It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Live Covergae of Bailout Debate on sky News

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I think they are just agreeing to the rule for an hour and a half debate prior to the actual vote.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by GoalPoster
oh my GOD . . . a vote to vote on the vote to vote what the vote is about, which has to be phrased in the form of a question unless altered by a vote.

they are politicians after all, they can't scratch thier noses without taking a vote first

[edit on 10/3/0808 by Trayen11]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Trayen11

What is canada's perspective on all of this? What do you expect to happen to your economy if the bill passes or fails?

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Sounds like a building site in there.

She sure has a lot of authority

Is there an actual time for the main vote?

[edit on 3-10-2008 by dodgygeeza]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by DirtyHarry

What is canada's perspective on all of this? What do you expect to happen to your economy if the bill passes or fails?

Well, for me personally it's a tricky thing. You have to remember one thing, our two countries are so intertangled that what ever happens in the states is felt just as bad here.

During this whole thing as your stock market blows a tire ours is doing the same. The day the dow dropped 700 points our TSX (which is the equivalent) dropped almost 900 points.

I truely belive that if your market crashes and sh*t hits the fan the same thing will happen here. Even though we are technically two seperate nations, we are in some was one big country....we are so interdependant on each other that when everything goes to hell in the states it's going to happen here.

Our government has become so dependant on the states that we are basically as people call it.....the US's little brother.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by dodgygeeza

Don't you just want to take that gavel and bash her with it, and she sure is bossy too!

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   

If that is true then why havent I heard anything about how "intertangled" we are? Canada is hardly mentioned in the media, and I dont even know of any canadian companies that are an asset of the United States.

I will say that i'm as ignorant as they come, and that I do know that the US has resources all across the globe, but to consider Canada as "the little brother" is news to me. Even in Highschool and college economics classes, nothin was ever really stated on Canada. It was all EU and asia and middle east.

I am interested in knowing about it though, and to hear that if we suffer you suffer. Sorry pal for my governments stupidity and greed.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by DirtyHarry

No need to apologise what so ever. It is my feeling that we (Canada) has whats coming to us. Our government has allowed our country to be so dependant on the US for trade that without them we cant seem to survive.

I also agree with you that i never thought we were so intertangled with the states until recently....just look at our Economy, I know every one is hurting but if you look our economy has been exact mirriors of each other since this whole situation started.

And It's our own fault. Our national resources are given to the US at a low price by our government, it's quite funny actually when you look at our oil and gas piplines...they all flow north of the border.

China has been trying to get into our national resources for years, they have even offered to pay premium prices for said resources, but our Government always seems to worried about upsetting the US governmnet that we say no.....and as such now we cant get away from the US when dealing with our major assests....through contracts and bills it's almost impossible for Canada to trade with anyone else now.

And like I said, that is noones fault but out Canadian Government and our people for allowing the government to do it.

So for me personally, and thia is just me I truely believe that because of what we have allowed to happen if the US economy falls I'll look staright north to see which country falls second.

As for people in the US not knowing about Canada and how much our country is involved in the US interests, that has many opinions and people views on it, I have my own but I dont think it's the time or the place to be speaking of such things.

I Like the US, i think it's a great country, a great trading partner, and all in all the people who live in the US are great people.

[edit on 10/3/0808 by Trayen11]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Lol, aid for the "American Family'.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Is there a time for the final vote?

I can't watch it for 90 minutes.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   

I can understand that. But you arent as bad off as what we (US) are. Look at your economy. Have you created a national debt as what the US has? Have your companies been given loans from overseas investors as much as what our companies have? Have your people been hurting as much as what we have in the aspect of mortgages and loans? Yes your economy will suffer from our recession (depression is more fitting), but you will be helped back up, you havent ruined your "credit" with the overseas investors. Correct me if i'm wrong, but in the global communities eyes, Canada is on a higher branch in the tree than what the US is.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by dodgygeeza
Is there a time for the final vote?

I can't watch it for 90 minutes.

I think they said the actual vote is around 17.30 - 18.00 GMT.

Everyone I've heard speak, so far, is for the bill except the guy speaking at the moment.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Wamp from Tennessee is changing to a yea from a previous nay vote

he must be getting some good pork dinner from the other JUNK in the bill

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Yeah, but his position is only posturing . . . 'I am going to vote yes even though I'm thoroughly disgusted at what the Senate has added . . . .'

Blah blah blah

Just like I said in another thread, they're all going to get up and say how much they hate this package but they're going to vote for it anyway and none of them have the kahones to say . . . I'm voting for this because the Bank of (insert multinational bank name here) is funding either directly or indirectly my campaign for relection so you poor slobs can pay my wages and living expenses until I quit this glorified welfare program to collect my golden pension that can't be affected by fiscal irresponsibility of the Bank of (insert multinatinal bank name here) who I really represent.

[edit on 3-10-2008 by GoalPoster]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Oh it "pains" them to vote yes........

Covering his back.....

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I don't get it, none of them even mention all the new legal powers that are acquired if this bill passes.

They all vote yes/no based on the 700 billion amount and the current state of the economy.

Doesn't this bill also mean new, disastrous legislation?

Edit: The last guy mentioned it, he said the money would be used to buy toxic assets in Britian and the Middle East, and to sustain 1-5 million dollar salaries.

[edit on 3/10/08 by enigmania]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   

I agree with you there, in the sence of a Global situation we do seem to be better than that of the US. the problem is this. our trade agreements with th states are all back by contracts which we are obligated to uphold, I just dont know how we are going to be able to get out of them.

Trust me when I say that the US is worse off than Canada is right now and I truley feel sorry for everyone there who is trying to make ends meet. But I am starting to see how your crisis is effecting us right now. In canada our Student Loans are Government financed, and now with everything going on I have recieved emails from OSAP saying we may not be able to even apply for loans next year given the state of the economy and the impact the US economy is having on us.

Just a side note and i mean no offense.......think of it this way....the US ows Canada some billions (cant remeber the actual number anymore) from the softwood lumber dispute that the American government took illegally (thats not my opionon but the opinion of the WTO)......Imagine the pounding our market will take once we realise we cant get that money.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
oh yes it's disastrous, but they have literally been bribed, with all the pork barrel earmark in the original HR 1424.

HR 1424 has been sitting in the senate for a year, they were waiting for it to just expire without approving it, but they now see it as a way to bribe the House. Money they wanted for garbage projects ($100 Billion worth) in exchange for a yea vote.

And we wonder why the rest of the world says we have the best government money can buy

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   

I feel for you on the whole student loans thing, It makes you question if you'll even be able to go to school next year. Get a loan now before its too late!

I have nothin to worry about on that aspect, I'm joining the air force here shortly, and they pay 100% of my tuition....not bad for signing my life and body away for 4 years...

I know you may not be able to say for sure, but what does the Canadian govt say on all of this? What are the public's voices shouting?

On you side note, you committed no offense to me. Opinions are opinions. You could say what you think and feel, and I can either learn from it or dismiss it. Now about the softwood scandal thingy, i have no idea what that is about. Dont have the time to research on it honestly....though i wont deny or defend that the US has run over Canada alot. Thats what big brothers do to little brothers

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   

In respect to your question about what people here are saying I can tell you that at times I'm ashamed to call myself a Canadian. In the views of people i have talked to I get a resounding. "who the *&%*&% cares about the states, I hope they crash and burn in hell." It's comments like this that bring merit to what people say about Canada, that why are arrogant at times and think that just because countries like us for than the US that we are by far better than anyone in the states. I mean come on, seriously. Our two countries are so alike in many ways thats it's not even funny, really we only different on certain things.....and allthough the things we differ on are what makes people hate the US, you still should not dismiss the entire country just because of actions the government takes.

When I hear people saying things like that it really makes me sad. I think some people in Canada do forget that without the US our country would not be as prosperous as we are....I mean realistically, If you guys were not our neighbours, our asses would have been taken over a long time ago.

Dont get me wrong though there are things that I have seen the US government do that turns my stomach, but on a whole am I going to blame the American people for that...No, and why should I.

With or without this Bailout plan, I do believe the US will make it through, I do believe that teh government of the US will have to eat some major crow and ask for help from it's neighbours and allies, and rightfully so. I just hope that when that happens that your allies can look past things that the governmnet has done and do the right thing.

after all the US is not just a government but a nation of people who really need help right now. the golbal community should take some insentive and try to help the US. I mean wether people want to believe it or not the US has done ALOT of good in this world, it just seems to get overshadowed by some of the negative things, and I don't think thats fair.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join