It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palin Wants To Expand The Power Of VP

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Palin Wants To Expand The Power Of VP

www.lastreporter.com

Aside from both candidates dodging the questions and spitting out the same, old, tired, talking points, Palin made news by saying she wants to expand the power for the vice presidency under the constitution. This played right into Biden’s hands, who went on to say that the current Vice President Dick Cheney has tried to increase the power of the office beyond the intent on the constitution — and that this was dangerous.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Those weren't her exact words really, but close!

She said that she agreed with Cheney that there's "a lot of flexibilities there"!

Almost sounds like she wants to and is ready to run the the VP's office the same way as Cheney!

I doubt she would be able to pull off what Cheney did as VP, but does this sound like change?

www.lastreporter.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10/3/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Interesting that Palin already has seen the corrupting potential of been a VP and can not wait to get her hands on the pot and start making her own rules.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Here's a link and the quote from the debate!

Transcript: The Vice-Presidential Debate

IFILL: Governor, you mentioned a moment ago the constitution might give the vice president more power than it has in the past. Do you believe as Vice President Cheney does, that the Executive Branch does not hold complete sway over the office of the vice presidency, that it it is also a member of the Legislative Branch?

PALIN: Well, our founding fathers were very wise there in allowing through the Constitution much flexibility there in the office of the vice president. And we will do what is best for the American people in tapping into that position and ushering in an agenda that is supportive and cooperative with the president's agenda in that position. Yeah, so I do agree with him that we have a lot of flexibility in there, and we'll do what we have to do to administer very appropriately the plans that are needed for this nation. And it is my executive experience that is partly to be attributed to my pick as V.P. with McCain, not only as a governor, but earlier on as a mayor, as an oil and gas regulator, as a business owner. It is those years of experience on an executive level that will be put to good use in the White House also.

And here's a little quote from just a little earlier in the debate from Palin!

I'm thankful the Constitution would allow a bit more authority given to the vice president if that vice president so chose to exert it in working with the Senate and making sure that we are supportive of the president's policies ...

She didn't answer at all on which branch SHE thought it was in, but she did agree with Cheney she said!

I fail to see where the "founding fathers" left a lot of "flexibility" in the Constitution in regards to the office of the vice president!

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
The gas and oil industry probably already has bought her hart and soul and she is so overwhelmed with the power that can not think straight.

If they are going to do what congress has done to America with the bail out bill we can tell pretty much that America has not vote on anything this corrupted people are to do once in power.

She will become a very wealthy B****** if she becomes VP.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I forgot to even take into consedieration her ties to big oil!

That's the last thing we need, another VP with close ties to the oil companies again!

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Every last one of these CFR / Bilderberger / M.I.C.-Serving puppets makes me absolutely CRINGE to listen to...We are are in for 4 MORE YEARS of the SAME OLD, SAME OLD, no matter which one of these Elitist-selected administrations takes power. Nauseating and disheartening to no end...

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I'm going to say what I said in another thread about the debates, and on other forums:

When asked what the Vice President would do, Palin answered and said that she would use the powers that the constitution would give her to control congress and ensure that her and McCain's policies would be enabled.

And if that doesn't scare you, you haven't been paying attention.

One of the biggest outrages of the last eight years has been the Executive power grab that's been going on. A part of that is Dick Cheney's push to enpower the VP's position as well, going so far as to claim that really, the VP is more a part of congress than not, and because so, that gives him special powers.

And clearly Palin and McCain subscribe to this outrageous notion, turning away from the constitution in the hopes to make the president and vice president more powerful than they ought to legally be.

What we have is a travesty against the constitution; ignoring and denying the basic principles of the government, trying to destroy the very necessary institution of checks and balances.

We don't need another administration that thinks that the president and vice president are 'exempt' from oversight and 'outside' of the law.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

There *is* much flexibility in the duties of the VP. There are two classes of duties: formal and informal.

Formal duties include serving as President of the Senate and presiding over and certifying the electoral college vote. That of course is in addition to succeeding the presidency if necessary.

But even the formal duties allow for flexibility. Some duties have been included/excluded by convention only. And in this case, convention means "an accepted way of doing things". But it is important to realize that there is no Constitutional prohibition on these "conventional" duties".

Informal duties are much much more flexible and are at the discrimination of the current administration. For example, the President could appoint the VP to be "The Official Chocolate Chip Cookie Taster", and that would be perfectly legal.

Get the point?

There is discussion of this topic in the current VP Debate thread.

So, saying that Palin wants to expand the duties of the office of VP is nothing alarming. It just makes for sensational headlines.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
From Article 1, Section 3 of the US Constitution:

The Vice President of the United States shall be President of the Senate, but shall have no Vote, unless they be equally divided.

The Senate shall choose their other Officers, and also a President pro tempore, in the absence of the Vice President, or when he shall exercise the Office of President of the United States.

www.usconstitution.net...

I am not sure what Sarah Palin was talking about here. I suspect she was talking about expanding the powers given to her by the US President (McCain) who could certainly assign her special powers and tasks, and then just "rubber stamp" whatever she does.

However, strangely, she specifically mentioned the "expanded role" of the VP with regards to the Senate. She could be an influencer, but US Senators are WAY TOO EGOTISTICAL to let any VP have any significant power over them. They could just ignore everything she said or tried to do.

I don't think this is a big deal. I think Sarah Palin wanted to say she is eager to help, and get things moving as she can.

#

As an aside, I was impressed that Biden correctly called out Article 1 of the constitution, and not Article 2 (which defines the executive branch) -- I thought for sure he was wrong. But, in fact, the VP acting as President of the Senate is defined in Article 1, as he said. Biden is pretty smart!

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

I bet you change your tune when Biden *IS* the VP!!!!

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Grafilthy

Why would I change my tune? Facts are facts. I'm way past interpreting things to suit one political party or the other. Strict Constitutional interpretation is what I believe in. I'm a registered Independent.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
As an aside, I was impressed that Biden correctly called out Article 1 of the constitution, and not Article 2 (which defines the executive branch) -- I thought for sure he was wrong. But, in fact, the VP acting as President of the Senate is defined in Article 1, as he said. Biden is pretty smart!

That's why you will never get in law school.

Article I of the Constitution does not, in fact, define the role of the Vice President of the United States. It defines the role of the legislative branch, otherwise known as the branch in which Joe Biden has served for the last 36 years.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mabus325

Article I of the Constitution does not, in fact, define the role of the Vice President of the United States. It defines the role of the legislative branch, otherwise known as the branch in which Joe Biden has served for the last 36 years.

And how did you get Dick Cheney's dictionary out of his "man-sized" safe???
I would like to know what is really going on at area 51 if you can look next time you are in there....

Here we go again......

Article 1 defines the role of the VP IN THE LEGISLATIVE BRANCH.

It is nothing more than a tie breaker vote SHOULD THE NECESSITY OF ONE ARISE. There is nothing in Article 1 to be "loosely" defined. He get's no additional powers.

Are you guy's not the one's who want "less gub-ment"???? Why try to complicate a already confusing system with different definitions of basic wording?

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by mabus325
That's why you will never get in law school.
Article I of the Constitution does not, in fact, define the role of the Vice President of the United States.

Yepper -- that is why I was so surprised. (Read my post!) Biden called it right. Article I of the US constitution defines the role of the VP with regard to the Senate PRIOR to Article II. So I guess Biden is smarter than you and me.

Go figure.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   

And Article 2 says, the vice president is 'together' with the president, in the Executive Branch with the POTUS!

Article. II. - The Executive Branch

The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. He shall hold his Office during the Term of four Years, and,together with the Vice-President chosen for the same Term, be elected, as follows:

But, she agreed with Cheney she said!

So she believes the Vice Presidents office isn't part of the Executive Branch?

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Grafilthy

Originally posted by Grafilthy

And how did you get Dick Cheney's dictionary out of his "man-sized" safe???
I would like to know what is really going on at area 51 if you can look next time you are in there....

Here we go again......

Article 1 defines the role of the VP IN THE LEGISLATIVE BRANCH.

It is nothing more than a tie breaker vote SHOULD THE NECESSITY OF ONE ARISE. There is nothing in Article 1 to be "loosely" defined. He get's no additional powers.

Are you guy's not the one's who want "less gub-ment"???? Why try to complicate a already confusing system with different definitions of basic wording?

Are you denying that the VP does not have informal duties specified by the current President?

Are you saying that as President of the Senate, he/she is prohibited from attending any Senatorial sessions? Or participating in a debate? Or influencing a vote?

You need to do more research before you offer your opinion as fact.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I dont know but Palin scares the heck out of me, much more than Cheney ever did. She has the charms (pretty, mother, sympathic face) to sway people and decisions on her side.

I really hope nothing terrible happens to McCain

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I think this is a much more interesting thread than the "Obama eats breakfast with terrorist" threads. I wonder why there is not as much interest?? Probably not incendiary enough, non?

Our civil liberties can NOT afford another 4 years of Cheneyistic tactics. Neither can our Constitution.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grafilthy
I bet you change your tune when Biden *IS* the VP!!!!

Nice political baiting. I'd be surprised to find out that you are older than twelve.

Originally posted by marg6043
The gas and oil industry probably already has bought her hart and soul and she is so overwhelmed with the power that can not think straight.

This has nothing to do with the topic. Thanks for political baiting!

If they are going to do what congress has done to America with the bail out bill we can tell pretty much that America has not vote on anything this corrupted people are to do once in power.

Once again, nothing to do with this thread, and more childish political baiting.

She will become a very wealthy B****** if she becomes VP.

More baiting.

Wow, thanks for contributing nothing to ATS today!

Now, moving on from silly trolls who want to turn this into a mud slinging contest, there really is a lot of flexibility in the office of the Vice President. As the executive has grown, many duties have been given to the VP so that the President

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join