It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is our gas crisis being ignored?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
My husband owns a gas station in the southeast and he has no premium gas right now and hasn't had any diesel fuel for several weeks. We are getting delivery of regular gas and we pay for our gas when we receive it, so it isn't a credit issue at our store.

Yesterday a customer was so upset that we didn't have diesel that he drove away from the pump with the nozzle still in his tank which ripped it from the pump. Our clerk wasn't able to get the person's license tag number so now we must pay for the damages.

Also, today while driving by another gas station I saw two men arguing and shoving one another at the gas pumps. Apparently one of the men cut the other man off as he tried to get to the pump first. Things are getting ugly.

I have a quarter of a tank of premium gas left in my car and my husband told me it may be another week or more before he gets a shipment delivered. I'll have to pump regular (if we have any!) along with an octane additive if I run out before then.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Thank-you so much Seeker Mom for your post!
We all need to try and get attention on this. If you know anyone going thru what Seeker Mom has posted please have them also tell thier story here. If we all group together, maybe we will get more attention on this issue..

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I think you're right about what you said ^^ - Why are there no relief tankers coming in from other states?

Does anyone remember about 5 years ago when there was a hay shortage in the South Eastern US? The livestock around here was not getting fed because the hay crop failed badly. Trucks from Texas and all of the mid-West were here immediately and we were able to buy hay within 2 days. And, they kept it coming all winter long. This, by the way, was the year I sold off all my cattle and goats because the hay went so high in price I couldn't afford it anymore. It was high because they BROUGHT IT IN FROM OUT WEST.

Why don't they help us out. This is a severe crisis and only the local news is showing much about it.

I know to those of you who have gas it's not a big deal. But if you have a sick child who has to go to the ER and the ambulance doesn't have gas - that's a big deal. If your house is on fire and the Fire Dept. can't come - that's a big deal. If you get robbed at work and the police can't come - that's a big deal. If a loved one dies and you don't have gas to go to the funeral - that's a big deal. If you're out of milk and no gas in the car to go buy some - big deal.

You get my point. And to the guy who said get a bike and go to work, store that way - we live in the sticks. Literally 30 miles from work. A bike isn't realistic. Not to mention buying groceries on a bike, taking my child to school on a bike, etc.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by uplander

Uplander - to your point about getting robbed and the police not having gas to come - already there. I live in a condo subdivision. Yesterday 2 neighbors had their cars broken in and the police took almost a full day getting out to us because they had to wait in line for gas. The police are starting to restrict what they do right now because even they can't get gas.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Maybe this article will help those understand:
FROZEN CREDIT MARKETS

www.denverpost.com...

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
There is much wrong with this picture. All those States that are having shortages have coal mines. Oil can be derived from shale. Here is an article on shale oil .

[PDF] Is oil shale America's answer to peak-oil challenge?
shale.fossil.energy.gov/programs/reserves/publications/.../40010-373.pdf

[edit on 30-9-2008 by eradown]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
This person explains what happens when you have a CREDIT FREEZE.

Most consumers are not aware of the credit market status, particularly when its curial to our everyday lives: grocery shopping, car payments, business credits, etc. Should the Credit Market freeze; purchases made by credit cards become useless; and not accepted. Parents attempting to secure a Student Loan for the College bound child, are refused. Potential car shoppers are rejected if they can't pay in full with cash. Its imperative for Americans to study more on the subject matter.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
i'm in NC, and most gas stations in Burlington, Graham, Mebane, Efland, and some in Durham, are out of gas, and have been so for over a week now. only one gas station in my town has gas, and they only have 87-octane.

aside from the gas shortage, i've noticed that with "cheaper" gas stations, like Wal-Mart, Sheetz, Pilot, and all "mom-and-pop" gas stations, make my "engine malfunction indicator" light turn on. what are they adding, or omitting from our gas?!! Shell and Exxon (Illuminati gas stations) are more expensive, but seem to be some of the few stations that don't make my car, from 2004, show problems. before this gas "shortage" since the hurricanes, i've never had that light come on. and as for the error code that is indicated when i have it checked? it says it's related to fuel emissions, and that a new gas cap usually solves the problem. well a new gas cap won't make the light turn off, but buying more expensive gas will... sickening!

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Why do we build our gasoline refineries in an area that gets hit regularly by Hurricanes?

Seems silly to me...

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by CeltAngel
reply to post by uplander

The police are starting to restrict what they do right now because even they can't get gas.

That's bad news, in my city the city has a municipal station, I'm sure it's the same for yours and if both are having to get gas from the same places we do, it's real bad.

[edit on 30-9-2008 by beaverg]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
water, gas and food shortages in the south. yes, southerners are rebellious. the civil war was started in south carolina. forget ike. i believe we are being targeted and that is why the build up of military forces in the south.

The bill provides $6.5 billion in total military construction funding, $5.4 billion for active duty construction and $1.1 billion for the reserve components, as well as $3.99 billion for family housing construction and improvements which includes $1.98 billion for operation and maintenance for existing units. Also included is $5.4 billion for implementation of Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) which includes $5.2 billion for 2005 implementation and $191.2 million for prior BRAC rounds. Highlights for Georgia in the bill include:
isakson.senate.gov...

coincidence? i think not. www.abovetopsecret.com...

people are already heated because their jobs are at stake, food and water, their families are suffering.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MissysWorld

Most people have difficulty making the connection between the consequences of a "Central Bank fractional reserve lending" scheme which is what makes situations like this happen.

The business model imposed upon the community (and YES it is imposed) forces the situation. Why aren't your MAYORS storming the GOVERNOR'S Mansion and demanded a release of strategic reserves, and let the oil industry replenish it while they get their #%$% together?

Why hasn't your local media applied these stories to AP, and Reuter's? and other outlet's that would propagate it simply for the joy half the world would feel as we suffer?

Why aren't your elected representatives screaming at the top of their lungs in the house and senate?

Don't blame the community for not hearing something that is not being said.

By the way, the price of oil is dropping fairly significantly now, and the dollars strength is/was gaining a bit (until the FED starts diluting them.). So the 'economy' is not the REAL reason.... it's the manipulation of credit markets and inflation by the FED ... and no business wnats to lose money... they would rather not make more profit than actually lose money - hence, no gas for you.

Don't worry, I'm sure it'll be my turn soon. This gimmick to keep America in fear will continue, many of us will feel it.

[edit on 30-9-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

because of the "bush babies". sorry about the one liner. i talked to a friend who was in the gas business (going out) and he told me that our gas is pumped from tx. so, the media is saying that the refineries needed electricity to run. there is something wrong w/this senerio. he also said that to the best of his knowledge and belief all refineries have standby power.........he goes on to say asphalt is the byproduct of crude oil. if the asphalt cools in the pipe they might as well change the pipe because it would be difficult to get it up and running again.

[edit on 30-9-2008 by musselwhite]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissysWorld
This person explains what happens when you have a CREDIT FREEZE.

Most consumers are not aware of the credit market status, particularly when its curial to our everyday lives: grocery shopping, car payments, business credits, etc. Should the Credit Market freeze; purchases made by credit cards become useless; and not accepted. Parents attempting to secure a Student Loan for the College bound child, are refused. Potential car shoppers are rejected if they can't pay in full with cash. Its imperative for Americans to study more on the subject matter.

Has this happened to anyone yet? I have been hearing about this over the last few weeks, this is a potential nightmare.

Edit to add: I have heard reports of car lots not being able to sell their cars because the banks refused to loan money to the buyer WITH GREAT CREDIT.

[edit on 30-9-2008 by 38181]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Okay, I've done some research because on the surface, this theory sounds frighteningly possible.

And I'm not completely dismissing the possibility, but in the words of the Georgia Governor's office, it's entirely a supply issue.

According to a spokesperson, if there was a shortage due to credit issues, he's pretty sure they'd hear about it in daily conversations between Perdue's office and the state's big gas suppliers and retailers.

Plus, on the other front, Colonial Pipeline just announced it's back to full capacity and Plantation Pipeline is at 80%. Even so, our state officials are still warning that the gas crunch may linger since resupplying gas stations regularly will take time.

That being said, I have calls into the Atlanta Fed and a couple of big retailers to vet these rumors. I'll report as I hear more (also working on this for a local mag).

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
did anyone listen to coast to coast am on Sunday? they had a man by the name of Matthew Stein on who wrote a book about being self-sufficient when technology fails. He spoke a lot about the gas problem, and although I can't vouch for how accurate/truthful he is, he definitely mentioned how we have such a minuscule amount of reserve oil in the US, that when any of the refineries here are damaged it completely wipes out this tiny reserve. Once that happens, certain areas of the country will be without gas. He didn't mention any specific areas of the country that would be affected, but I'm thinking that because of the hurricanes, and because getting a damaged refinery up and running is such a slow/tedious process, it could really hurt areas that need gas.
He also said that if everyone in America filled up their tanks completely over the course of a day or two, we would have a major nation-wide gas crisis on our hands because almost no gas stations can handle that capacity. With gas prices as they are, the average American only puts about 5-8 gallons of gas in their car at a time (this is definitely the case with me although i have a very tiny car). I found this, if its true, to be rather alarming.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
reply to post by MissysWorld

Why aren't your MAYORS storming the GOVERNOR'S Mansion and demanded a release of strategic reserves, and let the oil industry replenish it while they get their #%$% together?

If I'm not mistaken it's the companies that apply for the release of the SPR rather than the mayor. The reserves have been released, but they are going to Venezuela owned Citgo instead.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I remember reading about shortages in the Southeast before Ike and Gustav. After first reading this thread a few hours ago I heard a speech on CNN and whoever the guy was said that we only had a twenty day reserve supply of fuel in reserve. My speculative thoughts are that this will be blamed on the time that is being taken on passing the bailout.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Screw the gas crises, what about the people affected by the hurricane? I've noticed next to no coverage on the status of relief efforts down there. Also, a friend of mine was down in Texas to help out with logistics efforts and said there is a massive bureaucracy of waste down there, and people living in horrible conditions. The gas crisis is a distraction, whether manufactured or not. They know we won't tolerate another Katrina like incident.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Thank-you all for keeping this thread alive with your stories, and your links. NO gas is a huge crisis, but I feel soon it will effect food shortages.
DONT panic, use your head, stock up on DRY goods.
Remember..this is OUR America.
Families need to stick together, and plan ahead.
God Bless...

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join