Add that to my father's absence from age 3 to 6, and wha-la, gay! That is why I am saying that both nature and nuture are true. Some of us are one way and others are the other way. You alway knew (nature) and I didn't realize it until puberty (nurture). Neither is better than the other, just different, like we all are.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:57 AM
link   
The truth is that people are born with their preference, even if they're bi, and then in addition experience a certain kind of childhood. Many straight people share the same kind of childhood as well, and trust me many children of varying sexual orientations share far more dysfunctional families, with things in their closet that are very hard to deal with. But these things don't have the power to alter them biologically.
This is just a natural variation of nature, which never will fit into our neat little boxes. In fact, its the variations that make life interesting and more rewarding.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by mystiq

If you knew me, you'd understand. And why can't it be both?

PS- Thanks for the help in that other thread! WOW!

[edit on 6-10-2008 by JaxonRoberts]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by mystiq
I really can't believe theres still so much confusion. The nuture theory went out the window years ago. This research into gay men's and women's brain similarities was started years ago. At this point in time its actual discrimination to even be discussing this as less than a born and therefore a normal biological variation of the species that suffers no unhappiness or problems when treated with respect and consideration by others. This isn't a disease, it requires no treatment, just acceptance, and a basic minding our own business.
Women and gay men both share more connectors between the two hemispheres. Gay women and straight men share less connectors. There are other similarities as well.
There is nothing that any nurture issue can due with the human species that changes our brain structure. Your mother doesn't have that power. Mutation of human biology takes considerably longer and can't be done in one lifetime.
Religion aside, lack of acceptance for homosexuality is gender oriented. I didn't appreciate a friend of my ex's bisexual girlfriend being left alone with me while I was pregnant. She had some kind of fetish for pregnant women and was all over me continually. That was just her though. A lesbian friend was very respectful of me, and chivalrous and stayed over to protect my property when it was in danger, but never once made a pass. Men react more to male homosexuals, but often fantasize about two women. Women actually feel the opposite quite naturally.
Japan is an interesting case. Their religions do not discriminate against homosexuals. In fact, it is accepted as normal to experiment in various ways when young. Now I read an in depth reason given for why Jrock, or specifically, Visual Kei and cross dressing in their rock music came about. Note, this is my favorite music, and these guys are absolutely beautiful to me, and so talented. Yet what surprises many western men is that they are often straight. In Japan, women are revolting against the chauvinism of that country and marriages have fallen, along with the birth rate, enormously. I actually read a piece in their news promoting teenage intimacy, to encourage more children. Their economy is strong because of their numbers, or at least it was before this deliberate melt down.
I love their manga and anime too, and want to make my own manga. I'm an aritist. Certain mangas came out that were gay romances. They are very romantic, and written by women. It became a woman's dream to want a gay man, who they assumed would be more willing in the housework and more likely to be their friends. Of course this is completely unrealistic to the true gay men, who naturally prefer men. But this grew until the music industry realized they gained profit by appealing to the women in the audience by presenting non-macho men. In other words it appeals to a certain rebellion by women.
I found the article really interesting. Religion distorts a lot of things. Its the primary reason this issue is still an issue.

I like this post

I often get so confused with myself and wonder what really makes me having these weird ideas...Im a straight "male" but I feel so much more comfortable about women and gay men...one of my beswt friends is a gay guy and I love him! I frequently I say/think "I wish I was gay..or a woman...and marry a bi/gay guy!" I feel the opposite of what a straight male generally feels: feminine, gay-loving( both males and females)
I never really had a relationship with a woman because they tend to see me as their "little"(Im 1.90 and slender, so pretty tall) gay friend
)
There was this thing last summer with a lesbian girl which was confusing....she fell in love with me :\ Very difficult situation but we ended up being friends

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
use the internet long enough and it will have you thinking your king tut.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

Now, the tricky party. What is the purpose of every species on the planet? To continue the species, aka reproduce. In an isolated environment, "Survival of the Fittest" would kick in, and the gay individuals would die out as a species, as something intrical is missing from their lives. However, society counteracts survival of the fittest, and as such, as no bearing on the individuals well being or ability to survive. Others can carry on the species.

Sigh.

Survival of the fittest has nothing to do with it.If you cannot adapt then it doesn't matter how strong you are.It also has nothing to do with evolution.Please follow the link for more information.
www.abovetopsecret.com...'

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by cashlink

You know if more people in the world were gay than straight, then we wouldn’t be having this conversation would we. There is no different being born with blur eyes, or black eyes, or black skin, or white skin, to being born straight, or gay.

No offence, but am i the only one who sees the irony of this...

If people were gay then...... we wouldn't have as many children.... and then if even more people were gay. We wouldn't have any children, thus there would be nobody to have this conversation.

No offence, but i found it funny.

link   

Although much research has examined the possible genetic, hormonal, developmental, social, and cultural influences on sexual orientation, no findings have emerged that permit scientists to conclude that sexual orientation is determined by any particular factor or factors. Many think that nature and nurture both play complex roles; most people experience little or no sense of choice about their sexual orientation.

Very true.

I would also say that those who do the 'research' are funded predominantly by religious organizations and are therefore the results are biased because such organizations have an ulterior motive.Surveys must be unbiased 100%

For those who don't believe me,just search on line and you'll see that 95% of all homosexual surveys etc are done by religious groups.

link   

Dude please don't trake offence to my query (allthough can't see why you should your obviously a smart man) but when I first saw your avatar I immediately thought "GAY".

Now bearing in mind your avatar could have been of any b loke in the world and not necassarily you.

Why is it do you think I presumed you to be gay, is this some sort of subconcious stereotyping going on here, what exactly is it in that picture that makes me think that man is gay without me even considering it ?

Was it just a lucky guess? well I wasn't guessing I just knew , equally baffelling to me is what if I'm wrong?

Any thoughts on this ?

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Survival of the fittest, throughout history, variations have survived along with the average configuration, so it doesn't really answer much. Also, enough children are being born as it is. Having children was never given to every straight person either. Life is about variety and variation.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Congradulations! and I do agree that its both nature and nurture. However, i dont believe that they are two different factors completely. As Mystiq said, "you are born with your sexual preferance" However, i do agree that your enviroment when you are growing up is also a key factor, but these factors cannot be seperated.

[edit on 6/10/08 by Ghost147]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Mercuryae

Theres so many natural variations, that it really doesn't matter. I find people who are much more relaxed about these things naturally more intelligent and inquisitive. One friend who I actual began by dating would never get close physically, but I found out afterwards that he had been considering marrying me. In the end when I was dating my ex husband to be, he
told me that he never knew if he was gay or not. He was one of many children in a family, and his father and grandfather were ministers. But he said he preferred looking at womens legs to men so he didn't think so.
And then there are bisexuals as well. Thats a whole different story.
Whereas my lesbian friend was chivalrous and had honor and was a very decent "guy" with every vibe she gave out, and a great and sought after bass player, I ran from the bisexual woman who was looking at my loom and talking about us weaving somehow. Lol. I started to explain about the spinning I loved to do, and the different color combinations, and she interrupted and said this could go anyway I wanted. I said, "I'm straight, I'm straight. I have no choice that way." But she didn't stop pursuing me. Though this again is not all bisexuals, but it became my opinion for a while that they may be over-sexed as a group.
No, I don't want to get into any arguments over that, because bi-sexuals are probably far better at explaining things than I am. Of course meeting a male bi-sexual, who truly liked women as well, was no big deal. I would have dated him if I had been single at the time, because we liked each other. Perhaps I find that to be the bigger mystery.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Hello,
I suppose homosexuals are born with this defect; why would Anyone Choose to be a homosexual?
I haven't read all the comments but wish say that it's pretty funny that people like these are thought to be superior??
Supreior to What?

images.google.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

Actually I think this synopsys is incorrect. Brains grow with usage and stimulation as with any other organ in the body. Thus, the physical attributes of the brain do not cause the homosexual tendencies, but quite the opposite. It's the homosexual characteristics being nurtured into the developing brain of the child that cause the physical attributes mentioned in the quote.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Veritas Lux Mea

Your environment has nothing to do with your sexuality. It has to do with hormone washes of the developing foetus. That's all.

I can't believe, in the 21st century, that people like you think that nonsense is true. Wow.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join