It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is Senator Dodd Hiding About This Bailout?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
There has to be more to this than their concern for, as President Bush said, "economic hardship for millions of Americans." That has been happening for months. What do they know and by what right do they not share this information? Why are they choosing to focus on the "fix" and won't even consider naming the real source that was, according to Senator Dodd, preventable. Why would he not have known this information already given his role? Something is being hidden from the World and we have a right to know.

SEN. CHRISTOPHER DODD (D), CONNECTICUT: Well, I'm going to be reluctant to repeat exactly the words, not because I can't remember them, but, because, if you were to repeat them exactly, I'm fearful it might cause even more concern.

I can't begin to tell you. I have been here for 28 years, Wolf, been in a lot of very critical meetings involving a lot of important events over the last quarter-of-a-century. I can't recall another occasion when I was in a room where statements were made about the conditions of not only our economy, but the global economy, that caused every member in that room, the leadership of the House, the Senate, Republicans, Democrats, leaders of committees, that, when Chairman Bernanke finished his appraisal, a brief appraisal, along with Hank Paulson, there was dead silence in the room for maybe five to 10 seconds.

The oxygen went out of the room. People were stunned by what they heard. And I'm angry about this, because I think this was preventable, I will tell you, but we're not going to talk about that today, because the issue is, what do we do?

And I'm willing to step up and join with my Republican and Democratic colleagues, which we must do, 45 days before the most important national election in my lifetime, and come together, not as Republicans, Democrats, blue, red states, but as Americans responding to this. I'm willing to listen to this plan. I'm not buying into it without seeing it.

I want to make sure that we do this, that we're going to be mindful of the underlying cause of this problem, Wolf. And that is, of course, as was said last evening and again today by the secretary and the chairman of the Federal Reserve, the housing foreclosure crisis.

BLITZER: All right. DODD: So, we're going to deal with the effects of this, but we need to deal with the causes as well, so we don't have to come back again with some even larger plan down the road.

BLITZER: This is going to cost hundreds of billions of dollars, maybe even a trillion dollars. Who knows what it's going to cost.

Don't you think the American people have the right to know what you and your fellow members of Congress were told last night about the dire consequences of doing nothing?

DODD: Well, again, I'm telling you how dire it was without, without getting into the specific wording.

Let me also tell you this, Wolf. You know, I think America, I wish they, in a sense, could have been in the room, in many ways, not only to hear the dire consequences, but to also hear members of Congress, Republicans and Democrats, putting aside differences.

And whatever else was raised about the specifics of it, virtually every member in that room said they wanted to help, they wanted to be part of this. They realized too much was at stake not to work together.

CNN

The MSM continues to be the parrot of the players in this and is not reporting on the fact that Americans overwhelmingly do not support a bailout of Wall Street on any terms. Who are Senator Dodd and others protecting and why? Given where they are on this legislation - wouldn't it make sense that they would want us to be concerned?

[edit on 30-9-2008 by DancedWithWolves]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I am sure there was someone recording that entire meeting. Why is it that we cannot get and unredacted copy of that transcript? We have a right to know what Dodd and the others are hiding. What is it they are keeping from us.
Dodd says he can't remember the exact words. I wouldn't believe him if his tongue came notarized.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Are there recall possibilities for Senator Dodd?

Does anyone know the Connecticut recall rules?

Has a recall of Senator Dodd started?

I would be interested in the answers to any of these questions.

Thanks for any help provided.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
perhaps thier hiding things they don't want you to know like how much money they've taken from corporations like goldman sachs.It's not like Dodd is alone here.Both McCain and Obama have taken money from goldman,lehmann,etc,etc.Almost all the politicians have had thier fingers in the pie.At least all the corporate politicos have.Why do you think they voted this bailout in against the will of the people they claim to serve?

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

Thanks for the post - this issue, which had been raised previously (the infamous Peliosi office meeting and the solid minute of silence) needs to be raised again. I think there may have been a post here on ATS regarding this meeting a while back...regardless, it is the stuff for horror/sci-fi movies but unfortunately, it is not. All of this back and forth on the market in the last week is the last few heartbeats of what Wall St once was. Just as a side, they should let wall st fail, for many reason, imo.

ColoradoJens

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
As a former CT resident I'll say Dodd is a scumbag.

He pushed and pushed to get lenders to give loans to people who obviously couldnt afford them then he pushed and pushed to get those terrible loans insured. His own mansion of a house was bought with a "special" loan he got from on of the lenders he helped secure against all the terrible loans.

His father was responsible for getting the whole "disarm American citizens" thing going and then Dodd abandoned the state while he ran for the (D) nomination.

He's a terrible man and a terrible public servant. Remember when politicians used to be public servants? That was nice. Now they're "officials" and "authorities."

new topics

top topics

join