It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What has ATS opened your eyes/mind to?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Hi everyone. I've been a member for a little while now and absolutely love this site! It's become more or less my spare time hobby. I can spend hours at a time pouring over the threads on here. And I like to think I've learned a lot. For instance....

When I joined, I did believe that alien civilizations were out there, but not here. I thought that if they had been here, it was maybe Roswell and that's it. Now I believe that they may very well be here, but that Roswell was likely an early cold war tactic perpetrated by the US government to make the Soviets wonder if maybe it could be true. And thereby, maybe the US government has some new 'out of this world' technology to base new weapons on. Is the thought of that more frightening, or is not knowing for sure? Effective disinformation.

Before I joined, I'd never heard of "the shadow people". It's pretty creepy stuff. I'm not quite ready to say I believe in them but if nothing else, it makes for some pretty good reading. Not to mention an interesting crack of light glowing from under the closed door of the basic human psyche.

I'd never heard of the "web bots", either. Now I read everything I can find on them, just to see if they are even the tiniest bit more accurate than simply basing guesses on probability. So far I've been impressed enough to read on. But the jury is still out on that one, for me.

I now feel that before I joined, I didn't fully understand the depths of main stream media's constant skewing and spinning of the facts as they present them. I did know that they see and report global events from one perspective but I always felt this was more of a shortcoming, than the deliberate tactics that I know feel are intentionally and commonly employed to sway public opinion on whatever issues.

And perhaps most interesting to me. I had little idea how widespread and constant, the overall peoples distrust for their government really is. Another fascinating crack of light from under that same closed door, that it now seems 'someone' is perhaps trying to open.

So those are some of the things that ATS has opened my eyes/mind to. What has ATS done for you?

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
ATS has made me try and be nicer to people and not use personal attacks, other wise you lose your points

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
well, id only post on word, but it is deemed by ATS as too short. however, we all know that brevity is the soul of wit......so perhaps there may be no good humour on ATS....?

anyway, to answer the thread title 'what has ats opened my eyes to"?

REINHARDT!!!!

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Frankly, that there are a lot of people out there absolutely desperate to maintain paranoid beliefs and delusions of grandeur at the cost of common sense.

Sad, but true.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Honestly? That within such an apparently open-minded community there can be a worrying amount of narrow-mindedness with regards to their fellow man.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Probably Martin Bryant ...

How ten years ago Australia was disarmed.

That our Government would murder 35 of its own citizens OUTRAGEOUS.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.loveforlife.com.au...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.shootersnews.addr.com...

thanks ATS

[edit on 1/10/08 by ROO-meh]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
What has ATS opened your mind/eyes to ?

Not a lot, to be honest.

Gained ten times as much documented information in a tenth the time on other sites. But .. and this speaks volumes .. most of those other sites mysteriously vanished.

Which leads me to suspect ATS is permitted to continue running because there's not a lot here that threatens the PTB, and by PTB, I mean one group in particular which appears to own ATS.

Nevertheless, I've been back in ATS for the past couple of weeks and generally have enjoyed whiling away some time. Many of the posters are genuine and sincere and some are admirable.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
What has ATS taught me? Well it's made me realise that some people will believe in absolutely anything if it comes in neat, easy to open, packaging and yet will steadfastly refuse to accept the obvious if it flies in the face of the paranormal or supernatural.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
My eyes have been opened to the fact that I am definitely not alone in thinking and researching many of the topics that are discussed here. It seems like I am surrounded "Locally" by so many people that are just so narrow or closed minded that they really don't have a clue besides what the MSM tells them.
It is a great feeling to know that practically anything can be discussed here, and that most of the time you will get honest and well researched replies to the threads by so many others who are like minded as I am.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock6

"Which leads me to suspect ATS is permitted to continue running because there's not a lot here that threatens the PTB, and by PTB, I mean one group in particular which appears to own ATS."

Oh please tell me more.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
ATS opened my eyes with showing that I am not alone in my thoughts and the amount of people that want to know what is really going on is growing.

That is something that gives me a bit of faith and hope for the future.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
ats has opened my eyes to fact that there is extreem conspiracy and extreem this and that also that there is a big divide between conspiricy and spiritualizum and normality where really the balance needs to be found. Also it opens my eyes to the fact that people talk of new world order whats the difference between that and what is now (different key players) but doing the same stuff???? It has opened my eyes that really what needs to be talked about is TRUE WORLD ORDER

I Write this with the greatest of respect

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
*Global puddle of experience*

ATS has, rather they, and everyone here under Umbrella ATS: the glue.

Has opened my eyes that I can be as far away from the subject matters as I need to be/am while still seeking to understand their content matters as they relate to the explaination of my experience for which I have no words.

Has given me a place where I can view the strength of others bravery and translate this to a tool of observational learning-because this is how "I" learn to do a thing-as I am certainly the cowardly lion.

Gives a pleasant atmosphere of oral teaching-even though it is written-and content aside in the matter; I've been watching the "how to".

ATS members pool their data to offer a wide array of shared knowledge and experience, which helps me to take the "It" of what I'm thinking from a silence to a speaking

-as that is the what I'm lacking-in everything I do.

Not that I knew that it mattered, but I looked around and knew--that there they are the others-and they live and breathe here too.

ATS give me access to self confirming data outside of myself and the belief of what I was living-seeing. If I wake one day to understand it was all in CIA programming~there'd be no way for me to track which and who, and so anyways...:hey"

Has given a platform of shared knowledge where lay the proofs of my own experience, given strength by another's view: sadly sometimes ridiculed, but hey, I'm a ridiculer too.

And, sometimes a reminder of wary, and sometimes a caution to the wind, but always another's filling piece of myself by viewing another's side stepping of fears.

well...pooped on the choppy poetry.

Because here I can *access* people who care where (waves finger) no where else can I access but only the smallest bits of intelligent inspired *experienced* truth seekers.

Good nuf reason?

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by thrashee

Frankly, that there are a lot of people out there absolutely desperate to maintain paranoid beliefs and delusions of grandeur at the cost of common sense.

Frankly, Thrash (what's up buddy!) is right....but he forgot too mention the bouts of delusion the other side endures on a regular basis as well.

In addition, the ability to rationally contemplate the opposing sides views is a must on this site - not to bad of an attribute to have off line as well..

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
ATS has opened my mind to how truly rare it is to find someone pure of thought and motive, able to construct coherent thoughts, support arguments with well reasoned and documented arguments, and apply critical thinking in the pursuit of rational discourse.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Some very good points and a healthy dose of cynicism. I thank you all for that, as I believe both to be important. But I'm really sort of looking for specific things that you've discovered here that make you feel somewhat enlightened or suddenly 'in the know'.

Do you feel richer or poorer for your time spent on ATS? Give examples please. All comments are welcome but the most valuable ones are those that offer something to be considered. Still, I thank you all for your time on this thread. Be well.

[edit on 10/1/2008 by Static Sky]

[edit on 10/1/2008 by Static Sky]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
The desire for people to talk about something far exseeds their desire to know what it is they are talking about.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Incarnated
The desire for people to talk about something far exseeds their desire to know what it is they are talking about.

I'm married and I love my wife very much. But believe you me, I know what this comment means and agree completely.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ATSfan
'what has ats opened my eyes to"?

REINHARDT!!!!

Me too. In the last two days since I have been aware of them he/she seems to avoid the distractions that many conspiracy sleuths get waysided with. Since I've been on ATS I have also come to question the UFOs on YouTube more. I am now thinking 50/50 chance they are terrestrial in nature.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Static Sky

Do you feel richer or poorer for your time spent on ATS? Give examples please. All comments are welcome but the most valuable ones are those that offer something to be considered. Still, I thank you all for your time on this thread. Be well.

I certainly feel richer in the sense that the whole site is like a gigantic RSS feed of conspiracy and 'alternative' news. A lot of news stories or specific angles on news stories I'd just not come across if not for coming here, and I say that as someone who's lurked for years before joining.

As for poorer, I'm a bit loathe to foist criticism on this site as, ultimately it's a fantastic resource and opportunity, but sometimes, the some of the more strident anti-(whatever) or pro-(whatever) makes me leave the site with a little less faith in fellow conspiracists. That's certainly not specific to this site, but perhaps I expect a little more due to the fact that I'd hope the people that frequent here were more 'open-minded' and generally more 'informed'.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join