It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Texas town ousts sex offender mayor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   

South Texas town ousts sex offender mayor

news.yahoo.com

POTEET, Texas - A city council in South Texas on Monday unanimously voted to remove a registered sex offender as mayor, hours after the man was released from jail on new child sex charges.
The Poteet City Council declared Mayor Lino Donato's position vacant because he has missed three consecutive council meetings, city attorney Frank Garza said. Council members installed the mayor pro-tem to act as mayor until a decision is made on how to replace Donato
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 30/9/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Ok, the guy gets busted on "New sex charges" and the people had to VOTE him out? Shouldn't being arrested for crimes against anyone in a sexual nature be automatic dismissal at least untill the trial is over? f for some reaon he is found innocent, by all means give him his job back.

Then again, this guy has already pleaded guilty, and had to register as a sex offender from an earlier case. Since he can't enter the city hall because he is a registered sex offender, he can't do his job and therefore should have been sacked a year ago when he pled guilty to indecent exposure to children.

Thoughts?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 30/9/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I say no to the kicking the guy out for an arrest. We are innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around, and to start taking messures before hand is heading in a direction that is not easily reversed.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ninthaxis
I say no to the kicking the guy out for an arrest. We are innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around, and to start taking messures before hand is heading in a direction that is not easily reversed.

He was a labelled sex offender coming up on NEW child sex charges.

What the hell was this guy doing in the position of town mayor when he already had been charged with exposing himself to children.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Finn1916

I didn't know a sex offender could become mayor in the first place. If they had no problem with it the first time, what suprises them this time? Maybe Iam missing something. Vote him out I say. It was long overdue.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ben420

I was referring to the OP's suggestion.

Shouldn't being arrested for crimes against anyone in a sexual nature be automatic dismissal at least untill the trial is over? f for some reaon he is found innocent, by all means give him his job back.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by schism85
reply to post by Finn1916

I didn't know a sex offender could become mayor in the first place. If they had no problem with it the first time, what suprises them this time? Maybe Iam missing something. Vote him out I say. It was long overdue.

He was mayor before he got busted for exposing himself and then became a registered sex offender.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
So why not kick him out the first time? That doesn't make sense.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Yes,
In my State - Florida if that isn't apparent enough, the Governor would throw out any city council member or any other civil official found guilty and sitting in any position after being registered as a sex offender.
After that, he would appoint an interim till a special election.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Dude you can hold any political office with a felony.
Doesnt matter.

join