It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just look up!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
i suggest looking down,within the earth for thats where all those little malevolent blights are hiding.

whyd yu think the ufos are always in space or in the sky,cos thats where they want us to look!,

get down thats where the truth is buried!

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks for the info Phage! And i've downloaded the stellarium,very cool!

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by damdevildog

i am also downloading! i like learning more.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

Thanks C.H.U.D.!

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by seeker11

It's realy cool and free so you can't beat it! You can zoom in on all the stars, nebulas, and planets etc...

It's a great place to go to get an idea what your looking at in the night sky, especially for beginners like myself.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by thedigirati

Now would be a good time to point out:

Stellarium

A free, offline astronomical program. I highly recommend it.

wow. i just downloaded it that's awesome! thanks

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I cant look up and see anything nice when I live in the overall largest port of the world, Rotterdam

Night vision is terrible here....you can see the moon, Orion and the Ursa Major and Cassiopeia constellations but thats all :S

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I'm not that familar with where what star is but I understand the basics.

I have always found it hard to believe that rational people could mistake common astronomical occurances with UFO's (U stands for unidentified not ET space craft.)

I have seen a few things that make me wonder but usualy dismiss them quickly after thinking about it.

One of the most common is cigar shaped UFO's that appear when the sun is low. If they come closer I can make out the wings just a plane but the wings don't reflect the sun at certain times of day.

or Venus which has consistant characteristics. I can understand an untrained person mistaking this for a UFO but not trained people like pilots who have often alledgedly chased Venus, planets, weather baloons etc.

If there isn't a mystery about unexplained flying objects then there is a mystery about halucinating pilots.

Satelites have also been used to explain away UFO's any one ever seen a satelite?

I'm familar with the characteristic of a satelite but can't understand how it could be confused with a UFO even if it can be seen. It would fly across the sky in an arc or portion of a orbit in just a few minutes. If I could see it I would probably assume it was a plane however I doubt if I would be able to see it at all.

Normal events wouldn't explain things like Phoenix lights, Lubbock lights, Belguem wave, Kecksburg, Rendelsham forest or many others.

However we need rational skeptics to sort out the foolish people who jump to conclusions to quickly so I give this thread a

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I love the knight sky, many times a year i travel thousands of miles north to see everything along with the Aurora Borialis

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Nice thread phage, I couldnt agree more with your comments.

I have used Stellarium of late and found it useful but since nobody has mentioned it yet, I thought that I would mention the usefulness of owning a star chart. You should still be able to get one from any good ship chandlers or yachting chandlers. Try and get one that is at least A2 size (A1 is better).
Why a star chart?
You can see all the stars together at a glance and it is much easier to see how they relate to each other by their position on the celestial sphere.
you will learn how to use "transits" to find stars. You can take it out into the field with you (just make sure you use a red filter on your flashlight) it will help you see whats on the chart and also maintain your night vision.

PEACE,
RK

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Rigel Kent

I agree about using full star charts to get a deeper understanding of the layout of the sky. But they can be a bit overwhelming at first. Astronomy programs make it easy to allow for location, season, and time of day. Another eye opener is to run the software in "timelapse" mode and watch the stars move across the sky.

Don't get the impression I prefer one over the other, both have their uses and as long as it gets people curious and looking up and learning what's up there...it's good.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I agree wholeheartedly. For me, because I live in the UK, it a pleasure if not a rare treat to see a clear sky at night. So when I see a satellite I get excited because I think it's a UFO but feel ignorant because I don't know what it really is. Or what its up to.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I doubt you know me whatsoever. (especially Phage, whom this is mainly directed at.)

The only way you could know me, is by listening to my worthless posts, many of which are mean spirited and generally abusive.

I have learned my lesson. I got a posting ban for discussing drugs in a new thread of my own creation. I learned, through reading, after my posting ban, that discussing illegal drugs was against the rules. I learned that I am only one step away from an entire site ban. Meaning I cannot even read what is posted here, if I mess up once more.

I learned many rules, and know that what I have done here in the past speaks poorly to my overall credibility.

Please, disregard this, and just try from man to man, or better yet, human being to human being, to accept and understand what I am saying, instead of just doubting it and tryiong to debunk it.

I saw something that shook me to the core. that makes me afraid to sleep.

I have seen UFO's before, once I saw something that could NEVER be operated by human beings due to the immense change in direction coupled with the incredible speed of the object's trajectory.

What I mean is, I have seen UFO's before. In fact, I have seen both UFO's which I believe are USA government created, some which I feel are Russian, some Chinese, and some which I KNOW; in my heart......,

are NOT of this world.

Last night I saw something.

In fact, the day before yesterday, I saw two UFO's, swirling and twirling in the air. And doing manuovers which our best pilots wouldn't dream of.

Can you imagine, that since I was so convinced about alien life and UFO's already, I arrogantly didn't take too much notice? I had seen them before, and come to terms with them (or so I thought.)

I have been up all night, afraid to sleep, lest I am abducted. I mean it. It sounds really pathetic and weak, now that day has arrived, but last night I trembled like a mouse who has caught wind of a nearby cat: sheer, unadulterated horror. Terror. Fear. Anger.

Now that it is daylight I feel significantly safer, though the atmosphere is just as thick day or night and UFO's can penetrate it at will. The day is just as scary as the night. I hate reality so much sometimes.

When I saw it, it was small, just a bright spot behind clouds. It was the size of the moon. It lit up somewhat slowly, and at first I thought it was a HUGE meteor or nuclear bomb.

Once, as a kid, I nearly had a heart attack when I saw a huge missile test go off in San Diego, CA, my hometown. it scared all us kids, jumping on our friend's trampoline. I ran home and told my mother, the world was ending. I felt intense despair. But the world never ended, the scar healed, and all seemed to be back to "normal" before I discovered Truth Seeking as a way of life.

It looked like a long, jagged yellow scar across the very atmosphere itself. It scared me so badly. I thought the world was ending.

Well tonight that same fear enveloped me.

I felt crushed and my knees knocked and my legs trembled and threatened to give out and drop me to the ground. My heart felt like it was fluttering, unsure of how often I should try and breathe. I could barely catch a breath. I felt like I would suffocate.

My feet felt empty, light, and useless, and I stumbled around desperately.

I thought the world was ending. A huge meteor or a nuke was headed our way.

I went inside and checked the time, though I barely recall doing it and certainly don't remember the time exactly. I never planned what to do in this sort of sudden death situation; in practice it turned out that I didn't even knock on my neighbor's door. I just, in shock, watched as the ghast filled the sky with it's horrible body. I pray it was an object and not a being. I fear it was God himself.

I went back outside, then attempted to follow the object down a sidewalk. But it was the size of the moon, and no matter how far I walked, it remained far far away from me. I attempted to view it more clearly in the darkness.

But it seemed to be very very distant, far on the horizon, and I could not seem to get any closer to it no matter how far I walked.

It was bright white on the crescent part, and I walked back, feeling like it surely was the moon. But it wasn't the moon. As I watched it quickly fell lower and lower in the sky. Now I could not see the bottom of the crescent moon.

I stood up in the bed of my truck, and tried to peer over the tree tops, but the light continued to descend.

A UFO suddenly seemed to appear from very close nearby, just beyond the trees, and flash for only 1 literal second, about 2 rows of 6 or 7 lights, blue lights, which only flashed the one time and immediately went black again.

I think it was just to show that that being was nearby, or perhaps they approved of what they heard.

What I saw attempted to mimic the sun, the crescent shape, but as it suddenly began a descent, it changed colors from bright white to bright, bold orange, and after it was this way, it developed black cheetah like spots, then disappeared entirely, in the span of perhaps 2 minutes total.

The encounter itself took about 20-25 minutes. Action happened at the very end mainly.

It was horrible, gigantic and frightening.

I hope never to see it again.

If anybody can help me in any way with this, please, by all means.

[edit on 26-7-2009 by BaronVonGodzilla]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Good post, Phage. How can we tell if something is a "new" phenomenon if we don't have a sense of what is normal? doesn't mean that we have to take the wonder out of it and quantify every single thing, but it does suggest that if we think we're seeing something we think is different that we should first research and look for an explanation before attaching significant meaning to the object.

For example, there are several youtubes identified as "UFO" whose objects depicted seem completely consistent with human-made satellites.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I started with sirius, before i looked it up in a program i thought it was a pulsar because of the shifting colors.. then i find its a dual star system ! no wonder its shifting colors lol

and of course orion's belt.. i'm still waiting to see another star break formation hehe

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Try sitting on a clear and cold winter night in a place where no city lights reach and look up. the sight is amazing to say the least. And yes there is alot of movement up there. The only time i saw something that was out of place was when a supposed satellite took a 90 degree turn and made a run for the horizon.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I love to look at orion ,its formation has always been magical to me .Its easy to see why so many cultures were captivated by it .

[edit on 27-7-2009 by essanance]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by essanance
I would like to say and i am being respectable to all sides here .I grew up on the LAke of The Ozarls ,my family and several friends all had houses right on the lake .There were 100s of nights we would sit and look at the sky ,I eventually got a telescope and became familiar with all of the bright objects in the sky at night.However there were several times myself and others would witness lights and objects that were not heavenly bodies .My house set facing the northwest .almost directly southeast from Whiteman Airforce Base , home to the stealth bombers and an A-10 group .I have scene at least 3 times in my life lights in the sky that were not planes our stars ,truthfully U F O s to me and others around me .I have watched as in formation i would see actual fighter planes chase these craft .Once even flying over my house ,trust me when they flew over head as they often would just training you can tell because everything shakes from there engines .Being at the lake where we are ,right off the 47 MM near Climax Springs we have beautifull skies at night due to very little light around us,it truthfully is the most wonderfull thing to lay on the dock at night and watch the skies .I have scene triangular light patterns in the sky several times and once at a 4th of july event over 10 members of my family turned to see ,what we would have guessed to be about a house size triangular pattern just hovering behind us .As it seemed to relize we had noticed it ,it turned and thats when i relized the lights were not fixed but could moved i chased the object ,by foot along the seawall headed SW until the object dramatically increased speed and was instantly out of my sight .My point being here ,I have grown up a sky watcher and i have scene many things in the sky .Lights thats change color and almost seem to know there being watched ,almost performing for us .Are the UFOs aliens ,beings from other worlds .I do not know but i do know after a life of looking at the sky ,that they are not stars our planets .Indeed look up and do so with an open mind ,humanity must always keep an open mind ,I dont want to go back to the days of living on a flat world ,because it is easier to deny the truth then except it .

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Great thread Phage, I am guilty of having made many many mistakes with anonymous lights in the sky. I have been an avid stargazer for as long as I can remember, I actually find great comfort from certain constellations and even having looked at them all my life find my level of awareness changes often and so stars and patterns once unobserved pop out on some nights. Easy to make mistakes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join