It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush administration yanks Russia nuclear pact

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Bush administration yanks Russia nuclear pact

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President George W. Bush on Monday froze a lucrative civilian nuclear pact with Russia, the first big penalty imposed on Moscow after its war with Georgia but one that can be reversed.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I was shocked to see this actually happen!! Is that the best he can do ?? This can NOT have any good diplomatic relations period!! Bush just pretty much gave Russia the finger..
(

How is this related to ANYTHING terrorist? How would we feel if Alaska wanted to split off and Russia sent in troops !!! ??

Mods, I didn't see this posted yet.. if so you know what to do ..
thx

news.yahoo.com

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I don't get what the article is really talking about.

-"froze a lucrative civilian nuclear pact with Russia."
Is the U.S trying to freeze Russia's Nuclear power facilities? and/or to try and shut them down? Or does the U.S share it's Nuclear power with the Russia?

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Komodo

I was shocked to see this actually happen!! Is that the best he can do ?? This can NOT have any good diplomatic relations period!! Bush just pretty much gave Russia the finger..
(

How is this related to ANYTHING terrorist? How would we feel if Alaska wanted to split off and Russia sent in troops !!! ??

Mods, I didn't see this posted yet.. if so you know what to do ..
thx

news.yahoo.com

First and foremost, Georgia is its own country and Russia should have stayed out of their business. It was SO terrorist who started the whole thing a long time ago. Did you know that most of the SO people do not even live there or support the Russian backed terrorist in their quest of an independent land?

The Soviet Union collapsed and from then out Georgia became an independent state and so did Russia. Russia has been killing Georgians ever since. Check out how many Georgians died in the war before this one. Russia needs to leave Georgia alone and they don't so we try to help them have a better life.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
hey ATS,

Plz star this!!! We need more eyes on what is going on. I can't dig deeper right now but will later..

anyone else got other media on this .. ?

Thanks !

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Komodo
hey ATS,

Plz star this!!! We need more eyes on what is going on. I can't dig deeper right now but will later..

anyone else got other media on this .. ?

Thanks !

You liberal apologists make me sick. This is diplomacy! We have been negotiating with the Russians over their incursion into sovereign Georgian territory. Stop attempting to stir panic over a potential war when we are trying to prevent that from happening by applying alternative pressures to discourage the Russians from making any more land grabs. We haven't responded militarily, and we could have. Need I remind you that Georgia is a strong regional ally of the United States?

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ppskylight

ahh.. hmmm...I have no idea what you're talking about.
hmmm.. and I'm not a 'liberal' in the literally sense of the word.. in which I 'think' what you're saying......? ............. hmmm.. yea. ok..

anyways..All I did was post what was ALREADY on the news wire... you might want to talk to them about this.. i'm just the poster.. not the author!

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
ANYWAYS....

Here's a brief look at what 123 agreement means.. but, to me it's still grey....

123 agreement

Here's a bit more detail.. USA & Inda Nucular Agreement(?)

I dunno. From what I get from the bit of reading I've done on this 1,2,3 Agreement..USA as withdrawn our assistance in helping Russia with any more nuclear equipment, money ect. (?) What I don't get, if Russia is already Nuke capable .. why would this make a difference???

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Lucrative nuclear pact? Lucrative for whom? I seriously doubt this pact is any longer of any significance, and this is why it was pulled. U.S. simply wants to make it seem like its punishing Russia, even if Russia couldn't care less.

Originally posted by Sky watcher
It was SO terrorist who started the whole thing a long time ago.

Really? Ever heard of Gamzakhurdia (first Georgian president)? Ever heard of what he started - "Georgia for Georgians" campaign? He is the main reason why these conflicts erupted to begin with - and he was violently deposed by his own people. Shevarnadze tried to clean up Gaamzakhurdia's mess for many years, before he was in turn deposed by the new "Georgia for Georgians" poltician - Saakashvili.

Did you know that most of the SO people do not even live there or support the Russian backed terrorist in their quest of an independent land?

Actually "South Ossetian" people do live there - which is why they are called "South" Ossetians. Other Ossetians do live elsewhere, including Tbilisi. And please explain who you mean by Russian backed terrorist, and how the South Ossetian leadership differs in idealogy from most of the people there? Kokoity was elected with about 90% of the votes - and his policy and goals were made clear.

Russia has been killing Georgians ever since. Check out how many Georgians died in the war before this one.

When was Russia killing Georgians? What does the previous war have to do with Russia - Russia stayed neutral? And how many S Ossetians and Abkhaz died in that war? You are trying to twist this conflict - but you don't back that stance up by any solid facts.

In case you are not aware - it was Russia who stopped those wars in the 90's, thanks to their moderation of peace agreements with Shevarnadze.

Russia needs to leave Georgia alone and they don't so we try to help them have a better life.

Leave Georgia alone? Saakashvili started this war. Georgians fired on the Russian peacekeepers and shelled a civilian city. Georgians may be as much victims as everyone else - but it is their arrogant puppet leader Saakashvili that is responsible for this mess.

And who tries to help Georgia have a better life? U.S.? How did U.S. contribute to improving the standard of living in Georgia mind my asking? By supplying Saakashvili with weapons? Oh yeah - that'll feed the hungry and solve poverty.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Double post

[edit on 8-9-2008 by Memysabu]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   

First and foremost, Georgia is its own country and Russia should have stayed out of their business. It was SO terrorist who started the whole thing a long time ago. Did you know that most of the SO people do not even live there or support the Russian backed terrorist in their quest of an independent land?

The Soviet Union collapsed and from then out Georgia became an independent state and so did Russia. Russia has been killing Georgians ever since. Check out how many Georgians died in the war before this one. Russia needs to leave Georgia alone and they don't so we try to help them have a better life.

First and foremost you are completely incorrect or uninformed.
Read the news and actually pay attention please.

Russia had a UN mandate to keep peace in the region.
Georgia started shelling S.O. and killing people for no reason,
genocide / ethnic cleansing choose one.

Russia went in to stop it. Those were the facts even stated by
Georgia from the begining. You are letting your own personal bias
get in the way of fact. Or youre a shrub groupy. Make your own
decisions please.

[edit on 8-9-2008 by Memysabu]

top topics

join