It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Best software for analyzing photographs is….?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I find myself constantly searching for new photos and videos of both Unidentified Flying Objects, as well as supposed structures on both the Moon and Mars…aahhh, another addiction.

It is quite apparent that if I want answers to the many, many questions I have, I will need to roll up the sleeves and get my own hands dirty.

I did some leg work of my own in order to show due diligence, so here is what I have compiled so far:

Adobe Photoshop CS3 – Image Analysis
Adobe Lightroom – Image Management
DXO Optics Pro 4 – Eliminate Distortion/Color Optimization/Dust Removal(?)

Is this overboard or not enough? And please understand this is at an amateur level, hopefully converting to pro status some day…if I am WAY off base in my choice of software, please show me the light!

I look forward to all input and welcome any recommendations….

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I know that's not what you're asking for but i found two articles **12** that i'm sure you will like .
edit: and i found his site/blog Here
(lol sorry for the edits, it's getting late over here) i'll come back later in this thread probably plus i have some reading to handle as you can see)

(the very last edit i promess now):
This is a video of him explaining it all

[edit on 2-10-2008 by themaster1]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by themaster1

Outstanding...thank you Kind Sir.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I prefer photoshop CS 3, with different plugins of course..

Almost every artist I know of uses photoshop, and a couple different programs for "rare" special effects that can't be found in a photoshop plugin.

I took a course in photography and editing a few years ago, that helped to get me hooked on both to this day

Looking forward to see your analyzed photos

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Secret

Looking forward to see your analyzed photos

Appreciate the info and the motivation...

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Well, Ive done my fair share of analyzing around here....and I use only Adobe products. I have PSE 5, PS7, PSCS3.

Good Luck!

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:41 AM
link   
The best software basically don't exist, it's always depending on what you have to do: there are many extremely specific softwares, many of them are in use only by people who work on this stuff day after day, for professional purposes. But REMEMBER, my friend: the most important device is your EYE. No one will ever replace the human EYE: some guy whatsoever who owns some latest version of PS won't have any chance to do what is able to do a good analyst, even if the good analyst has just Microsoft paint or even a notepad and a pen: a serious analysis is made by reason, logic, common sense, experience, and also (IF needed) some filter. Needless to say: a good analyst with some good / excellent software is the ideal couple. What i mean, is that the software by itselfs is unable to do anything useful.

[edit on 3/10/2008 by internos]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by internos

the most important device is your EYE

Noted...

Lasik eye surgery it is!

Thanks for dropping in man...

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I cant remember the name of the software but one really good one analyzes noises / patterns. That can tell alot if for example something was added or cloned in the picture.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   
*sigh*
If there was a way to remove the "smudges" from the Moon photo's, now that would be a REAL sensation, but I suppose it can not be done.
*sigh*

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   
The software you mentioned are mostly for enhancing images: there are many PS filters for denoising, removing motion blur, etc.

The most useful tool for checking whether a digital picture is original or edited is JPEGSnoop. Hoaxers are never able to match the original perfectly, because of many hidden information in a JPEG: EXIF maker notes and directory structure, quantization tables, chroma subsampling, etc.

Analyzing the image content of non-original JPEG is much harder.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by nablator

The most useful tool for checking whether a digital picture is original or edited is JPEGSnoop.

I will look into it asap.

Thank you for the input!

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr. Secret
I prefer photoshop CS 3, with different plugins of course..

which plugins do you recommend?

and why of course?

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
[edit: oops mysterious double post, sorry for that]

[edit on 3-10-2008 by orange-light]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by chapter29

If you have the money, start your collection with Photoshop. There are others, cheaper or free, but PS is the best. If you are going to want to mess with videos. Make sure you get CS3 Extended.

CS4 is available on preorder right now. You may save a little that way, I'm not sure. It could be a while before it comes out though. Depends on how the beta progresses.

CS4 is designed to work with newer NVidia Graphics cards ranging from about $350 to $3,000. You will want to have a machine with at least 2 gigs RAM but most important, plenty of disk space for virtual memory and multiple hard-drives for more. What you can do is limited by the available virtual memory. It can handle up to many terabytes. Some NASA images are huge. This stuff is not needed by most people, but I mention it in case you are interested enough to head toward Pro work.

You are going to go through storage media like crazy.

As to plug-ins. All they do is redesign how features already in PS are used for the most part. Each new release of PS seems to eliminate the need for some of the plug-ins. The plug-ins I use are mostly for other types of work. Knowing how to use PS features is far more important than plug-ins.

Lightroom is nice, but not really needed unless you are going to do Pro Photography.

You won't find many photo's on the Internet that can be of much use. What you need to debunk is originals at original quality. Also, don't fall into the trap of thinking that after filtering you are looking at what is in the original. Learn how the filters alter the image. PS filtering is often used by hoaxers and overzealous advocates trying to prove something is in an image that was never there, but added by the software.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by internos

Excellent advice.

It is also now necessary to these days to be familiar with what renders from various software packages look like as opposed to actual photo's. As the engines get better it gets harder and harder.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
As Internos said, you are the most important tool in photo analysis, although some imaging software helps.

For those without the money to buy Photoshop (which is very good but expensive, and way over the needs of photo analysis) you can download The Gimp, it's free and it does most of the things Photoshop does, although not as fast.

If you want to see photos from the Moon and Mars, specially from Mars, I suggest you download NASAView, it can read the IMG files NASA uses and that do not suffer from the compression artifacts. It's free and available here, but it requires you to register, send me a U2U if you want it but not want to register.

After a lot of time spend trying it I have some time ago finally installed the software NASA uses to work with and create many of their images, Isis3, but it only works on some "flavours" of Unix and Linux and it's huge (the whole program and data sets are something around 45 Giga Bytes.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Thanks ArMap....

U2U asap...Look forward to understanding this topic much better.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Also, don't fall into the trap of thinking that after filtering you are looking at what is in the original. Learn how the filters alter the image

Tops!

I hear you Lima Charlie!

The understanding of filters is on top of the list...

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I would say photoshop is one of the greatest programs for enhancing images. There are literally hundreds of plugins which can further extend photoshops abilities, and a lot of them are free.
www.openexr.com...

Originally posted by Lyrian
*sigh*
If there was a way to remove the "smudges" from the Moon photo's, now that would be a REAL sensation, but I suppose it can not be done.
*sigh*

Unfortunately you are right, as that can't be done, as the original data is gone, which is the point. There is a filter which can sharpen, and also other methods of sharpening, but that can only get you so far, as you will never get it back to the original state. There was this secret ilm method I heard of in school which involved using hundreds of layers which could improve images, but I never got to learn that method. :/

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join