It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Time To Get Rid Of All Incumbents, All Of Them

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
It's time to get rid of all Senator's and Congress folks.

I don't know about you but I've had it. I'm sick of getting screwed by both the left and the right which is why I think it's time to get rid of all of them.

It may appear as if I usually defend folks on the right but that's only because I see people defending folks on the left as if they are saints, with impunity.
Since they don't have any term limits so I think it's time they all get voted out.

As a kid in high school I used to say all politicians were crooks. As I grew older and started getting involved in politics I changed my tune and started understanding why things are done the way they are done.
I guess I became more forgiving but now with everything that has gone on with "our" financial crisis I find myself resorting back to my original sentiments about politicians and once again I truly believe they are all crooks.
Every last single one of them, crooks, whole crooks and nothing but crooks.

How many of you remember when you were a kid and you were told that "the White House belongs to all citizens of the United States"?
Well it look like they are still doing the same thing today, just check out this presidentialmuseum.org site they have for kids.

Yeah, they say it belongs to US but what do you think would happen if we decide to do a sleepover sometime, if just for one evening?
Yeah, we'd have our 15 minutes of fame instantly.

There's power in numbers which is why I think we should all review the list of everyone in the Senate and in Congress, lookover this list to determine how long they have all been there and vote them all out.
I'm merely saying voting out ALL incumbents and get them replaced with all new people.

I'm not sure but I'm hoping that would mean the winner get the White House and the loser is left jobless.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I agree. But don't just vote for the OTHER republican or democrat. Like the presidency, there are other parties. Vote Libertarian, Constitution, Green, whatever. Shake things up.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Good plan. Loam has posted a great thread with all those who were in favor and even worse, those who changed their vote to Yes. I say, chuck 'em out on their ear.
Roll Call by Loam

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blueracer
I agree. But don't just vote for the OTHER republican or democrat. Like the presidency, there are other parties. Vote Libertarian, Constitution, Green, whatever. Shake things up.

That would be great but wouldn't that pretty much waste your vote and allow the incumbent to remain in power?
There's gotta be a way to accomplish this.
Maybe a Republican Congress and a Democrat Senate, of all fresh faces?

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
And what good would it do to vote in dems and reps? There isn't a dimes worth of difference between the two. You would get more of the same. Except with different faces.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I don't think so.
I think they behave they way they do now because of no term limits.
Currently, they can continue to run for unlimited 6 year and 2 year terms.
At least the new folks will know theirs is not a permanent position and hopefully work more effectively as a result

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
*heavy sigh*

While I find it comforting that so many have realized that what has occurred was in fact, by strict definition, treason, I fail to understand why you haven't realized that the key 'enabling' factor in the entire affair is nothing less than the two party system itself.

It has so many believing that the actors they put on screen are 'really' thinking for themselves, and in control of what they do in office. That kind of thinking is naive, at best, reckless at worst. The beginning of solving this problem will come when America realizes that Hollywood and Big Business 'create' the fantasy that political parties are meaningful possessing power to change or control things. It's not up to them, it hasn't been up to them for nearly a century.

New faces may disrupt the pattern, it may delay a plan or event, but it is not in and of itself a solution.

Please look into the parties themselves, are they really different? If instead of judging them by what they say, judge them by what they do. Are they really different? Examine instead of what they claim, who they are. Are they any different at all?

Stop consuming, start discerning. Yes, there may be a few good apples in the rotting mass of the political parties. But in the end, is that really enough to endorse an entire party? Because there is one or two good people in it? This is our childrens future, this is our legacy, can we really do the same thing we did before and expect a different result?

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Well voting them out is a good but unrealistic plan.

How about term limits?

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I've been making pretty much the same statement in every post I've made about government, and the bailout. And I agree with the original poster. I would love to see alternative parties in, but at the is point in time Americans are too brainwashed by the powers that be to vote for anything buy a Republican or a Democrat.
So listen up! This is the plan. Are you a liberatarian? Run as a Republican. Are you a Green Party Member? Run as a Democrat. Are you truly an Independent? Then flip a damned coin. The main thing is to get elected. Then, and only then, can Congress actually get something done that will make a real difference in this country.
I know I'm going to catch a lot of flak for making this suggestion, but Barney Frank(who I personally think is an idiot) said he ran as a Democrat because he knew he could never get elected as Liberatarian or an Independent. (There are rare exceptions, but the key word here is RARE!)
So decide what you believe, and why you believe it, then ally yourself with the party that comes closet to what you believe and do everything you can to get elected.
Maybe you can't run for national office. Okay, run for a state office. Can't run for a state office? Then run for a city or county position.
Talk to your like minded friends. If you don't feel you can run, then maybe one of them can. But those that don't know their history are doomed to repeat it. Those that know there history, but don't do anything, are doomed to the same fate.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
I think they behave they way they do now because of no term limits.

i'm not quite sure if that statement is 100% acurate.

i think a larger part is that their behavior is simply dictated by the special interest groups/corporations/PAC's they receive money from.

the politicians are more like sock puppets belonging to the corporations. come elction time, they put on a halloween costume and pretend to appeal to the masses to get the vote.

it's a joke, and george carlin summarized things quite well when he spoke about who the real owners of america are:
www.youtube.com...

other than that, i do agree with you that it's high time to vote out congress, and the senate. the question remains, who's honest enough to be put in there? how do you know?

at this point, i know that i will not be voting for our rep or senators (california) nor will i be voting for either party for the presidency. i don't really like any of the alternates but i may just waste my vote.

as it now stands, california is going to obama in electoral votes (another thing that should be abolished imo, along with the federal reserve) so it really does not matter who i vote for anyways, since it will be a ;andslide out here as far as the popular vote goes.

the sonner this empire crumbles, the sooner it can start getting fixed - probably not tho.

seems like the root problem in any country is simply greed - and how do you eliminate that from human psychology?

[edit on 5-10-2008 by lostcoyote]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blueracer
And what good would it do to vote in dems and reps? There isn't a dimes worth of difference between the two. You would get more of the same. Except with different faces.

Mainly becuase you disrupt all the existing specil interest and lobby connections. It's not a perfect solution but it is one we can implement --- IF we can all getr organized --- in less than 30 days.

If we were able to do this in large numbers polticians and the media would take notice. They would HAVE to. It tells them we're pissed; we can organize and we're ending career politics.

I've started several threads to this effect and promoite the idea whenever I can. This is important people. It's about the only thing we CAN do that will have a major and lasting impact. Vote out ALL incumbents at EVERY level of government --- from your local level all the way to DC. Don't minimize this idea The impact would be enormous. It would put Washington on its ear. THEY don't think we are able to organize, to work together --- the system is designed to prevent this from happening by pitting us one against the other. We can throw a huge wrench in the machine. And most importantly, it would be impossible to ignore.

The beauty of the idea is that it doesn't matter whether you lean Reb/Dem, liberal/conservative, left/right... just vote for anyone OTHER THAN the incumbent.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Well it wil be nice to get rid of all incumbents that is something that when you stand in front of your state ballots is hard to do.

As I stood this week doing my early voting in front of my voting machine I realized that voting in is nothing than a big scam.

Because my state is nothing more than a permanent status Republican state many of the candidates goes without challenging or opposition.

And if is any opposition it will be only in the two elite parties in this nation.

See how difficult will be to clean Washington without eliminating and reconstruction the entire system of government we have?

We in this nation has been forced to chose from only to elite parties and both of them has gotten so corrupted that you can not differentiate one dirty politician from the other.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Do not be discouraged. Vote how you originally intended to vote despite thinking it's a scam. You are one person and your vote counts. Imagine the wakeup call these Congressmen and women will receive when they read the results of the final tallies - the collective boiling over of the American people speaking loud and clear.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
To the OP:
FOR ONCE WE CAN AGREE!!!!

This is one subject near and dear to me.....
Impose a term limit as well. We need to have a legislative branch that is representative of the people as well as serving them. I would also set pretty low caps on all lobbyist contributions. Congress is EXACTLY the place that we need to start running all these OLD BUREAUCRATS straight outta' town!

Two term limit. No more lifetime fatcats.

No accepting money for "consideration of corporate wishes".

They should be forced to show up, or their seat should be considered vacant.

S&F.....

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I think it goes a lot deeper.
What is needed are completely non-partisan players. It should also be a rule that anyone taking public office should also divest themselves of any and all investments, which should be strictly audited and checked. At least that will stop the greedy buggers voting on measures that will increase the value of their investments.
Holding public office should be a privilege, not a gravy train. I'm sure if you took away all the perks, the number of "career politicians" would drop.

Outlaw lobbying altogether. As soon as any public official accepts one penny from lobbyists or special interest groups they should be immediately banned from office for life. This whole scheme of "campaign donations", free trips, use of corporate jets and other facilities is simply bribery and corruption - it has to stop.

This is the only way any change will happen - sack them all and start over with a new rulebook and strictly enforced ethics laws for anyone wanting to hold public office.

Shame the only way it'll ever happen is by revolution. Doesn't even need a shot fired by the people, just say no to everything they want from you.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
Doesn't even need a shot fired by the people, just say no to everything they want from you.

There again, the tar and feathers option sounds like a whole lot more fun and adds satisfaction.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Yes I totally agree clean house put non partisan people in get rid of all the lobbyist,pretty much everyone in congress is owned by some special interest group,when they took office took oath to work for the American people

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Alxandro,

I've been saying this to all of my friends and co-workers who will listen. I would suggest that we do this on the local as well as national level. S&F, Gram.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
There's some good people in there that don't need to be voted out unless someone runs against them that is better. Does anyone have knowledge of good alternatives to every current incumbent? Some of the people running are worse than what is there.

I vote each candidate on their merits. Some are independents, libertarians, green and democrats so far. I will not ever vote republican becuase they have proven to have no merit.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Gramafaloon

Nothing sweeter that a grass roots effort, whether it's a top-bottom or bottom-up approach that's used.

Hell, why not use this thread to post the names of all incumbents that should be given the Tony Lama special, (that's Texan for "the boot")

Originally posted by Britguy
Doesn't even need a shot fired by the people, just say no to everything they want from you.

I've got a feeling the click can be mightier than the shot.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join