It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inventor of microwave warp engine told to drop it

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Inventor of microwave warp engine told to drop it

technology.newscientist.com

Relativity drive: The end of wings and wheels?

* 08 September 2006
* Exclusive from New Scientist Print Edition. Subscribe and get 4 free issues
* Justin Mullins

Printable versionEmail to a friendRSS FeedSyndicate

Web Links

* Shawyer's theory paper (pdf)

The electromagnetic drive
Enlarge image
The electromagnetic drive
Look, no wings!
Enlarge image
Look, no wings!

Note: You can read debates on the article and make comments here, and read Shawyer’s theory paper here (pdf format).

The trip from London to Havant on the south coast of England is like travelling through time. I sit in an air-conditioned train, on tracks first laid 150 years ago, passing roads that were known to the Romans. At one point, I pick out a canal boat, queues of cars and the trail from a high-flying jet - the evolution of mechanised travel in a single glance.

But evolution has a habit of springing surprises. Waiting at my destination is a man who would put an end to mechanised travel. Roger Shawyer has developed an engine with no moving parts that he believes can replace rockets and make trains, planes and automobiles obsolete. "The end of wings and wheels" is how he puts it. It's a bold claim. (Too bold? See the later feedback here and here)

Of course, any crackpot can rough out plans for a warp drive. What they never show you is evidence that it works. Shawyer is different. He has built a working prototype to test his ideas, and as a respected spacecraft engineer he has persuaded the British government to fund his work. Now organisations from other parts of the world, including the US air force and the Chinese government, are beating a path to his tiny company.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.newscientist.com

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Roger Shawyer, the inventor of a microwave warp engine with no moving parts, says that he was told to abandon his invention. I wonder why; perhaps it has already been invented?

Basically this invention relates to a device that alters space with opposing electro-magnetic fields of unequal power densities that causes a distortion in the fabric of space in the vicinity of the vehicle allowing it to 'fall' through between the two fields, hence the propulsion.

The link to the pdf below is to his theory paper.

www.newscientist.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 26-9-2008 by masonwatcher]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by masonwatcher

Why abandon it? Was he threatened?

I guess we're going to have to rely on the Chinese push our species forward.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

top topics

join