It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Threat of taser ends armed standoff

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Threat of taser ends armed standoff

news.smh.com.au

Within a day of Tasers being allocated to general duty officers, NSW police have used the threat of a stun gun to end a standoff with an armed man.

Officers were called to a home at Blue Haven on the NSW Central Coast about 4am (AEST) on Friday where they found a 26-year-old man armed with a knife, police said.

"The police officers saw the man pick up the knife and threaten self harm," police said in a statement.

A senior officer at the scene then pulled out his stun gun and urged the man to drop his weapon.

"The man dropped the knife and the situation was defused quickly without the Taser being activated," police said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Now THIS is the first good story I have heard about the usage of Tasers. It seems Australian Police have been watching the Youtube video's of American police wrongfully tasing victims.

This is how a Taser is supposed to be used. The man was clearly distressed and Police used the THREAT of a taser to get him to submit. Perhaps the American police should take a page from the Aussie police book when handling situations like this???

news.smh.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Now THIS is the first good story I have heard about the usage of Tasers. It seems Australian Police have been watching the Youtube video's of American police wrongfully tasing victims.

It seems that Australian citizens have been watching the Youtube video's of American police tazing victims - wrong or otherwise. Once the citizens realize what tazers do, and that police WILL use them if they act like fools, then the citizens will step in line and act like proper individuals.

This man had sense, not like that POS at the University of Florida who went on a rant and ran away from officers, screaming like a little baby, and disturbing a public function.

Some people just deserved to get tazed, no doubt about it.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by logician magician

Are you saying that the naked man who was standing on a ledge deserved to be tased? What about the 19 year old who was on the ground with a broken back after falling off an overpass. Did he deserve to be tased? Or what about the young man who was pulled over for allegedly speeding then attempted to point out the speed sign to the officer and got tased for his troubles. Did he deserve to get tased?

This is the first 'official' usage of Tasers in Australia and it turned out to be peaceful. This is excellent and I hope to hear more stories like this coming out of Australia and America.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   

This is the first 'official' usage of Tasers in Australia and it turned out to be peaceful. This is excellent and I hope to hear more stories like this coming out of Australia and America.

Are you saying that every person in Australia should be threatened with the use of a tazer? How about young children? Old ladies? Blind people? What about people in wheel chairs? Should they be threatened to be tazed?

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Nope, and I haven't the foggiest idea how you could construe that from what I wrote.

Quit making things up please and 'Deny Ignorance".

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Is there more to this story? There's seems to be a lot missing for it to make complete sense. The way 'stand-off' is presented, it kind of gives the idea of a confrontation between a man with a gun and similarly armed police. Again, such a story usually paints a picture of a man threatening the police themselves creating a bullet-fuelled stalemate. It's a bit of a stretch for this confrontation to be described as a real 'stand-off'.

Instead, we have a story that doesn't explain why the officers were called to the man's house in the first place and then seems to contradict itself in the way it describes how they found a "man armed with a knife" as, apparently, they watched him pick-up the knife after they got there.

Then, of course, you read the man is actually threatening himself not the police. Again, this is a essentially a story - the way this event is described in the paper at least - of another person who is a danger to themselves not the police, and is subsequently threatened with a laser.

Also, again the media perpetuate the lie that the taser is "less-than-lethal" which is a nonsense; people had died because of these machines.

[edit on 3-10-2008 by Merriman Weir]

[edit on 3-10-2008 by Merriman Weir]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

I do see your point Merriman, I guess I had not thought of it from that perspective. I am searching for a more in-depth article related to this as we speak which may or may not shed light on this conundrum.

PS: Merriman you may wish to edit your post to change 'laser' to 'taser'
This is not an article about "sharks armed with 'frikken lazzzers....'"

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   

reply to post by Merriman Weir

I do see your point Merriman, I guess I had not thought of it from that perspective. I am searching for a more in-depth article related to this as we speak which may or may not shed light on this conundrum.

PS: Merriman you may wish to edit your post to change 'laser' to 'taser'
This is not an article about "sharks armed with 'frikken lazzzers....'"

Done. My typing is all over the place these days. Apologies and thanks for pointing it out.

new topics

top topics

join