It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Scientology protest material removed from YouTube following threats of legal action

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Anti-Scientology protest material removed from YouTube following threats of legal action

Wikinews

The video sharing website YouTube has removed several anti-Scientology videos following threats of legal action. Wikinews found that at least 11 videos have been removed from the site following Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) notices served on YouTube by Dr. Oliver Schaper, Scientologist and self-described advocate of the Church of Scientology's rights to free speech. Schaper, in an interview with Wikinews reporter Jason Safoutin, denied involvement in a previous run of DMCA requests involving similar video material. However, the videos in question bear a message that Schaper was the originator of the request.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1/10/2008 by Beelzebubba]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   
As Scientology asserts its Freedom of Speech, critics of the controversial cult are silenced by the threat of legal action against any that choose to assert their fundamental rights.

It is obvious that these 11 video's were those placed online by 'Anonymous.' Will Scientology threaten others into aquiescence? Will Google Inc. be next or even (Heaven forbid)
ATS itself?

Wikinews
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1/10/2008 by Beelzebubba]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:29 AM
link   
This will only serve to deepen the resolve of Anonymous, and not dissolve it. I have been following the Anonymous movement against $cientology on the Enturbulation site and they expected this to happen, even welcome it as it only shows that everything they are saying about the CO$ is true, backed up by the very actions of the church itself.

The internet is bigger than Co$, whatever they do now will only be a drop in the ocean.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:35 AM
link   
It's all a bit puzzling. Videos, rants etc railing against various religions and their leaders appear all over the web all the time. Sure it may upset the followers but they generally just have to grin and bear it. In the Scientologists case, they immediately threaten legal action and have stuff pulled.
Is this maybe something to do with the high rolling, high paying followers they have or maybe more influential backers receiving gifts / payoffs to watch their backs?

I remember seeing an article some time ago stating that several members of the Metropolitan Police had received / accepted gifts etc, from the Scientologists in return for dealing with anti-Scientology protestors.

All very interesting.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:52 AM
link   
I love the irony and hypocrisy of this line in the story:

Dr. Oliver Schaper, Scientologist and self-described advocate of the Church of Scientology's rights to free speech.

As long as the material wasn't illegal or untrue I don't see how they've a leg to stand on with this, although they'll probably get away with it.

People can believe what they want, whether it's space operas and volcano prisons; people have the right to believe what ever it is that gets them through the night. However, as with so many things, it's how that belief is eventually expressed that becomes a problem and to me, there's a hell of a lot of problems with how Scientology express their beliefs.

[edit on 1-10-2008 by Merriman Weir]

[edit on 1-10-2008 by Merriman Weir]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   
The CO$ would come after ATS if they had money. ^_^

Wonder how the big 3 would react if a legal threat was made by them?

top topics

join