It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Time is of your own making..."

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I agree with the premise.

I like ot figure out "why" things are what they are, and one of my projects a few years ago was "Why does time seem to speed up for older people?"

The conclusion I came to was the same. (Or similar in case I have misunderstood the conclusion in the OP)

Children do not have many memories. They have not yet formed them, nor does their minds record in accessible fashion their earliest experiences. They also, because of the lack of memories to draw from, lack the ability to project scenarios into the future. Time, for little children, is about being in the moment most of the time. They actually inhabit the moment they are in, and so time seems more substantial to them.

Adults have lots of memories. Not only do they spend a lot of their present moments ruminating about their past moments, they also use these past moments to project future scenarios for themselves as well. They spend most of their consciousness OUT of the actual moment, and most of it in the future and past. So their present moments seem few. Not that they are allotted less, but they choose to flee the present most of the time and thus waste them.

The more of ones consciousness is in the present, the longer that moment feels to us. Such as in an accident when time seems to slow down so much that a minute feels like an hour, or when clock watching, or waiting in a line where one is very aware of the present and what they are doing NOW. (usually because of unhappiness with "now")

I dont think many realize that the joyful moments can be expanded this way also, by bringing our consciousness to bear on the moment, rather than immediately moving to the future by wishing it could last forever.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by atzmaz

You actually MAKE time?
(I do hope you didn't mean DO time?
)

Please, elaborate!

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   

I dont think many realize that the joyful moments can be expanded this way also, by bringing our consciousness to bear on the moment, rather than immediately moving to the future by wishing it could last forever.

I do.
Through no merit of mine, I do have that capacity. And I am very grateful for that.

I am also very happy to see it "validated" through this observation of yours.

It is a precious observation, and I hope many will take notice.

I'll be back.

Thank you again!

new topics

<< 1   >>

join