It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Votes to End Mexican Truck Program (NAFTA)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I would have to agree with most of the responses here. It's about time these people did something we the people want.

I have never been a big supporter of "free trade" as I don't believe that it serves the Americans' best interests. I do support "fair trade" though.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

It won't pass in Congress.. even if it does Bush is capable if making an executive order... They have spent too much time and effort on making this come true..

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I don't know - this seems like one of those truth/fiction things to manipulate public thinking.

This has nothing to do with the Truck program in question - - but Mexican trucks are allowed to enter the US for up to 35 miles - without passing US equipment inspection. To go further then that they must meet US standards.

Warehouses are being built on both the Mexican and US side of our southern border. Imports are flown into Mexico and stored - because it is cheaper. The Mexican trucks then transport goods to a transfer station on the US side. Those trucks then deliver the goods.

The only thing I can see - is they're trying to pass up the middle man.

There are two truck highways I know that are being built from Mexico to Canada/Alaska. One out of Texas and one out of Arizona.

With the cost of fuel - transporting by plane has become even more inhibited then by truck. Plus planes are larger and require longer runways. San Diego CA built up around its airport completely blocking it in - preventing expansion. Product for San Diego has to be transported in from satellite warehouses.

Some roads do not allow multiple trailers. A truck route designated specifically for transporting good - - could pull several trailers - - reducing cost.

I'm seeing practical foresight - - not conspiracies.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
The only thing that I have seen since the Mexican truck traffic has increased is the number of tires that disintegrate and end up tearing up the plastic cladding off of cars. I couldn't avoid one and it did over two thousand dollars worth of damage to my little econobox. If trucks from the U.S. can pick up and deliver on both sides of the border and benefit from the lower Mexican fuel cost it would be good for both sides.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
This has nothing to do with the Truck program in question - - but Mexican trucks are allowed to enter the US for up to 35 miles - without passing US equipment inspection. To go further then that they must meet US standards.

They were SUPPOSE to meet US standards!

Bush's Mexico-Domiciled Trucks Plan Flunks Safety Rules

New Report: Continuing Failure to Protect the Public

The report released today, however, identified every provision of law that FMCSA has failed to comply with, including:
*****SKIP*****
# failure to comply with the requirements of §350 of the FY2002 DOT Appropriations Act on the safety of cross-border trucking;
# failure to comply with requirements of the pilot program law to test innovative approaches and alternative regulations under 49 USC §31315(c);
# failure of FMCSA to keep its promise to check every truck every time for compliance; and
# failure to establish criteria that are subject to monitoring during the pilot program.

And Americans don't want this anyway! Why shove it down our throats!

The report was released alongside a new poll conducted by the nonpartisan Lake Research Partners, which found:

* A majority of Americans (56 percent) believe the Bush administration’s plan to allow Mexico-domiciled trucks to travel outside the current commercial zone and throughout the United States is dangerous.

Unsafe Mexican Trucks Roll On

Mexican trucks are rolling, rolling, rolling, and apparently, notwithstanding overwhelming congressional and public opinion disapproval, no one can do "jack" to stop them.

The litany of specific significant issues is awe-inspiring and cavalierly ignored by the haughty administration.

# No one knows or can confirm if drivers are even properly licensed

# No one know if drivers are sober or rested with the legally required amount of down time

# Do they speak English? Can they read U.S. road signs?

# What is the cargo they carry? Terrorists, illegal immigrants, drugs, or weapons of mass destruction?

# Will banned pollution foul the air?

# Are American truckers in danger of losing jobs to lower-paid Mexican drivers?

# What about the loss of tax revenue which supports the U.S. highway infrastructure?
*****SKIP*****

There is no way/no how that U.S. trucking regulations will be enforced in Mexico.

# Mexican drivers are supposed have to be drug-tested. However, there are no certified alcohol/drug testing facilities in Mexico.

# There is no national criminal database in Mexico.

# Corruption is epidemic.

*****SKIP*****

An average US trucker pays over $16,000 in highway user fees. Mexicans trucks won’t be paying spit. Thousands of trucks at some 400 gallons per truck will contribute significantly to lost highway maintenance tax money.

Sorry, but this program needs to end!

Americans don't want it!

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
The commercial zones being talked about are the nose under the tent for American trucking. Acording to The AmericanTrucking Assoc 2-5000 trucks a month are being parked or returned to finance companies because of the cost of doing business. Taxes, fuel and equipment and the gross amount of time involved in trucking by drivers for LESS than minimum wage when all hours and expenses are taken into consideration are the causes. This country wil shut down if this trend continues. Your already seeing prices for staples needed for food stores and import goods, which we all know come from other jobs lost here in America! Weare in more trouble than most people know with trucking. We need trucks. The rest of our economy is useless without them!

Zindo

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

There are two truck highways I know that are being built from Mexico to Canada/Alaska. One out of Texas and one out of Arizona.

Dunno about AZ, but the last word I heard from texas is they are not going ahead with the eminent domain requirements to get the land for it. Public pressure. And OK (the next state up) has specifically passed a resolution stating it is not to be built.

Some roads do not allow multiple trailers. A truck route designated specifically for transporting good - - could pull several trailers - - reducing cost.

Ever driven behind one of those multiple trailer rigs? We call them 'wiggle-wagons' for a reason. In a double, the back trailer wiggles back and forth. In a triple, the rear trailer shakes like a leaf in the wind. The more trailers, the more danger to both the truck/driver and the people in four-wheelers around it.

OOIDA is fighting a law in several states right now to raise the maximum gross weight from 80,000 lbs to 97,000 lbs. They have plenty of documentation on the dangers associated with that 17,000 lb increase alone.

www.landlinemag.com...

Yeah, it's all about planning for the future... retirement opensions for trucking companies and politicians.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

That extra weight plus the 102x53 ft trailer is going to be a whole new ball game. Tires and wheels and brakes are at they're ragged edge now. Another 17,000 lbs are going to kill people. No doubt about it. Adding axles will make it almost impossible to manuver in the cities. Then tghey wonder why the driver turnover is so high. Complete morons!!!!

Zindo

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Finally, Congress has seen fit to do something right. Now if we can just get this whole NAFTA thing repealed! But don't blame Bush for this one. Place the Blame squarely where it belongs. RIght on the back of Bill Clinton. He was the one who was responsible for signing that one into lwaw.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
The commercial zones being talked about are the nose under the tent for American trucking. Acording to The AmericanTrucking Assoc 2-5000 trucks a month are being parked or returned to finance companies because of the cost of doing business. Taxes, fuel and equipment and the gross amount of time involved in trucking by drivers for LESS than minimum wage when all hours and expenses are taken into consideration are the causes. This country wil shut down if this trend continues. Your already seeing prices for staples needed for food stores and import goods, which we all know come from other jobs lost here in America! Weare in more trouble than most people know with trucking. We need trucks. The rest of our economy is useless without them!

Zindo

Thanks I knew those with more knowledge then me could add to my simplistic statements.

I live near the Mexican/Arizona border port location that is involved. We get information about this all the time in our local newspaper.

As far as I know Mexican trucks can enter up to 35 miles without the strict specifications of American trucks in this program. Maybe there are lesser specifications - I'm not positive.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Hope I didn't sound like I was picking on you. All things being equal, your opinions on the area you live in are correct. What happens next will tell the tale!

Zindo

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
The only reason it passed was to make people think congress was doing something that the people wanted done,right before the elect. Its all a part of the dog & pony show. When are you people going to WAKE UP !!!!!!.
THERE ARE NOT TWO PARTYS. There playing you people for the fools you are. They Knew that bush would veto it. Thats the only reason it passed!!!!

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   

reply to post by TheRedneck

That extra weight plus the 102x53 ft trailer is going to be a whole new ball game. Tires and wheels and brakes are at they're ragged edge now. Another 17,000 lbs are going to kill people. No doubt about it. Adding axles will make it almost impossible to manuver in the cities. Then tghey wonder why the driver turnover is so high. Complete morons!!!!

Zindo

There are transfer stations outside of the city - where multiple trailers have to switch to whatever is legal for that city.

I worked on a shipping dock in Gardena - Los Angeles County - - long time ago - about 25 years. The new laws they enacted back then hurt truckers. It has only gotten worse for the drivers.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Thank the gods, hopefully it passes the Senate.

-Euclid

Originally posted by Keyhole

House Votes to End Mexican Truck Program (NAFTA)

www.reuters.com

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. House of Representatives defied a White House veto threat on Tuesday by voting to end a controversial pilot program that gives long-haul commercial trucks from Mexico full access to U.S. highways.

The bill, approved 395-18, would reverse a decision by the Transportation Department to continue the program, which was begun last year under NAFTA, the North American Free Trade Agreement.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.mexidata.info
www.todaystrucking.com
www.signonsandiego.com
ap.google.com

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paul3
The only reason it passed was to make people think congress was doing something that the people wanted done,right before the elect. Its all a part of the dog & pony show. When are you people going to WAKE UP !!!!!!.
THERE ARE NOT TWO PARTYS. There playing you people for the fools you are. They Knew that bush would veto it. Thats the only reason it passed!!!!

Oh good - - someone who thinks like me.

Exactly as I see it - a manipulation move to make people think they won something.

I doubt in the long run it will be stopped.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Apparently only 155 truckers from Mexico were participating in the program that gave Mexican truckers full access in the USA.

Not a big deal in my book, not like 155 less trucks on the road are going to upset the "chain of supply".

[edit on 9/10/2008 by Keyhole]

Depends what whas in the trucks, it could be CIA's drugs, Gold bars, Stolen money, Blood. It may have been put into force as a way, of secretly supplying the bush administration with something.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Hope I didn't sound like I was picking on you. All things being equal, your opinions on the area you live in are correct. What happens next will tell the tale!

Zindo

Oh no! I'm a tough old broad. In previous political forums they used to accuse me of being a truck driver and riding a hog.

LOL - I actually look more like a New York Professional.

Not to worry.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkeybus

Apparently only 155 truckers from Mexico were participating in the program that gave Mexican truckers full access in the USA.

Not a big deal in my book, not like 155 less trucks on the road are going to upset the "chain of supply".

[edit on 9/10/2008 by Keyhole]

Depends what whas in the trucks, it could be CIA's drugs, Gold bars, Stolen money, Blood. It may have been put into force as a way, of secretly supplying the bush administration with something.

Did you know they have drive in scanners at the border for semi's?

They scan the entire truck and what ever is in it. I know someone who ran it. He said it was really incredible - - but he wouldn't give me details.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

The cops now have the scanner technology in handheld form to peek into a home and see everything. A cop told me about it after he was trained to deploy and use the technology. I asked if he can see everything in a house and he said yes, everything. It was unbelievable as he put it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join