It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Strange Find

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I looked at the pictures.
And while im not accusing you of making a hoax.
The box looks kind of out of place like it was put there.
Doesn't look like it was buried there.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
It would be nice to think this is a spell box, time capsule, memorial but you can still not rule out the possibilty that this has a bad feeling to it. A Blue Glove with a lock of hair? In my opinion you should still go to the police with this just to rule it out. It could be the missing link to a case they are desperately trying to solve. I descided to have a quick look on google to see if there were any missing persons near where you say from your google image you discovered the box. There are many missing or murdered. But as it has already been mentioned about the box being in relatively good condition, the local news had a recent case:

www.kxan.com...

[edit on 27-9-2008 by MCoG1980]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Interestinggg

Yeah it is rather odd that the inside is filled with tons of fresh leaves, one would think you would open the lid without dumping a ton of leaves and dirt inside.

But if this is not a hoax, sounds like some sort of magic ritual to me. I doubt if it is anything dark (cause its in a nice box to protect hte items inside, and it is not a pseudo coffin buried in a cemetery). If that is the case I hope you reburied it, I would feel weird about digging up something like that too, that is a personal thing that should not be violated.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by MCoG1980 A Blue Glove with a lock of hair? In my opion you should still go to the police with this

You think a killer buried his trophies?

I would expect if these items belonged to a missing person or murder victim the item of clothing would NOT be a glove (especially a rather ugly glove) it would be something a lot more personal. Though a glove would be an easy item to snag off of someone without being noticed for use in a ritual.

[edit on 27-9-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
If you always go with the simplest answer, you will be right the most often.

Children bury boxes of items that would make little sense to an adult. Perfectly normal and common. A glove without a mate, a chain and other items would be the exact sort of thing you would expect in a child's time capsule. It may even contain the remains of a small pet that have deteriorated.

As to why it bothers you? You spooked yourself with your own imagination.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dock6
reply to post by atzmaz

Thanks for the info

Do you suspect there's a possibility that the 'feeling' you experienced may have been associated with the location itself ? The tops of hills sometimes have an unsettling atmosphere (several reasons for that). Maybe the location unsettled you and when you found the box, you believed it was responsible.

Or, perhaps the box reminded you of books or movies from your past, where buried relics in isolated locations were sinister ?

Whichever the case, it's wise to go with our instincts.

As to the box, it could be something .. or nothing. For example, as kids, we sometimes wrote notes and stained them in tea, or singed the edges to give them the appearance of 'age'. Sometimes we'd put them in an old box, along with bits and pieces, after which we'd hide them up a chimney, hoping they'd be discovered 'one day' and be regarded as genuine. All they did most likely was catch fire or cause smoke next time a fire was lit, but as kids we didn't consider practicalities like that.

Or, perhaps a family or group given to romantic mysteries held a picnic up on the hill. It sounds quite scenic. For all we know, they could have arranged a treasure-hunt type game, with a prize for whomever located the 'hidden relics'. It may have rained, or the 'treasure hunt' may have been forgotten entirely due to some other unexpected event (a swarm of bees, or an argument, for example) leaving the box to lie there until someone came along (you in this instance).

If you're still intriqued enough, you could take a recording device up there -- turn it on and ask if anyone's there to please speak -- then go back later to retrieve it.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dock6
reply to post by atzmaz

Thanks for the info

Do you suspect there's a possibility that the 'feeling' you experienced may have been associated with the location itself ? The tops of hills sometimes have an unsettling atmosphere (several reasons for that). Maybe the location unsettled you and when you found the box, you believed it was responsible.

Or, perhaps the box reminded you of books or movies from your past, where buried relics in isolated locations were sinister ?

Whichever the case, it's wise to go with our instincts.

As to the box, it could be something .. or nothing. For example, as kids, we sometimes wrote notes and stained them in tea, or singed the edges to give them the appearance of 'age'. Sometimes we'd put them in an old box, along with bits and pieces, after which we'd hide them up a chimney, hoping they'd be discovered 'one day' and be regarded as genuine. All they did most likely was catch fire or cause smoke next time a fire was lit, but as kids we didn't consider practicalities like that.

Or, perhaps a family or group given to romantic mysteries held a picnic up on the hill. It sounds quite scenic. For all we know, they could have arranged a treasure-hunt type game, with a prize for whomever located the 'hidden relics'. It may have rained, or the 'treasure hunt' may have been forgotten entirely due to some other unexpected event (a swarm of bees, or an argument, for example) leaving the box to lie there until someone came along (you in this instance).

If you're still intriqued enough, you could take a recording device up there -- turn it on and ask if anyone's there to please speak -- then go back later to retrieve it.

Thank you for your post.

To answer your questions:

I've never heard of the tops of hills thing before, but its really a beautiful location overlooking the lake, and hills which is why we go there. I will look into that more though.

I really like your suggestion about a recording device, I've got a digital recorder, camera, and video camera so that should give me some different sources. I'll need to read up on this as well to see exactly how this is done and the best way to get results. If you have any ideas to share I'd welcome them.

[edit on 27-9-2008 by atzmaz]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
the only problem with the geo-cacheing theory is that they tend to use military ammunition lock boxes from the ones ive seen. also usually people will leave their trinkets in a bag and sometimes their home address so the people who find them can write letters and the like.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Interestinggg
I looked at the pictures.
And while im not accusing you of making a hoax.

The bottom half was actually stuck in the original hole that it was put in. The top which was covered with dirt and only had the tiles showing was what initally caught my eye. I thought what are tiles doing in the floor out here on top of these cliffs, and with a strange scene on it... So I brushed off some more dirt and found that it was actually the top of a box. I flipped it open and the top fell off and the bottom stayed and was in bad condition with the exception of the glove, hair, and silver chain. I agree that it was put there, or buried there by someone, but definitely not by me.

Thanks for your reply

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdAstra
reply to post by atzmaz

In my opinion your feelings derive from the simple fact that you found yourself in the presence of something that was clearly of an intimate nature, and not intended for you. That's it. (And that's enough to arouse such feelings.)

As to how it found itself there... people do all kinds of things.
(And if they're very young, doubly so.
)
I remember burying a little "treasure" myself when I was a child.

Frankly I am a little surprised by the immediate "murder" thoughts.
It never crossed my mind. It doesn't mean that those who suspect a murder aren't right. I just think there are other, simpler and probably better explanations.

Unless you publicise your find - oh wait, you just did that
- you may never get an answer.

After I saw it later I did wonder if this was something related to a crime or the occult. Especially after watching shows like CSI everything has that bend, but thats why I wanted to open it up to some opinions here on this board. People defniitely have some great ideas and have me doing more research in some of the areas suggested.

I personally don't know one way or another what it is.... but I guess thats part of what makes it strange.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Obviously this part of my original reply got missed somehow (?) - so I’ll post it again.

As for the box.
If you have any strange *feelings* about it report it to the police.
Call them up, tell them where it is and forget about it.
To give it any more importance than that is to succumb to all the trappings of a dime store gothic novel.

Thank you for posting with pictures though!
It’s always great to *see* what people are posting about!
Welcome to ATS!

[edit on 27-9-2008 by silo13]

Good post, but I'm not just one to call the cops and say I found some box in the woods. Its not quite a crime although it is suspicious.

Glad I actually had some pictures to post, with my luck in life...most of the cool things I find I never seem to have a camera around to document it.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I really appreciate all of the posts, and want to thank everyone for their thoughts. This has been an interesting first post for me.

link   

Originally posted by MCoG1980
It would be nice to think this is a spell box, time capsule, memorial but you can still not rule out the possibilty that this has a bad feeling to it. A Blue Glove with a lock of hair? In my opinion you should still go to the police with this just to rule it out. It could be the missing link to a case they are desperately trying to solve. I descided to have a quick look on google to see if there were any missing persons near where you say from your google image you discovered the box. There are many missing or murdered. But as it has already been mentioned about the box being in relatively good condition, the local news had a recent case:

www.kxan.com...

[edit on 27-9-2008 by MCoG1980]

I think you bring up some great points and I tend to agree with you. I say at a minimum the box looked in condition to be about 3-4 years old. I'm guessing due to having buried a few aninmals in my back yard as a kid and accidently finding one many years later in my yard while installing a sprinkler head. I will look for something in the 2003-2004 time frame online and see if I find anything close. In Texas where I live the winters are very short so glove wearing weather is really limited and drastically reduces the times at which something like that may have occurred.

link   

Yeah it is rather odd that the inside is filled with tons of fresh leaves, one would think you would open the lid without dumping a ton of leaves and dirt inside.

But if this is not a hoax, sounds like some sort of magic ritual to me. I doubt if it is anything dark (cause its in a nice box to protect hte items inside, and it is not a pseudo coffin buried in a cemetery). If that is the case I hope you reburied it, I would feel weird about digging up something like that too, that is a personal thing that should not be violated.

The leaves fell in from the surrounding dirt when I opened the box. It was not intentional, and after they fell in, I really wasn't too keen on touching what I saw. The bottom was while and moldy, mildewy, and had bugs.

This is defintiely not a hoax, but I appreciate the skeptecism. I've never heard of a psudo coffin, what is that? The hair was really what gave me the willies. After seeing it, it reminded me of Santeria...but thats because I grew up on the border where those types of things were more part of the local culture. Before leaving I put the top back on the box as best I could and covered it back up with leaves and loose dirt around it. It pretty much looked the same as when I found it, and as it was getting dark I was pretty anxious to leave as the climb down is not fun without adequate light.

Thank you for your questions and theories

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610

Originally posted by MCoG1980 A Blue Glove with a lock of hair? In my opion you should still go to the police with this

You think a killer buried his trophies?

I would expect if these items belonged to a missing person or murder victim the item of clothing would NOT be a glove (especially a rather ugly glove) it would be something a lot more personal. Though a glove would be an easy item to snag off of someone without being noticed for use in a ritual.

[edit on 27-9-2008 by Sonya610]

I hope its not something this grim. I do agree with you that a glove would be something personal that would be easy to get from someone for a ritual.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
If you always go with the simplest answer, you will be right the most often.

Children bury boxes of items that would make little sense to an adult. Perfectly normal and common. A glove without a mate, a chain and other items would be the exact sort of thing you would expect in a child's time capsule. It may even contain the remains of a small pet that have deteriorated.

As to why it bothers you? You spooked yourself with your own imagination.

Occam's razor is definitely a great place to start. A time capsule, a family mourning a child, a magickal box, or a killer's stash. I guess the easiest answer would be for me at least...some parents mourning a child and left some belongings in a beautiful place.

I guess it was more the way I found it that spooked me, I was practically sitting on it near the edge of a cliff. It was getting dark and the contents of the box were a bit odd. But I guess my imagination is a great place to start, but it could also equally be intuition.

Thanks for your post

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by drsmooth23
the only problem with the geo-cacheing theory is that they tend to use military ammunition lock boxes from the ones ive seen. also usually people will leave their trinkets in a bag and sometimes their home address so the people who find them can write letters and the like.

Yeah I thought the same thing, but I've found all kinds of geocaches in various containers. Everything from plastic containers, film containers, bags, and metal boxes. This wasn't one, at least from all the sites and coordinates I checked online, but I could have missed it. I think my google maps post contains coordinates if anyone is interested.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I'm not saying that this is a box froma crime scene but it does not hurt to get it ruled out - no it isn't suspicious to notice something you come across on a walk so there is no reason to be worried. Hair contains DNA. If it matches someone they are looking for you then you helped. If it doesn't you can be even closer to your other theories.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I'm not saying that this is a box froma crime scene but it does not hurt to get it ruled out - no it isn't suspicious to notice something you come across on a walk so there is no reason to be worried. Hair contains DNA. If it matches someone they are looking for you then you helped. If it doesn't you can be even closer to your other theories.

Thats a great idea, hair=DNA. I'm not worried but it has been one of these things that you encounter and then think to yourself, what in the heck was that...

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Hair contains DNA. If it matches someone they are looking for you then you helped.

Hair pulled out with the ROOT attached contains dna. Hair that was cut contains little or none (the hair shaft is dead, and the dna degrades quickly). They can tell some things from the hair shaft (like race) but its not like dna from blood or semen that can be put in a database and matched.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join