It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Mirena" (Birth Control)=Pro-Marriage Agenda?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by raven bombshell
Not being ... monogamous does not mean a woman is a slut or sleeps around, either. You are the one who isn't making sense and needs some education.

Ok... whatever
You're right! not being monogamous does not mean that you don't have more than one sexual partner!

You should win the Nobel prize because you are smart.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I have a question for everyone. I'm not against birth control but think some of the side effects are way more dangerous than getting pregnant. That's not the question that I have but thought that I should mention it. I was watching tv and seen a couple of commercials for birth control and happened to be quite offended by the marketing tactics used. Is it just me or in these commercials when mentioning that they don't prevent hiv/stds do they always show WOMEN OF COLOR? I thought that maybe it was just my eyes but after seeing a few of them over and over like it's true. One commercial shows a black woman smiling when getting in a hot tub (as they mention hiv/stds). Another commercial shows someone other than causcasian chatting with her friends in a cafe or some sort (as they mention hiv/stds). It's like they get past all of the other information about their product with these smiling friendly faces(caucasians) and then when it gets to mentioning hiv/stds the commercial is fixated on women of color....is it just me?

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by logician magician

Originally posted by raven bombshell
Not being ... monogamous does not mean a woman is a slut or sleeps around, either. You are the one who isn't making sense and needs some education.

Ok... whatever
You're right! not being monogamous does not mean that you don't have more than one sexual partner!

You should win the Nobel prize because you are smart.

If someone isn't even dating she is neither married nor monogamous. If she has dated 2 different men at two different times in the past year because the relationships didn't work out she is not "sleeping around" either. It hardly matters- I was defending the statement Asmeone made about the having a warning on the package. You just want to play games with semantics and you are not contributing to the thread. You are not helping this thread or clarifying the information in any way. You came in here purely to create problems and insult people. I am willing to bet you are not female and have no interest in an IUD.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Having a warning on the package is not warranted, because you are given instruction by the doctor when you get it inserted. An IUD is not something that you buy over the counter and insert yourself. Demanding a "warning label" is just as silly as demanding a warning label on a heart stint. Medical professionals are legally obligated to explain the risks of the device, and will not leave it up to you to "decide" to read any warning labels. These things are given to you under professional guidance, and the "packaging" does not concern you, but concerns the doctor. You don't need to touch it (unless it is already inside), much less open it and render the device non-sterile.

The simple fact is that there is a fairly high risk (10%-15%) of IUDs coming out (and not realized) after insertion in women who have not had a baby yet - which is precisely why they are recommended for woman who have already given birth. They are also not recommended for women who have, or are expected to have more than ONE sexual parter because it increases the risk for STDs and can cause complications with the device, AND with the device inserted, may render the women permanently infertile if PID causes scarring of the fallopian tubes.

Next thing you know, someone will make a post demanding that all car commercials expressly state that driving a car can cause car wrecks!

Off topic content removed

• Please Stay on Topic
  • Courtesy Is Mandatory
  • Civility & Decorum are Expected

[edit on 19-11-2008 by dbates]

• posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 10:39 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
    I have a question for everyone. I'm not against birth control but think some of the side effects are way more dangerous than getting pregnant. That's not the question that I have but thought that I should mention it. I was watching tv and seen a couple of commercials for birth control and happened to be quite offended by the marketing tactics used. Is it just me or in these commercials when mentioning that they don't prevent hiv/stds do they always show WOMEN OF COLOR? I thought that maybe it was just my eyes but after seeing a few of them over and over like it's true. One commercial shows a black woman smiling when getting in a hot tub (as they mention hiv/stds). Another commercial shows someone other than causcasian chatting with her friends in a cafe or some sort (as they mention hiv/stds). It's like they get past all of the other information about their product with these smiling friendly faces(caucasians) and then when it gets to mentioning hiv/stds the commercial is fixated on women of color....is it just me?

I haven't seen this. The most common commercials I have seen for birth control or contraception have a mixture of ethnicities/races represented. You should note the brand or manufacturer and write them. I got really mad every time I saw that Honey Bunches of Oats commercial where the African American woman was the only one wearing the shower cap. I wrote Post (or Gm?) an email last year. I know I wasn't the only one because I saw a few commercials this year where they all were wearing the caps. Maybe it helps! Sorry- OT.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 02:43 PM
    link   
    The reason the commercial/material states this is because this product has special risks for those at risk to STD's. Not because it is pro-marriage...It doesn't say you have to "married", it just says you need to be in a stable, mutually monogamous relationship. This lowers the risks of STD's and therefore, lowers the risks of Mirena when STD's are a possibility....

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 12:47 PM
    link   
    reply to post by asmeone2

look harder at mirena's website. it plainly tells you PID is a risk with this type of birth control. having multple sex partners or having a partner who has multiple sex partners will increase this risk dramatically. There's your medical reason doc.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 01:56 PM
    link   
    My girlfriend recently had Mirena inserted. We talked about it and we are monogamous and we plan on getting married once i finish my schooling. She does not have any children. The reason why they recommend that you should have a child before you go on it is because your cervix is larger after you have children making the insertion less painfull and less of a shock for your body. They do not want you to have multiple partners because having an IUD increases your chances of getting infections, and if you have multiple partners that risk goes up exponentially if you have an IUD.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:38 AM
    link   
    just asking because my daughter wants to know..

How is your period affected by this IUD?

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:44 AM
    link   
    reply to post by asmeone2

Their just walking on eggshells around their own religious egos... and those around them.

No need to get the christians to start firebombing contraceptives. Not to much longer untill they start dropping like flies. Just play the game a little longer.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 01:57 PM
    link   
    reply to post by baddmove

You typically have irregular bleeding for about 3 months, but after that shouldn't have any, and some somen (about 30-40%, I believe) stop having periods all together with Mirena.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:38 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS. Is it just me or in these commercials when mentioning that they don't prevent hiv/stds do they always show WOMEN OF COLOR? I thought that maybe it was just my eyes but after seeing a few of them over and over like it's true. One commercial shows a black woman smiling when getting in a hot tub (as they mention hiv/stds)

Young black women are amoungst the highest rates new infectees for HIV. If they are being targeted with subtle forms of "dear god use something to stop yourself from getting infected" then I think I'm okay with that.
    edit on 2012/1/1 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:43 PM
    link   
    I'm more concerned about the fact that most women use the birth control pill without being told that it has an impact on your mate choices.

This isn't exactly a minor detail. I have no issue with people using hormonal birth control.

I would like people to consider what it means if you start using a form of birth control at 13 that impacts your ability to choose compatible mates. Essentially, you go from puberty to adulthood being attracted to men who are not your type. Then if you go off the stuff, you are probably married and trying to have children.

Suddenly the guy you are with is *not* your type, does not do it for you, and is too genetically similar too you. This minor detail might explain the seriously increased problems Caucasians are having with fertility. You aren't screwing the right people, and you really aren't all that attracted to your mate.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join