It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers clone Elvis's passport

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Hackers clone Elvis's passport

www.pcpro.co.uk

Hackers have released source code that allows the "backup" of RFID-protected passports, although the tool can potentially be used to create fake or cloned documents.

The Hacker's Choice, a non-commercial group of computer security experts, has released a video showing a cloned passport being approved by a security scanner at a Dutch airport. When the reader scans the passport it is revealed to belong to one Elvis Aaron Presley, complete with picture.

A blog post on the site explains that the "attack makes it possible to copy, forge and modify the data so that it is still accepted as a genuine valid passport by the terminal."

However, the scanner is not the same type used at actual border controls, so it is unclear whether this tool could actually be used to fool passport control security checks.

Strangely, for a group of computer experts, their proposed solution to the vulnerability is to avoid computers altogether.

"We know that humans are good at border control. In the end they protected us well for the last 120 years. We also know that humans are good at pattern matching and image recognition. Humans also do an excellent job 'assessing' the person and not just the passport. Take the human part away

and passport security falls apart," says the blog post
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2-10-2008 by computerwiz32]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I can't believe that hackers now can clone passports that use the RFID chips.

lol I would love to see what's next.

also here is a video they made: click here to watch:video.google.com...

www.pcpro.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Rather worrying isn't it?

I posted on this some time ago

My Thread

And not many people seemed bothered about it.

A little surprising considering how we tend to think around here, but I'm with you that this is scary, scary stuff indeed.

Peace,

MGGG

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Speaking as a computer professional, when other computer professionals tell you that a computer is NOT good for a job, then it is REALLY, REALLY LOUSY at it.

Much like the old saying "when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail", computer geeks try and computerize ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING they can. For them to say "Don't computerize this" should cause people to wake up and pay attention.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Whats the point anyway. The man has been dead since the late 70's. What do these hackers intend to do anyway, dress up as Elvis and go to China?!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

I dont think you understand the point of the article. It is not that they cloned Elvis's passport, it's that the ability to clone passports is now proven. Like it has been said, a computer being left to detect something like this would fail, that is why the human element is necessary to help insure security.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Precisely - never trust a computer.

The fact that they can do this just makes me scream about the whole biometrics and RFID based future - as you can tell by my avatar.

So what if it was elvis. They were making a point.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I'll take it you were being sarcastic, RFBurns, right?

I'll chime in here aswell...

In robotics... my training, and ultimately my purpose, is to automate everything and anything I can, within reasonable limits of course.

And I agree with this hacking group.

THIS IS NOT SOMETHING YOU WANT TO AUTOMATE!

The thing most people don't seem to understand about automated processes is, machines don't think!

If a human designs it, a human can undermine it.

However, it's much harder to undermine a group of individuals, who's training is to catch you trying to undermine them.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Actually I am well versed in computer science and technology..NMSU graduate and a Masters in the subject as well as electronic and electrical engineering.

Yes I was being sarchastic..because it doesnt make any sense to clone a passport when the same technology can detect said clone and see it is in fact a clone. Hence fake, false, an easy spottable and stoppable item.

Point I am making is this.....a 1 and a 0 can be copied no matter how complex it is made. Ok we all have known that since the early days of the first microchip.

Also, as the technology level becomes more complex, so does the detection and prevention.

A good example of that is virus programs and its distribution. There is the mirror, the preevntion and detection..and elimination that goes right along with it.

So the whole intent on the hackers is to prove they can duplicate the passport. That is no big deal or anything to cheer over or give credit for.

Just keep in mind that your passport, your credit card, your encrypted passworded accounts can also be hacked by these hackers everyone is putting up on a pillar.

But feel good that there are honest people in the industry right there too that will intercept and prevent you from being hacked as well!

Two sides to every coin.

Cheers!!!

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Those guys are pretty sharp!
Must of been pretty difficult to do. I agree with what they say, take the human element out of the process, and it fails. They should do both. Why can't they scan them, and look at the passport and gauge the person at the same time. But seeing as though it was not the same scanner used by border patrols, it may not be that big of a deal anyways. I wonder how effective it is at a border.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
The scary thing about this is that it's automated system.

Even if you make more scripts to find clones or to stop hackers the problem is we need more humans involve because code always need to be updated but with humans we have a sense that if we think the person is a fake we can call security or someone to investigate.

I am saying that humans have a quicker way to respond then code does. I mean if the code is outdated then hackers can get through.

Sorry I didn't seen any posting on this on ATS this is why I created the post.

I hope people wake up. I think we need more human involved with any service system that needs high security rather then use computer code to shortly protect the system since it will always need upgrading.

I have took electronic courses and I have learned programming by myself with the help of pro- programmers.

So far been looking for a job and just today got a reply from a company in Utah for a job so I am excited I passed there test. Which looks like I may have a job.

I posted this to really open the non technical peoples eyes on why we need more humans on services that needs high security.

Like someone said you can copy binary which is the rawest data. So I don't think we should use computer code to protect a system since it requires humans to update the code but that code is always faulty at some point which they just have to make another upgrade.

I also saw a guy on youtube in Germany which he hacked a highway led display sign with a laptop and display a image of him with Text saying honk if you think he is hot.

lol

I mean it makes you think how these guys are able to break into a system that was developed by a team of professionals. It makes the professionals look bad.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I think they are trying to fight the NWO, because apparently they want this same technology to be Implemented into our skins.
You cant have people going arround as Elite Bankers, now can you?

top topics

join