It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S Senate Passing Bills In Secret

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   

U.S Senate Passing Bills In Secret

www.prisonplanet.com

Lou Dobbs explains how your government works.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   

I'm confused, are things like this allowed under certain circumstances? I thought that EVERY bill was up to public discussion.

www.prisonplanet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9/8/2008 by SonicInfinity]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Isn't that how the IRS was formed or something like that?
It was started with a handful of guys staying at DC during Christmas break and decided to implement it's creation with almost no opposition since everyone else was away.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by spec_ops_wannabe

Well yeah, but wasn't that still in the open to be voted on, just with very little people there to vote because of the circumstances? According to Lou Dobbs, people are passing bills in secret with NO votes at all. Is that even legal?

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
How would you get something like this investigated?

If Lou is the only one reporting this we aren't in good shape.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I don't understand where the secrecy in this whole argument comes in ... surely any legislation has to go through various stages before it passes into law ? And that must be in the public domain somewhere, "legislation before the Senate" etc etc. Seems odd that the Senate can accept legislation without a formal vote, as the video suggests, but I guess it's one of the quirks in their own House rules/legislation and something only they or Congress in general can amend.

Perhaps some of the laws passed & not formally voted on is enabling legislation, giving certain officials delegated authority to make legally enforceable rules & regulations on specific subjects, usually on fairly non contentious administrative matters where agreement in advance between both parties would enable the legislation to simply be rubber stamped. Much easier on the poor overworked Senators doing things that way as they collect their expenses for the day.

I had thought the thread was to be about the Senate sitting in camera & passing really secret stuff they think we don't need to know about. Seems a lot more mundane, unfortunately.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Niall197

Do you know what they're passing in secret? If you have a link to some information about all the bills being passed to prove they're all mundane, that'd be good. What I don't understand is that if these bills are harmless, why are they being passed in secret with nobody voting on them? It doesn't add up.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
First off I know next to nothing about the US parliamentary system, I'm only guessing that like most other Parliaments that much of what passes on the floor of the house is really the day to day work of government

e.g. regulations for car safety, changes in social security rates, that kinda stuff. Anything like that will be published in advance by the Senate authorities, they'll put it through on the nod if there's no major objections raised. Mundane, however, doesn't mean benign. That's where you make your Senator accountable & that's what this guy seems to be doing on the floor of the House.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

I'm not surprised by this one bit. What the hell are we paying these bas***ds their exorbitant salaries for?

Do you have any idea when that video clip originally aired?

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by LiquidMirage

I'm not sure.

reply to post by Niall197

But from what I can tell in the video, if people aren't voting on the bills, objections can't be raised about them.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by spec_ops_wannabe

Actually, you may be thinking of the Federal Reserve. A group of "gentlemen" met secretly at Jekyll Island. There's book by G. Edward Griffin called "The Creature From Jekyll Island" that tells the story.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
The money for the invasion of Iraq was diverted secretly. Secret legislation is the new fad. I would try it but I consider it immoral.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by spec_ops_wannabe
It was started with a handful of guys staying at DC during Christmas break and decided to implement it's creation with almost no opposition since everyone else was away.

In a way it was how the I.R.S. was formed. In fact it was how the Federal Reserve was formed. Because they didn't close the session for their vacation break it meant that senators were allowed to still go in and pass legislation. The majority rules at that point and it goes on how many are present. The president still had to pass it though which sucks. He stated in his final address that he regrets it and that he had destroyed his country.

So, the idea that laws are being passed without discussion is nothing new. It's exactly how the Patriot Act was passed. Cheney simply showed up and threatoned everyone that if they didn't pass it, even though most hadn't even read it, that they would be termed as terrorists themselves because they would be supporting them.

It's a joke. It's about power and the ones who 'think' they hold it. They push this stuff through and hope that no one catches it.

top topics

join