It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain says Bush Should Veto Bailout

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
You know, one thing is contradicting yourself say months after having said a statement, and its another thing to contradict yourself within 1 day

I think we are watching part timers at work here.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
What a hypocritical, self-serving, deal from both ends of the deck maneuver. I really wish at this moment we could use rated R words on here cause I am feeling them to my core and I am old enough to use them out loud and then some!

You can't vote for this unconstitutional piece of senate-originated garbage one day and then say oooops people are mad so I'll just have it both ways two days later and pretend now that I don't support it. What a crock.

And just so the left doesn't feel left out - Obama's campaign called me tonight for another contribution (surprising after my comments on the website during the Senate debate on this) and I told them that since Obama has demonstrated that he is not change but a new step in the same old song and dance that I wouldn't be giving him any more money and in fact he had lost my vote too.

P.S. this newest move doesn't earn McCain a vote either. ENOUGH (yes I am yelling).

(wipes up tea I just spit all over my computer when I read this thread)

on edit: my computer survived - the economy did not.

[edit on 3-10-2008 by DancedWithWolves]

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Just made me laugh about bush just saying that the bailout will take time to hit our economy. He also said that about your $600 checks they sent out.

ahhhhh,

that's the trickle down effect....

it's more like vertigo rain - it vaporizes in thin air before it hits the ground

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves
I told them that since Obama has demonstrated that he is not change but a new step in the same old song and dance that I wouldn't be giving him any more money and in fact he had lost my vote too.

I TOTALLY understand this, as I have the same thoughts. I even wrote him a letter to that effect. I have stopped donations, changed my mind about volunteering and I'm not absolutely certain that I will vote.

HOWEVER,

...as I see it, our only hope now is that Obama is a man of his word and does make the promised changes to the action once he becomes president. He has promised that if this bill passed, he would change the ugly specifics of it. I know McCain won't. He's a schizoid. But Obama might... I'll have to wait and see how I feel when the time comes.

Edited to add:

Source

Obama stressed his promise to review the plan if he becomes president and pledged that taxpayers would never again have to put their money on the line to pay for the irresponsibility of Wall Street executives.

Obama said his chief priority if elected would be protecting tax dollars, and that he would demand a full review of the $700 billion rescue plan to make sure that it is working for taxpayers.

“If you – the American taxpayer – are not getting your money back, then we will change how this program is being managed. If need be, we will send new legislation to Congress to make sure that taxpayers are protected in line with the principles that I have put forward...

[edit on 4-10-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

...as I see it, our only hope now is that Obama is a man of his word and does make the promised changes to the action once he becomes president. He has promised that if this bill passed, he would change the ugly specifics of it.

As I see it, our only hope is to vote third party in great enough number that even if the third party candidate does not win, the fear of the people is well placed in the hearts of politicians who are so certain of our apathy that they can afford to promise anything, and then act against our will when the time comes.

The fact of the matter is, neither candidate, not Obama nor McCain, ever for one second considered not voting for this bailout. Any apparent reluctance to do so, or promises that "this will never happen again" are pure political posturing. If the people had not rebelled, they would have passed it with the horrible language that allowed no oversight at all.

Obama doesnt care any more for us than McCain does. He just uses lubricant when he violates us.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Sorry but I disagree... If anything the third parties are worse off than the larger two parties that a currently in the lead. I think the green party and Nader are jokes in my opinion, NOT what this nation needs. I thin Baldwin is abit of a nutter, he was part of the southern league of states? i think? He has connections to many negative individuals and I can assure you that if he was in the spotlight as much as McCain or Obama, he would have been drilled down long time ago.

I dont like Bob Barr because I think its policies like his and Ron Paul that got this nation into this mess, the excuse coming from them stating that "more freedom of the market" is necessary to solve the situation is a JOKE in my opinion, and non of them seem to come up with real alternatives to fix up the economy.

Ill stick to Obama thanks. The third party candidates are jokes in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   

HOWEVER,

...as I see it, our only hope now is that Obama is a man of his word and does make the promised changes to the action once he becomes president. He has promised that if this bill passed, he would change the ugly specifics of it. I know McCain won't. He's a schizoid. But Obama might... I'll have to wait and see how I feel when the time comes.
[edit on 4-10-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

It is a bitter pill is it not....I would imagine many are in this boat with us right now who had such high hopes...

Thankfully, I don't believe any of them are our only hope. Presidentially, maybe - Hope, never. I can't begin to tell you the depths of my disappointment in Obama's lack of action. I had hoped he would be a President who talks WITH people not TO people in a time of perceived crisis. In that he failed. No amount of revisiting later can change his "how" in this time. He has a microphone pointed willingly at him any moment of the day or night right now. He could have, should have, talked WITH the people. Silence can be as damning as words. There was time to talk. I disagree with our solution to this. A lot of us disagreed with this solution to the crisis they continued to spin "proof" of.

My expectations with McCain were lower because my personal views are vastly divergent from his and I believe he was bought and paid for long ago. This move now asking the President to veto this legislation is only laying groundwork for his perpetual footnote to reference back to someday with this premonition of a quote, "I did ask the President to veto this legislation, because I, like you, believed we needed to find a better solution." He has created misconception and he knows it and his advisors know it. They should feel ashamed of themselves right now. The ethics of their means and their end was not and is not honorable in this case.

Luckily for us, we are staying engaged and WE, all of us, are our hope.

Elected officials do not define America and the control we have ceded to them for so long is slipping away. That light at the end of all of their tunnels - Is indeed a freight train coming straight at them. They have allowed their power and their greed to compromise the reasons for an America.

We truly do have to stay personally engaged. We are our only hope, and there are a lot of us watching, learning, sifting, understanding just what it is they do and don't do. Knowledge, each piece you begin to fathom, can hurt - but to not learn, to not seek, is the more damaging. So WE are our only hope.

I am sorry for the hurt each and every one of us who dares to believe in great leaders doing great things continues to endure. Disappointment can be raw. We must continue to be more than a united states. We must become a united people again and believe that in creating a land where the brilliance of each can be realized, we will create a brilliance of the whole.

[edit on 5-10-2008 by DancedWithWolves]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
An election move...

If the bill turns out to work well he can say he voted for it,

If it turn out bad he can say he has video proof he thought it should be veto-d

Purely a standard political move to save face no matter what the outcome.

Simple politics.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   

I had hoped he would be a President who talks WITH people not TO people in a time of perceived crisis.

I just want to remind you that he isn't President yet.
He can't take the roll of president until he is voted in. He doesn't have the power to take the action he needs to... yet. If he used his public appearances to talk WITH the people (and I think I know what you mean) he would be criticized for being presumptuous, arrogant and jumping the gun. He's got a fine line to walk for the next month.

Darthorious, I agree with you 100%. McCain is playing on both sides of the fence so he can use whatever is advantageous to him later on.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Didn't he suspend his campaign to get this passed, then blamed Obama when it didn't even though it was house republicans who voted no? Now he wants it vetoed? Wow, does he even know what year or his name is?

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32

yep, biiiig idiot with that harvard law degree.

Sadly if you're a member of certain minority groups in this country, universities will basically hand out degrees, because they want to show people that their university is more "diverse".

One of my local universities actually started a program where they are bringing transfer students in from Africa and they have a special class program where the african students are guaranteed to get a degree no matter what grades they get or how well they do. There's been quite an outrage locally here about it. I'll try to dig up a news article.

-LS

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by LogicalSolution
Sadly if you're a member of certain minority groups in this country, universities will basically hand out degrees, because they want to show people that their university is more "diverse".

How very telling that you would insinuate that Obama had his degree handed to him because he's black... :shk: Talk about sad.

He was the first black President of the Harvard Law Review, a magna cum laude graduate, a civil rights lawyer and Professor of Constitutional Law. You don't get that "handed" to you...

I'd like to ask that the thread remain on topic.
Thanks.

[edit on 5-10-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   

You don't get that "handed" to you...

Not if you're a white male.

-LS

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   

I had hoped he would be a President who talks WITH people not TO people in a time of perceived crisis.

I just want to remind you that he isn't President yet.
He can't take the roll of president until he is voted in. He doesn't have the power to take the action he needs to... yet.

I respectfully disagree. Obama is interviewing for the job then if we must splice hairs so how he handles any issue is an issue. We currently live in the times of - by most people's standards - the most secretive administration this country has ever experienced. Openness and your willingness to talk with the people is paramount.

He had the power to vote and to listen to we the people and to have discourse with those who were informed enough to have been able to follow a conversation. He responded with sound bites and ignored the will of the people. I expected more from this man of change. He himself set the bar high when he refused to take money from government contractors who are the baseline of nearly all political campaign fundraising. Their influence does not go away when you take office and indeed their revolving contractor bids consume an inordinate amount of government time. When most engaged Americans do not agree with a course you are supporting you owe it to them to explain yourself and treat the electorate with the dignity and respect its many esteemed members deserve. We underrate We The People way to often. The people that are listening deserve to hear.

I support much of what Senator Obama stands for but I would be lying if I did not say that how a candidate or elected official communicates mission is also how he will lead. I wish I could take the Bailout bill as less of a transgression but this vote and action were not some trivial item in the role of government. In fact, I might call it down right dire.

Just offering the view from the other side of the fence on this one. He has a lot of mending to do and I think he fumbled this one bad and it was a big one....

Peace.

[edit on 5-10-2008 by DancedWithWolves]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join