It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why has Obama lost his lead?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

How can you so easily desert her for effort to support the political viewpoint she holds true. I respect her more for that, not less, and you are the one with suspect credibility in my opinion.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Attempting to pick Hillary would doom any chance he has. It is intersting though that he chose Biden considering earlier this year Biden stated he didn't want to be VP and has been in 'old washington' for 30 years (not much change there, IMO).

Could all this be a Clinton set-up? If McCain is elected he would mostly likely be a one timer......could the 2012 election be Palin vs Hillary??? Is Hillary overtly working against Obama to set herself up for the next election? If McCain/Palin are elected and it is a disasterious Presidency, Hillary would be looking good in 2012..........

(though frankly I've had enough Clintons & Bushs over the past 20 years)

[edit on 9-9-2008 by ferretman2]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TH3ON3

1) The inevitable post-convention bounce. The RNC came after the DNC (closely, by design), hence the RNC bounce is overshadowing the DNC bounce.

2) Americans are 'conditioned' (for lack of a better term) to respond to loads of symbolism with little substance. Just watch any television advertisement to see tons of examples of this at work. And the Republican Party is very very good at exploiting symbolism. In my opinion, also without much substance behind it. But it sells.

3) The ums and ahs may be a factor. They don't bother me personally, as I believe it indicates he is thinking about his answer rather than spewing sound bites as so many politicos tend to do. I substantially prefer the ums and ahs, and to wait for what is very frequently a well thought out answer that really addresses the question over the quick but essentially meaningless sound bites.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ferretman2
Attempting to pick Hillary would doom any chance he has.

Are you kidding?

Picking Hillary would have given Obama Pennsylvania and probably Ohio easily. Without both he's going to have a hard time winning.

It also would have put Florida in serious play, and most likely made Michigan a lock. Now Florida is a long shot, and Michigan is in play for McCain/Palin.

There's only about 10 states that are up for grabs, the rest are solid blue and red. Hillary would have given Obama a HUGE advantage in most of the states in play.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Open_Minded Skeptic

Well good speech is definitely a factor we are judged on by the intelligent community. So he would be better served to just take a few seconds of silence to gather his thoughts I think.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
OMS got to it before I did.

But remember after the DNC, Obama hit 50% in the polls for the first time. With the RNC and the announcement of Sarah Palin for VP, the GOP got their bounce.

OMS makes a great point about symbolism. Seeing a woman up there symbolizes how far women have come (which is a great thing), but what will come out in the days to come is the substance BEHIND the symbolism.

And remember... they call it "bounce" for a reason. It goes up and down.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Open_Minded Skeptic
reply to post by TH3ON3

1) The inevitable post-convention bounce. The RNC came after the DNC (closely, by design), hence the RNC bounce is overshadowing the DNC bounce.

2) Americans are 'conditioned' (for lack of a better term) to respond to loads of symbolism with little substance. Just watch any television advertisement to see tons of examples of this at work. And the Republican Party is very very good at exploiting symbolism. In my opinion, also without much substance behind it. But it sells.

3) The ums and ahs may be a factor. They don't bother me personally, as I believe it indicates he is thinking about his answer rather than spewing sound bites as so many politicos tend to do. I substantially prefer the ums and ahs, and to wait for what is very frequently a well thought out answer that really addresses the question over the quick but essentially meaningless sound bites.

I agree with you on the majority of your posts OMS, except for the last part. The Ums and errs bother me. I used to be a counselor, and to me and most of the counselors I worked with, it was almost a sure sign of someone lying. An honest man doesn't have to ruminate very long on an answer unless he attempting to hide something.

McCain isn't George Washington by any means, but I think he's honest most of the time, and will say "I don't know", if he doesn't know..

It really makes him look bad too, but he a plain spoken person I think at heart, and really don't care if you like what he has to say or not.

[edit on 9-9-2008 by LLoyd45]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Barack Hussien Obama lost his lead because people are starting to learn more about him. You can only hear the words HOPE, CHANGE, and FUTURE so many times before people actually start thinking about what these words mean. These words coming from BHO mean absolutely nothing, and people are realizing it.

People are also starting to realize that a background of community organizing isn't too impressive, neither is serving a few months as Senator then immediately announcing intentions on running for President.

If we put all of BHO's problems aside, the ultimate reason for his demise is Sarah Palin. Kind of sad that the opposition's VP would make a better President than he would.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

I was referring to dropping Biden now and choosing Hillary.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Obama attack strategy follows.

Round Two: "Run against the Machine."

Blame the republicans in congress (!) for the mess the "democrat majority" has been left to clean up.

"They gutted the housing market, and left it for the democrats,
and for the american people, to clean up.

They killed off the Clinton-era budget surplus, and left it for the democrats,
and the american people, to clean up.

They invaded a nation that never even threatened us, and then left it for the democrats,

They padded profits for big oilers like Bush and Cheney, and McCain, and then left it for the democrats
and the American people to clean up.

They put the insurance companies in charge of health care, and left it for the democrats,

They've gutted your pension, they've gutted your economy, they've gutted your home equity. They've gutted america's image around the globe. They've been clear cutting in your forests, polluting your spacious skies, and they've left a trail of landfills and stripmines across the fruited plain.

And they've left it for the rest of us to clean up.

Well. *Reagan-esque pause*. . . . I'm here to clean it up.

Send my team to washington, America. So we get clean it up.

*wipe to Obama with elementary kids, raising a flag beneath a wind turbine. Then fade to black with the words*

"Clean it up. Obama 2008"

[edit on 9-9-2008 by dr_strangecraft]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

That would make for a great campaign ad or speech. If I were to ever run for office I would definitely want you on my team.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

If I could quote Tricky DIcky "Never shoot low!"

[edit on 9-9-2008 by whiteraven]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

Wow! I got tears in my eyes! No kidding!

Send that to Obama right now!
----------------------

I think the newness of Sarah Palin will "wear off" and the reality of who she is and what she knows and how she governs will make the polls come right back down to a dead heat.

What to Make of the McCain Palin Bounce

I'm not saying Obama is certain to win; he's not. But the way Palin is dazzling the crowds can't last. In a way, she is, as Republicans brag, Barack Obama's counterpart -- a bold new figure with a compelling biography who energizes the base and even gets a look-see from swing voters, independents and curiosity seekers in the other party. But after they've had a good look, most will move back to Obama.

Or they're almost certain to go back to Obama if he gives them a reason to.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Let's be honest, John McCain and the GOP declared full-on culture war when they picked Christian-right darling Palin over McCain's choice, Joe Lieberman

Yea I would tend to agree with Walsh on that point.

And after saying he wouldn't attack Palin, Obama himself began attacking her this week -- a role that should be reserved for Biden and surrogates

Agrees with my Nixon (Tricky Dicky) line.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I'm going to venture a guess being the oddball that I am and say Obama hasn't lost the lead since the polls don't reflect reality. This could be more than a guess as well.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Why has he lost his lead, and will lose the election too...?

1. 18 million people voted for Hillary and he dumped her by the roadside and snubbed her. I am a Christian conservative, but I felt for her. She earned her right to be the VP. I must admit, it really upset me.

2. McCain was losing support at the beginning for his liberal views among his own. I was planning to sit at home. But then came Palin. What he showed me from that was that he was a man that could listen and "change" his attitudes to what people want. He also did so on the wall keeping illegals out. That has caused me to be all fired up. I will vote for McCain and Palin.

3. Like it or not, a lot of white people just won't vote for him, even though they are afraid to tell pollsters that so they don't appear rascist. This is a sorrowful fact, but I believe it is true.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jetxnet
It's still very close and will remain that way into the debates.

The debates will be the deciding factor for anyone who is not sure to vote for.

I agree absolutely that the debates are going to be the deciding factor for this election but that is going to be even worse news for the democrats. Palin is going to walk away from thos VP debates with Bidens testicles as her trophy. I can't wait to see it.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Polls don't say squat. Palin is the reason he is behind, and until voters get to see what Palin is really all about, then he'll likely pull ahead before the election or even during.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

He wont if he doesn't get smart and do exactly what Dr. Love stated. He just doesn't appear to want it as bad as Mccain and Palin, and his strategy so far and his misquotes and his ums and ers prove it. He needs to be sharp as a fox from now on and try to make it once again about change.

It is funny how McCain and the smart republucans have pretty much stolen the Democrats own motto, and are using it quite effectively I believe.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
My thoughts on this - it started when he selected Biden as a running mate. Biden has been in the Senate longer than McCain! And now Obama, the so-called "man of change" is partnered with an old dog of the Senate. You know what they say about old dogs and new tricks. The change mantra isn't selling with this combination of men like he wanted it to.

That's when it started to unravel. Then came Sarah Palin, which wasn't so much of a shakeup in itself, but the Democratic blasting and "no holds barred" attacking of her family proved to what lows the Obama campaign would stoop to win. I think that in itself opened a lot of people's eyes, and the "Obama spell" started to wear off.

Then I think people, now with the spell worn off, are starting to look again at Obama and his platforms, his waffles, his speeches, his history and I think people are beginning to wise-up to the fact that this isn't the man they were originally led to believe in. This isn't the man of change. And slowly but surely, I believe Obama's campaign, barring any scandal against McCain/Palin, will continue to lose supporters and ultimately the election.

On a positive note, this election has proven that people have no problem electing a man/woman of color/non-color as long as they agree with them on the issues. A candidate's belief in religion is the only thing I see which still people aren't willing to be completely accepting of on the political trail.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join