It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. threatens to steal Iraq oil money

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   

U.S. threatens to steal Iraq oil money

english.aljazeera.com

Washington has threatened to seize Iraqi assets and oil money if Baghdad rejects a controversial US-proposed security pact, Iraq says.

Upon arrival in Iraq from Washington, President Jalal Talabani told reporters that he is concerned over Washington threats.

"Washington threatened to use any means to seize Iraqi assets if we do not support the security pact," Marsadiraq quoted Talabani as saying.

Washington currently seeks to sign a Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) with Baghdad to give legal basis to its military and political presence in oil-rich Iraq after a UN mandate defining its status expires on December 31.

While there have been indications that the proposed pact may conditionally require US troops stationed in Iraq to leave the country by the end of 2011, it does not necessitate a withdrawal unless Baghdad can fully restore stability in the country.

The deal has been severely criticized by prominent Iraqi political and religious figures, who say it would undermine the country's national sovereignty.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
In a new unheard-of racketeering scheme, the criminal Bush regime is threatening to steal the Iraqi people's oil revenues if popular opposition to the murderous occupation persists. How can such dangerous criminals blackmail other countries so brazenly while facing no opposition at home ? Are the american people devoid of values and morals or have the warmongers bought up every major news outlet ?

english.aljazeera.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Where else are they going to get 700 billion

[edit on 3-10-2008 by all2human]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
IMHO, it isn't theft. It's a long overdue bill the standing Iraq government owes this country. They were supposed to be footing their own bill by now, yet are still suckling at the teat of the US tax payer. That's wrong.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I say screw them! They can start paying us back and buying their own equipment!

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
yeah that's right, go bully the younger kid for lunch money...

As if it wasn't bad enough over there already...

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I agree, since they cant get it from the taxpayers on that bailout, they gotta steal it from someone...why not the Iraqi people instead.

Good ol Wushy Bushy ethics. Pfft!!!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
IMHO, it isn't theft. It's a long overdue bill the standing Iraq government owes this country. They were supposed to be footing their own bill by now, yet are still suckling at the teat of the US tax payer. That's wrong.

They don't owe us anything at all. We invaded THEIR country based on lies. We owe them big, and all they want is for us to leave. If it were China or Russia in your back yard how would you feel if they added insult to literal injury by billing you for hardships the invaders sustained?

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Ditto. We had no buisness going over there at all. Now we just have more enemies that did not exsist before the war....er invasion.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I saw this coming a mile away. The problem with the US being at war this time is that they are not the Lenders but the lendee's.

The only way for the US to be profitable in this war is some good old fashioned plundering. Medieval style.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
It's blackmail, pure and simple. They have realised that in order to remain in Iraq they must get the approval of the Iraqi's, who have resoundingly said no. So in order to stay and continue to steal oil, the US has blackmailed the Iraqi's by threatening to take their oil money.

Disgusting, disgraceful and shameful. Although as one of Bush's final acts I guess I should not be so surprised.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I thought they were supposed to bive us break on oil, once we had their wells back up and running. They have an 80 billion dollar surplus. Let them help with the wall street bail out.
But no. That's not our way. We help someone, free them from a dictator who uses chemical weapons against his own people, and then we foot the bill. What's wrong with this picture?

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

Got news for you....the US has been footing the bill in many places around the world for decades...Iraq is not the first nor will it be the last as long as thieves are elected into office.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

The Iraqis themselves have said that, while initially they were excited at the prospect of freedom from Saddam, the problems that the US and other forces have created far outweigh the life they lived under Saddam.

They want America out of their country and I do not blame them. Saddam is dead. There should be no more reason to stay. If they wish to rebuild their own country, let them it is their prerogative.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Guess no one considers sources anymore.... english.aljazeera.com

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

LOL I had not noticed the source.

I guess this could just be more propaganda and fear-mongering but something about the way the article is written, and its contents, suggests to me an element of truth...

In late August, thousands of Iraqis took to the streets to denounce the agreement.

I would think it would be relatively hard to hide something like that happening. I shall have a looksie and see if I can dig up anything else related to this topic.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Oh, of course Al Jazeera would call it stealing.... sheesh...

Unlike the rest of the news media who have consistently been mum in regard to Iraqi oil wealth and contracts...

Also, some maybe interested in one of my older threads from a year ago:
Alan Greenspan claims Iraq war was really for oil

I wonder how much of the current financial meltdown is because the Iraqi Oil Money didn't start flowing soon enough. That those who perpetrated the war thought that we would be treated as liberators, and we would not be spending millions a day over there...

Blood for Oil....
DocMoreau

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Interesting that everyone seems to think that Iraq made US go broke, it's ok to go and take their money.

What if one day we can't pay China back? Then I suppose by going with the intentions of going in Iraq and taking their assets, I guess it would be ok for China to do the same.

Nice way to set a precedent.

The bad guys here is the administration.

When they took office, they took all the public money and invested it in Privitized companies, and now that they are leaving, they are taking privatized debt and shifting it to the public to pay for it.

Although we go into Iraq, bomb the hell out of them for no reason. No WMD, now it's ok to let the United States Rob them to pay for the United States mistake.

Some of the greatest Robbery our a life time and no one seems to have a clue.

I guess the truth isn't easy at all, we truly are a country that does not want to take accountability for our actions. I say we only tax the people that voted for Bush Twice since they seemed to think he had all the right ideas.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
We should. In fact we should steal everything from Iraq and sell it to the highest bidder, and use the money to solve our financial crisis here at home.

That might sound wrong, or evil, but nations have been doing it since the dawn of man-kind. One of the best aspects of war, is the plunder you steal from your enemy.

I don't know why America has to insist it's better than everyone else. Seriously, humans have pillaging other nations for thousands of years, let's pillage Iraq and use the plunder to solve our financial crisis. We can start by demolishing buildings in Iraq such as hospitals, schools, firehouses, apartments, etc and selling all the copper piping to the highest bidder in Russia or something.

We could probably generate a couple hundred billion dollars stealing things from Iraq. Save the US Taxpayers their money, and fix the US Economy at the same time.

To the victor goes the spoils.

-LS

[edit on 4-10-2008 by LogicalSolution]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join