It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why not give every American a million dollars??

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   
According to some calculations, here's what the bailout amounts to if you split it up different ways.

Every person in the US: $2,325 per person
All adults in the US: $3,482 per adult
All taxpayers in the US: $5072 per taxpayer
All non-zero taxpayers in the US: $7692 per paying taxpayer
All family households in the US: $9210 per family household

morepolitics.blogspot.com...

While it's not $1 million I wouldn't mind getting a check for a few thousand. Of course you know what half the people would do with this money? New Playstation and plasma television of course. That's why the market should be left alone. It would punish the bad behavior and reward the good.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Expressions that start with "If you think about it" or "I've been thinking about it and" are obviously from people who have not done their research on the subjects that they are sharing thir opinions with. People who "think" about something and express an opinion are not the ones that should be giving advice becasue they are missing important facts. If the government gave everyone $1,000,000, problems like you would not believe would result. Research that first!!!!!

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
If you ever do get that miracle check, put it into anything that has value immediately because when that cash hits the streets the dollar is worth that much less.

Analogy:

You ever buy into a poker game? Dollars for chips.

Lets play poker!
Player A puts in $300.
Player B adds 200.
C donates the box to keep the money in- the kitty.
D donates a big ole pile of shiny new chips to the kitty
E talks about how great it is that we have the box in the first place.
The money goes in the box.
5 players have 500 dollars.
To make things fair everybody gets a 100 dollar stack of poker chips.
Then we start to play
Player A wins most of the chips and what do the other 4 do? vote themselves (and player A of course - must be fair) another pile of chips. Game gets slow? Add another stack of chips. Meanwhile they get hungry and thirsty. Call for take out. What the hell? Lets use the money in the kitty to pay for pizza and beer. We've got plenty of chips.
After a while -no more cash in the kitty so we all chip in with cash from our pockets- no problem - plenty of chips.
Eventually we're tapped out.
We can't buy pizza and beer with chips. So we let the pizza guy play if he brings the food. Sounds good to him.
Things go on for a while until pizza guy wants to cash in and leave.
No money in the kitty.
Chips are worthless.
Pizza guy leaves taking a promise of payment but knowing it is worthless.
Who wins, guy with the most chips?

Obviously it is C,D and E who got a free buy in and got to play and eat and drink with no real input.
You say " That would never happen. Nobody is that stupid. "

Wrong
Kitty filled with chips = FED
Player A = taxpayer
players B = business
Player C ,D and E = politics/special interest/wall street
money from our pockets =IRS
Pizza guy=foreign investment

A , B and of course the pizza guy walk away the losers.

This is what our "Bailout" consists of: Another pile of chips.

Simplistic? Yes.

Real? Oh yes.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

ok first this would be for American working familys only!! And why arent we more concerned with where and to whom this 700 billion is going? we are giving loans to companys that have tanked there own corparations!! and they are spending a good deal of it on multi million dollar bonuses for the executives!!!! if you have bad credit, poor money management a bank will not give a loan to you for 10k, so why should the we the tax payers bail out the very institutions that have sunk there own ship?

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by KaginD

I agree with you but to one point kagin, is one littler problem with the sopping see America is not longer a producer but a consumer, because most of our goods are import from foreign countries the only ones to benefits from the spending boom is actually the foreign countries that import to us.

Yes if we pay bills we will be better off, if we buy homes yes we will help construction and the housing market.

But if we go shopping China is the one that will be the winner.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Even if they were to give each American a million dollars, it wouldn't do no good.Companies would just jack up their prices to make the million dollars meaningless.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Well.....1million * 350million = 350 trillion.

Our national debt is only aproximately 10 trillion, and its already breaking our economy. A national debt of 350 trillion would be crazy.

I think a national debt of 30,000$ / citizen is plenty enough.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by KaginD

Think about this, if every one us was millionaires, who in the heck you think is going to work. Because grant you if I had a million dollars, the last thing on my mind would be a job. The fast food chains would have to shut down; because again who you think would work for minimal wages when they have a million dollars? Who would serve you in the restaurants? Lets not talk about the shopping malls; I would love to know who is going to serve us at Macy’s. Needless to say, we would soon run out of cars, homes, food, etc and guess what, there’s no one left to build more homes, cars etc because we are all millionaires. Not a good ideal you need a better plan. The economy would truly die in less than a week at best. Sure a few people would keep their jobs example Oprah, President elect Obama, some doctors etc. But will it be enough of them to keep America going I think not. Linda Butler,GA

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I think a million is a little much as well, & agree that the prices would inflate & it wouldnt get anyone anywhere...however, based on how much taxes you pay is a good start, if i pay 10,000 give me that back. At this point I see people using it to pay off debt. As well as then feel like they have money they can spend. Good idea! Doubt it will ever happen....

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Why is it so hard to allowed the tax-payers to gain in this $7billion bail-out for big banks, mortgage leanders,auto industry, credit companies charging huge interest to no limit on the money they borrow out. all had a hand in this mess not just the home-owners in trouble and brokers that lie for big profits on huge turn-around on home sales. forced restructuring of mortgage will only help those whom the banks and mortgage leanders will not help on there own unless force to, if they cannot make money they will not .I say bail-out all us tax-payers in a voucher or taxcredit to pay-off mortgage payment and all debits s,credits. if congress set aside $2billion of this $7billion to help all americans that would be fair since they are giving away- tax-pays money to the private sector on using fear factor to pass laws to throw money there way but for-get the paying tax-payer they are not worthy of any help we should all be sick of this trickle-down economic bull that only inrich the rich.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
1. $1,000,000 for every American citizen and all legal aliens whether working and paying taxes or not, dispersed over four years, equaling $250,000 each year. (Alphabetically staggered initiation, i.e. A’s begin January 1, B’s begin April 1, C’s begin July1 etc. to filter money back into system) Finances will be made available on the first and fifteenth of each month in increments of $10,416.67 per installment.
2. Paid increments will be taxable according to established governing regulations. (local, state and federal)
3. Program will boost need for employees working in the money management/money market field as well as most other areas of employment where demand is present, therefore creating job opportunities from top executives to custodial professionals.
4. Consumer will be urged to keep or gain employment to strengthen productivity in relative communities.
5. Program will allow the consumer to “bail out” which companies he or she chooses. The automobile, real estate and banking industries will flourish as a result.
6. Everyone starts with the same amount, instituting the “Monopoly Effect”, whereas all have an equal chance of owning Boardwalk and Park Place. What the consumer chooses to do with his or her finances is solely in their control. What the consumer ends up with is up to him or her.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Well in its essence, this idea has been posted before on ATS, to give the bailout money to the citizens.

But, just for the heck of it:

There are an estimated 111,162,259 households in the US.

wiki.answers.com...

That would be approximately $6,297 per household, and that's including all households, not just the legal ones. So that figure could be higher if illegal immigrant households were excluded, for example. (Don't anyone shoot me for God's sakes, it's just an example.)

So then if one half of that was forced IRA's, where people were required as part of the deal to invest half into tax-deductible IRAs, the government basically could then take the $350 Billion from those investments and secure compounding interest on that money.

Additionally we could require that money to be 100% backed by gold as a hedge against inflation, essentially sealing it for solid retirements. And of course it would be untouchable period, even to black project ops financiers. Leave our damn money alone.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by KaginD

the big cheese doesn't give a crap about us wish everyone would come to there senses and realize this obama is in the club now...

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
According to the IRS, approximately 135 million Americans filed tax returns last year, if everyone that filed a tax return were given $100,000 that would equal 13.5 billion dollars.
If there were specific conditions placed on receiving that money, catching up on your mortgage payments, paying off your student loans, paying off your credit card debt, no unemployment benefits for 3 months and such. That money could help reduce the toxic asset problems, put money into the biggest driver of our economy, the consumer and start freeing up the banks to start stimulating the economy instead of clearing up the write-offs on their balance sheets.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Big foundational problem.

1,000,000 x 303,000,000 = 303,000,000,000,000 dollars.

That is 303 trillion dollars.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Revolution-2012

Well we are already looking at paying 53 trillion. Why don't we stop the slow bleeding and just go for the jugular?

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by KaginD
reply to post by Blueracer

Thats a really good point. Its done all the time. They would def. inflate the prices on goods and services if everyone was rich.

So everything would have to be capped for awhile.

It's crazy isn't it - the way we take advantage of each other - time after time -
People in crisis - earthquake - no water - RAISE the price!
We have SO much to learn if we are to survive.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Because America is only 10+ trillion in debt.

However, I would like a million dollars.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
The original poster i think meant give every american family the money, not individuals. But even so, me and a friend were talking about this earlier today. Here is what we came up with.

What do you fix when you give the banks and car dealerships the money? Well the Americans are still broke, no cars will be bought. no loans will be taken out, people will still be without the house the bank took back. The american people would still be hurting, the bank workers and other companies will be eating $300 steak while we are still eating beans in a can.

Why not give every American 18 yrs or older a quarter of a million, or at least 100k. Cars will be bought, loans will be taken out. People spend money when they have it to spend. People invest in stocks, buy gas and spend money many other different ways..... when they have it that is!!!

America can fix itself naturally, we dont need our government to say what is the best idea. You cant have a good economy if the people in it dont have the funds to support it

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join