It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gorbachev to form new Russian party

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Gorbachev to form new Russian party

news.yahoo.com

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev will join forces with Russian tycoon Alexander Lebedev to launch a new political party independent of the Kremlin, the billionaire businessman said on Tuesday.

"He gave our people freedom but we just can't learn how to use it," wrote Lebedev, who said the provisional name of the new party is the 'Independent Democratic Party'.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I love it. The Russians are getting the idea about third party politics and trying to rival against the establish way of things under Putin. Putin has been against multiparty representation and seems not to be able to set aside power after his term of being president with being named Prime Minister. I hope that that the US will back Gorby like we did when he brought down the wall and gave economic, political and social freedom to Russia in the late 80's and early 90's. If there was any cause to get behind it is this.

news.yahoo.com

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigvig316

I love it. The Russians are getting the idea about third party politics and trying to rival against the establish way of things under Putin. Putin has been against multiparty representation and seems not to be able to set aside power after his term of being president with being named Prime Minister. I hope that that the US will back Gorby like we did when he brought down the wall and gave economic, political and social freedom to Russia in the late 80's and early 90's. If there was any cause to get behind it is this.

news.yahoo.com

Why are you assuming what Russians want? Russians LOVE Putin and Medvedev they have astronomical approval rating compared to your Bush, and they hate Gorbachev so I don't see why you would want to shove Gorby back down their throats for a 2nd time after they had already long regurgitated him.

It is typically American to assume what another country wants or NEEDS in terms of the political, social, etc. Gorbachev lives in New York doing Dominas Pizza commercials and that's what he should stay doing, no one wants him back.

[edit on 1-10-2008 by rufusdrak]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by rufusdrak

The communist party had high approval ratings too. Mainly because they were told to.

new topics

top topics

join