It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tropical Storm Kyle Forms in the Atlantic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Tropical Storm Kyle has formed north of the Dominican Republic, and Puerto Rico. The 5 day track takes Kyle up to New England, possibly affecting the coast as a Hurricane.

REPORTS FROM AN AIR FORCE RESERVE HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT AND
SATELLITE IMAGES INDICATE THAT THE LOW PRESSURE AREA THAT MOVED
NORTHWARD FROM HISPANIOLA HAS DEVELOPED INTO A TROPICAL STORM.

KYLE IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTH NEAR 8 MPH...13 KM/HR...AND THIS
GENERAL MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 45 MPH...75 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. SOME STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT COUPLE OF
DAYS.

Latest tracks on Kyle, and statements are on the NHC Website:
www.nhc.noaa.gov...

[Edit to add]
Kyle is expected to become a category 1 hurricane, not to terribly bad, but...any hurricane is bad. It's track doesn't really support it become terribly strong, taking in motion and water temperature.

[edit on 25.9.2008 by Shugo]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Ya It seems now the storms are slowly veering more towards the Canadian maritime provinces, this might be the beginning of a new climate pattern, might see some more slamming canada soon...

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Oh, my, this one looks like its headed right my way (before it makes it to Canada)....

I'm sitting in the Cape of Massachusetts...the closest point to England, and just above New York.

It should be here as a category 1. I guess it could be a lot worse. Its already blowing out there and theres lots of rain.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Don't forget, you guys are dealing with another low pressure center right now that's already causing a lot of problems, flooding is going to be quite bad up there I would guesstimate.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Kyle was just upgraded to hurricane status at the 5pm update. Landfall is currently forecast right around the northern Maine border late Sunday.

He's going to be entering some very cold waters today, so it's expected that he'll lose strength and affect Maine and Nova Scotia as a tropical storm before becoming extratropical.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Hm, ever since I heard about the storms from the beginning of the last century, I've been wondering when they'd start veering towards the north again. Hope one doesn't hit New York this time, city like... Yeesh. Probably won't loose just an island.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
It is quite cool, there are Tropical Storm Warnings, they've decided not to go with Hurricane Warnings atm. I wouldn't expect Kyle to be a "dime a dozen" like his brother Ike.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Kyle is supposed to have a direct hit here. We are just finished cleaning up from the rain that Hanna and Ike dropped here and now, today we get about 40mm of rain from the previous mentioned low. Tomorrow and Monday, we get Kyle, with accumulations of over a 100mm of rain expected. Toss in the TS force winds and it should get pretty messy.

Oh well, it isn't the first one I have been in and I'm sure that it won't be the last. I'm prepared, one way or the other.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Hey did you guys know Taiwan is bracing itself for it 4th typhoon at the moment?
news.ninemsn.com.au...

Didn't think so....

[edit on 27-9-2008 by Chadwickus]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

looks like I'll be on the other side of that storm. It's will be impossible to sleep Sunday night I imagine. I hope all the leaves don't blow down.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
Hey did you guys know Taiwan is bracing itself for it 4th typhoon at the moment?
news.ninemsn.com.au...

Didn't think so....

[edit on 27-9-2008 by Chadwickus]

That's a ridiculous assumption. I've been watching that for days now as I watch them all season long. I also pay attention to earthquakes and their effects around the world. Have fun with the superiority complex.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

No superiority complex here, It's just all too common that people don't seem to care about anything outside their own little world.

Glad there's others who are aware of things like this.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I was aware that Jangmi was headed for Taiwan but the fact that a hurricane/tropical storm is headed straight for me takes precedent.

I check most meteorological sites that produce warnings about severe weather. I think it's awful that Taiwan is going to get hit again, especially by such a powerful storm. If I still have power tomorrow and there isn't any damage to my home, I be sure to check on the reports from Asia.

I'll think you'll find most of the people who are regular contributors to the fragile earth forum are aware of the different calamities that people must face, weatherwise, around the world.

Your statement was ignorant, assuming what we don't care about is a bit to presumptuous, wouldn't you say.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by GAOTU789
I was aware that Jangmi was headed for Taiwan but the fact that a hurricane/tropical storm is headed straight for me takes precedent.

I check most meteorological sites that produce warnings about severe weather. I think it's awful that Taiwan is going to get hit again, especially by such a powerful storm. If I still have power tomorrow and there isn't any damage to my home, I be sure to check on the reports from Asia.

I'll think you'll find most of the people who are regular contributors to the fragile earth forum are aware of the different calamities that people must face, weatherwise, around the world.

Your statement was ignorant, assuming what we don't care about is a bit to presumptuous, wouldn't you say.

The statement could be deemed as a low blow, yes but the overall message I was attempting to say is it is ignorant to forget about the typhoon Jangmi because it won't effect the majority of members on this board.

top topics

join