It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nobel judge: U.S. too ignorant to compete

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

You forgot For Whom the Bell Tolls, The Sun Also Rises, The Old Man and the Sea. There's a reason Hemingway did win the prize.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

I really want to know where you went to "study." Though I guess you can't expect much from an art school, no offense to artists or yourself. Because I can't imagine that in my university.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I have seen just about every other country mentioned in this thread except us Aussies! We have some outstanding authors like Bryce Courtney, Matthew Riley, John Marsden just to name a few.....

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by sc2099
reply to post by grover

You forgot For Whom the Bell Tolls, The Sun Also Rises, The Old Man and the Sea. There's a reason Hemingway did win the prize.

The Old Man and The Sea...my all time favorite.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 02:22 AM
link   
The US has more than its fair share of Nobel Laurettes in the sciences. It is highly improbable that the US will not win at least one Nobel science prize this year.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Johnmike

I am largely self taught though I got my graphics degree at a local community college, and a good one.

Ever since I learned about the great conservation as it is sometimes called I have made a point of studying the arts and sciences, literature, history, anthropology, religion, mysticism, mythology and symbolism, psychology and philosophy among others... what I call the nut (as in both the essence and insanity of mankind) of humanity and over the past 30+ years given myself the equivalent of a degree in the humanities... the graphic arts degree was for employment... the rest was for my own enlightenment.

The thing about all great literature, indeed all great art is that it takes the personal and makes it universal and takes the universal and makes it personal.

When you read for example Don Quixote (the best translation I've read is Samuel Putnam's) yes its funny but at the same time by the 2nd book the humor becomes something far more profound, a dissection of reality where dreams and madness meet and questions the difference... and does anyone really believe Moby Dick is really about a big white whale?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join