It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ITV to launch 'embedded' adverts during programmes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   

ITV to launch 'embedded' adverts during programmes

www.dailymail.co.uk

Viewers who like to avoid advert breaks by fast-forwarding through them or making a cup of tea, will no longer be able to avoid them under new plans revealed by ITV.

The broadcaster is developing a form of advertisement that is embedded into programmes, showing logos or messages in clear spaces such as blue sky.

The new technology is known as 'automatically placed overlay advertising' and has been developed by Californian company Keystream.

It is being tested on some of the news footage shown on the ITV Local website, with logos from USwitch.com and Freesat appearing in the background. If well-received it could be rolled out onto ITV's television programmes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Well received???

I think not.

Let's hope the TV regulator, Ofcom, stops this invasion into most peoples viewing habbits.

They say that viewers may eventually just switch off. I wouldn't blame them. I switched my TV off over 10 years ago. Adverts on TV are bad enough as it is and there was recent talk about adverts being shown for 12 minutes at a time.

So, not only do we see all of these products in our highstreets, newspapers and in broadcasts, we may now have to suffer them through any or all programmes/films we watch on TV.

I can just see a film like star wars being shown and multiple adverts covering every available space in all the 'outer space' shots....that's a lot of advertising..

Switch it off...

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I've stopped watching TV myself the internet is my choice of distraction in recent years ITV in general don't have great programming anyway .

I have doubts the British public would put up with Ads to the extent Americans do already I've listened to a few American Radio shows and could not believe the length of the Adverts and how many there was. Honestly seemed to me there was more Adverts than programming.

I think if ITV pushes ahead with schemes like this they will just lose what viewers they have left to the other channels now that digital is taking over no-one will be limited to the 5 channels of old.

I for one already have cable and plenty of channels even though I don't watch them it's just a perk of my broadband so I assume almost everyone else will just switch channels.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I say stop watching TV as well.

At least they aren't using the technology that phillips (i think) has patented that would disable your TV from changing the channel during a commercial.

arstechnica.com...

the redoubtable European giant has developed a way to keep television free for the masses for the foreseeable future—a patent application for a device which prevents a user from changing the channel during commercials.

To put it bluntly, the television industry has been having some economic problems of late. The classic model of running a commercial break every 10 or 15 minutes during a program is breaking down as consumers discover the joys of avoiding ads through channel surfing and outright skipping via digital video recorder.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Im gonna have to up my rapidshare download limit

Actually no I dont... ITV dont screen anything worth watching anyway.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   
ITV is rubbish

Who cares

Apart from my GF making me sit through the bloody Xfactor on saturdays

Still - the ITV digital channels have the odd decent movie.....

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 06:43 AM
link   
The implications of this are really worrying, not to mention it would an aesthetic nightmare. Whilst people are scoffing as to whether ITV is worth watching in the first place, once the precedent sets in, I can see the delivery model becoming commonplace.

I'm wondering how long before an advert-free subscription service is launched?

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   
And here is the funniest thing of all..

ITV makes its money from having adverts on their channel...
So what does ITV plan now...

Sack its staff... 1,000 of them...

madness..

ITV to axe more than 1,000 staff in cost cutting move

ITV is axing 1,000 jobs in a cost-cutting drive after a £36million slump in its profits this year.

The broadcaster admitted it plans to cut almost a fifth of its 5,500 workforce by next March.

Around 430 posts are to go at its regional news operation, which has already been earmarked for a £40million cost-cutting drive.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
That don't surprise me

I'm actually kind of surprised that they havent started directly aiming TV ads at particular customers - what with most people subsribing to cable now a days how much would it piss you off if every ad started with 'Mr Smith! our records show you have been watching ........ we would like to offer you ....."

I watch an unhealthy amount of TV anyway - time to change!

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
This is the great thing about the BBC you don't get any adverts and can watch programmes like heroes uninterrupted. Yet saying that I always wish there was an advert so I could go to the toilet or make a brew.

Anyhows the license fee is steep and some of the programmes they broadcast are Sh*t....

A good idea is to broadcast one advert in a hour show. The advert can last 9 mins, that gives you enough time to go to the toilet, make a drink, phone someone, go to the shop ect.....I dont think the idea wud catch on though.....

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I read somewhere that ITV1 was maybe gonna switch to a fully digital channel. Ie 7pm until 1am daily. Totally ridding itself of all daily programming, News & Sports. So its just gonna be 6 hrs a day of reality tv and coronation street. entertainment.uk.msn.com... I think its just an idea at this stage. Maybe there going to give this advertising a try just to make enough revenue to continue. If that doesnt work then its going fully digital. Itv's gone to the dogs anyway

[edit on 10/1/2008 by Matt.Trakker]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

join