It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hydrogen powered/water powered

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2003 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I don't want to make energy from nothing, I am talking about hydrogen as a fuel source. If the imput and out put are the same you could have an unlimited fuel.

posted on Jan, 29 2003 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Joe, it doesn't work.

The input isn't the same as the output. You don't have a closed system perpetual motion device there. If you look back up at what FM posted, you'll see that it takes 44 units of energy MORE to split water into hydrogen and oxygen.

So for every 10 units of energy you get out of burning hydrogen, you have to spend 440 units to break apart the resulting water back into hydrogen and oxygen.

[Edited on 29-1-2003 by Byrd]

posted on Jan, 29 2003 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Well, Bush said he was going to do it anyway, so I'm all for him. (it would be more eco/ergonomic that way)

posted on Jan, 29 2003 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Bush is also the one who thinks we can solve deficit and budget problems by giving everyone tax cuts.

He don't understand it, either.

posted on Jan, 29 2003 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

The input isn't the same as the output. You don't have a closed system perpetual motion device there. If you look back up at what FM posted, you'll see that it takes 44 units of energy MORE to split water into hydrogen and oxygen.

So for every 10 units of energy you get out of burning hydrogen, you have to spend 440 units to break apart the resulting water back into hydrogen and oxygen.

[Edited on 29-1-2003 by Byrd]

Byrd, do you mean only electrolysis or all the other methods to create hydrogen???

posted on Jan, 29 2003 @ 02:56 PM
link   
"Our third goal is to promote energy independence for our country, while dramatically improving the environment. I have sent you a comprehensive energy plan to promote energy efficiency and conservation, to develop cleaner technology, and to produce more energy at home.

I have sent you clear skies legislation that mandates a 70 percent cut in air pollution from power plants over the next 15 years. I have sent you a healthy forest initiative to help prevent the catastrophic fires that devastate communities, kill wildlife and burn away millions of acres of treasured forests. I urge you to pass these measures for the good of both our environment and our economy. Even more, I ask you to take a crucial step and protect our environment in ways that generations before us could not have imagined.

In this century, the greatest environmental progress will come about not through endless lawsuits or command-and-control regulations, but through technology and innovation. Tonight I'm proposing $1.2 billion in research funding so that America can lead the world in developing clean, hydrogen-powered automobiles. A simple chemical reaction between hydrogen and oxygen generates energy, which can be used to power a car, producing only water, not exhaust fumes.

With a new national commitment, our scientists and engineers will overcome obstacles to taking these cars from laboratory to showroom, so that the first car driven by a child born today could be powered by hydrogen, and pollution-free. Join me in this important innovation to make our air significantly cleaner, and our country much less dependent on foreign sources of energy."

-- President Bush last night...

posted on Jan, 29 2003 @ 03:33 PM
link   
For Bush's lack of environmental concern, this is a homerun for him. I'm still "VERY" unsure of his real intentions... being a former "OIL MAN" himself, but I know he is trying to get other major sources of energy out there. Maybe the government is finally getting concerned about running out of oil and possibly setting Iraq ablaze.

If we get some smart scientists to work on this, it probably won't take too long to find an effecient way to make this happen. I'm rooting for it.

posted on Jan, 29 2003 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Even if electrolysis is imperfect � the real trick is with the stoichiometric mixture of hydrogen and oxygen - another state of water besides ice, water or steam � Brown�s Gas.

In that each material, such as soil, rocks, metals or liquids have a different atomic makeup, each material will burn, liquefy or sublimate (turn into a gas form) at its own respective temperature. In each case, when Brown's Gas is administered to a material, the temperature of the Brown's Gas changes. To date, the capability to define the high end temperature of generated by the gas has not been possible due to the lack of appropriate testing equipment.

The flame produced from this gas is capable of drilling holes in high-temperature refractory products in seconds. It turns brick to glass.

To illustrate the temperature range, it is possible, using the same gas flame pressure (with no change in flow rate) to both (1) successfully weld aluminum sheet without a gas envelope at 660 degrees C. and (2) sublimate (vaporize) tungsten at approximately 6,000 degrees C. Again, this is accomplished in seconds with the same flame with no increase in volume

More...

<< 1   >>

join