It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Wax for Crossbow Strings?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Just a quick one.

What wax do people find best for keeping their crossbow strings in good condition.

Right now all I've got is candle wax but this, I feel, is hardly the best stuff.

Ideally a cheap and commercially available wax (UK based) would be great.

Thoughts and comments please.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
when i had one i just used bog standard candle wax. The string never broke, but if it does, it is extremly difficult to put a newone back on.

it took two people using leverage, and a large amount of brute strength to put it on.

[edit on 28-9-2008 by monkeybus]

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I used to use regular candle wax (paraffin) and never had a problem. I'm sure beeswax would do a fine job too

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by beezwaxes

do you sell beezwax? beezwaxes?

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
No I don't but, it's pretty easy to come by if you're looking for some. Makes the best candles as they burn clean, long and, a lot more uniformly than paraffin. Really come in handy when the lights go out and since this is the survival section, it has a lot of uses including a great fire starter when you pour a little in those little cardboard cups they serve catchup and the like in.

I got my handle by looking across the room at bw candle burning when choosing a name.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by beezwaxes

never had any thing with bees wax, is it edible?, i like the idea of an edible candle

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I use normal candle wax like the other guy.
Beeswax could be good but as I new its a bit smelly.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by WatchRider
Just a quick one.

What wax do people find best for keeping their crossbow strings in good condition.

Right now all I've got is candle wax but this, I feel, is hardly the best stuff.

Ideally a cheap and commercially available wax (UK based) would be great.

Thoughts and comments please.

I use Bohning archerys TEX-TITE Bowstring wax, I get it from Custom Built archery in Guisborough on 01623 871560
NR

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkeybus
when i had one i just used bog standard candle wax. The string never broke, but if it does, it is extremly difficult to put a newone back on.

it took two people using leverage, and a large amount of brute strength to put it on.

Cheers lads,

I think I'll stick with the candlewax now I've others ideas on this.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by monkeybus

I've never eaten any but, yeah it's edible. I'd go after the honey myself.

If you're ever really bored, google it up. Beeswax was a very important commodity before electricity.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Do you think Vo5 hair wax (its failrly solid stuff) would work?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Rather than use wax on the portion of the string that wears along the flight track of the crossbow, how about using heat-shrink tubing on that section as a sacrificial covering that wears away rather than the string braids?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Yep just a basic cheap candle works great.

Originally posted by monkeybus

Crossbows are Super easy to restring. If you make a stringer. Its just a new cable but a couple inches longer so it just slids on. Then you charge the crossbow and lock the stringer in place like you would the regular cable. Slide on the new string. Pull on the new string hard enough to loosen the stringer then pull it off.

[edit on 19-2-2009 by Darkice19]

top topics

join