It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spain seeks stolen case with low-level radioactive material

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Spain seeks stolen case with low-level radioactive material

news.yahoo.com

MADRID (AFP) - Spain's nuclear safety agency issued an alert Monday after a case of equipment containing low-level radioactive material was stolen from a road works site, the second such incident this year.
The case was part of a kit for geologists to measure the density and humidity of the soil and it contains two sources of low-level radioactivity, the Nuclear Safety Council (CNS) said in a statement.
It was taken from a site in the town of Vilanova del Valles near the northeastern port city of Barcelona, it added.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I hope that this is not a repost: i've searched for it, but found nothing.
What makes it concerning, imho, is the following statement by Spain's nuclear safety agency:

The stolen equipment does not pose radiological risks as long as it is kept intact and closed since the radioactive sources are found inside, protected and encapsulated

I wonder "what if" in case it would be open, and i also wonder if who stolen it was aware of its content and, if yeas, what he/they have now in mind to do.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   
In the wrong hands this could be dangerous. Even low level radioactive materiel could be used in a weapon.
It also said this is the second time it has happened. I wonder if they ever found the first case?

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
In the wrong hands this could be dangerous. Even low level radioactive materiel could be used in a weapon.
It also said this is the second time it has happened. I wonder if they ever found the first case?

Hi, RedGolem: in according to the original article from AFP, it was found intact:

In April a similar case was stolen from a vehicle in an industrial zone in the town of Mostoles near Madrid. It was found intact several days later outside a school.

Hopefully, this time too it will end in the same way, unless the theft was premeditate ...

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I used to work on / calibrate these devices. Good luck to anyone lucky enough to break the source encapsulation open - even then there is not enough material to do anything useful / nasty with. It's just that it's "Radioactive" material and thus a good headline maker, invoking images of turbaned beardy people making dirty bombs.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Hi all

Do we know when it was stolen (sorry if I missed it but I couldn't see it when I scanned through) as this may be linked to the recent case concerning those pirates which captured a boat destined for Iran (if I remember correctly) of which it was reported several died or had serious injuries including hair falling out, skin burns and irritation etc.

I'll find the link to the original thread and post it.

Edit for link: www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 30-9-2008 by farther84]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
lol...

What if...

the so called boat that was high jacked and had ill effects on the pirates was actually containing a stolen item that was forced open by the pirates causing the so called ill effects on that pirates, reffering to yesterdays thread lol...

doh someone beat me too it lol

[edit on 30-9-2008 by Darthorious]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Darthorious

Sorry about that, but you know what they say.... great minds often think alike

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I wonder if this stolen case has anything to do with the chance that Operation Red Dragon in Chicago is a false flag?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

- mike

new topics

top topics

join