It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

american election

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
im in the UK and i dont know much about how the american political system works, anyway heres my question. can the election be cancelled or put on hold somehow if there is a national emergency? i read somewhere last year about bush trying to change things so he could stand for a third term, if so could the current financial crisis be considered emergency enough to keep him in office for longer?

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Yes the elections can be suspended. Please please please, if this happens, drum up support in the nations of the world to free the American people. We will thank you greatly.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by whoswatchinwho

Yes, the president has the authority to suspend the upcoming elections, and many think that there is a good possibility he will.

The executive order that grants him this power, I believe, is NSPD-51.

www.whitehouse.gov...

Some searching on the subject will yield some very interesting results, I recommend checking out some other threads.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 29-9-2008 by Traffic]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 05:32 AM
link   
thanks traffic, seems very interesting that this financial crisis is happening at such a crucial time in america. i think this next election could be a turning point in history, for good or bad, who knows.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by whoswatchinwho

A very good question. Many of us here at ATS have postulated that indeed Mr. Bush will invoke Martial Law or a State of Emergency just before the elections take place.

In effect, Bush could remain in power indefinitely whilst a reasonable threat or issue remained.

However, in light of a recent story where Bush's daughter (on daddy's behalf) has purchased 100,000 acres of land in Paraguay I now think he may do a runner to avoid arrest on war crimes. Only time will tell on this one.

new topics

top topics

join