It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Society Is The Wrong Way Around

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Has anyone else noticed this? Footballers get paid millions, are loved and adored by the masses and treated far better than they should be for being able to kick a round leather thing. Whereas scientists are mostly paid a pittance, laughed at by the masses, treated badly and generally not appreiciated.

Lets get this clear, scientists are the people behind the medicine that keeps you healthy, the clean water in your home (along with engineers), the car you drive, the computer you use and everything else inbetween. These are the people that should get paid millions.

I know this might seem simplistic but it really seems the wrong way around to me, it reminds me of an episode of "Sliders" where they go to a world that realises the importance of science. I'm not having a go at the individual footballer, i'm having a go at society.

It really just seems like we have prioritised the wrong things.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Its because the circus is the most important thing a government can do. The masses need to be entertained so they do not focus too much on how rubbish things are, and what the gov are doing.

Thats what they call the circus, its why they have footie, or whatever.

But you are right that society is fooked, not much hope of a better tomorrow really. Serial killers joining the police do not help society, it just feeds there need to kill, and destroy lifes.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Yep, panem et circenses. Scientists are part of the "bread" side of things - necessary to survive.

Footballers provide the distraction from the fact that the bread is whitened with chalk and tastes funny.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Revere scientists who wants to force evolution on our schools?

Scientists also invented the atomic bomb and chemical and biological warfare.

No thanks!

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

People also get jelous when a scientist invents a new drug and goes on to make millions from it; when a car designer designs a £1m car that only certain people can buy; when a programmer codes an OS and goes on to make £50b and become the second richest person in the world.

Short story: people are jelous of any success.

I personally dont care how people make their money, as long as its legal and ethical. I dont begrudge footballers... there is a market for their services which is why they are paid so much.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lannock

No thanks!

Yes because evolution is correct. As for the atomic bomb, well it isn't great but youcknow what, i wonder how the stability of the world would be without it. However you missed my other points, you no doubt have received meical treatment, you no doubt use clean water, you no doubt use food. All of these come from science in the modern world. Do you drive a car? Do you take public transport? Oh and lets not forget the idea of an exam originated in Cambridge england (by a scientist). I could go on and on, the simple fact you're typing at a computer if a testament to science. The lights in your home also are from science.

I love how you pick and choose the areas of sceince you want and then denounce the bad areas. Maybe you should more closely look at what science has given you before saying "no thanks". Becuase if you don't use science then please go back to the stone age and see how you fare.

reply to post by 44soulslayer

I don't mind the individual footballers, this is about society not the individual.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

No thanks!

Yes because evolution is correct. As for the atomic bomb, well it isn't great but youcknow what, i wonder how the stability of the world would be without it. However you missed my other points, you no doubt have received meical treatment, you no doubt use clean water, you no doubt use food. All of these come from science in the modern world. Do you drive a car? Do you take public transport? Oh and lets not forget the idea of an exam originated in Cambridge england (by a scientist). I could go on and on, the simple fact you're typing at a computer if a testament to science. The lights in your home also are from science.

I love how you pick and choose the areas of sceince you want and then denounce the bad areas. Maybe you should more closely look at what science has given you before saying "no thanks". Becuase if you don't use science then please go back to the stone age and see how you fare.

I don't mind the individual footballers, this is about society not the individual.

The world is on the brink of disaster because of scientists. I would rather live in the stone age than be dead.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   

The world is on the brink of disaster because of scientists. I would rather live in the stone age than be dead.

Please show me with evidene how the world is on the edge of destruction.
Not a one liner.

[edit on 13-9-2008 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Wow, this is probably the dumbest thing I have ever read on ATS. And that's counting the previous record holding post that I found earlier today. It's very hard not to make a snide comment in response. All I will say is that, if it weren't for modern science you quite possibly would be dead since without it people didn't live very long in adulthood, that is if they made it past birth. Deny........ignorance.

OP: I don't think people admire him because he's good at soccer; they admire him because he's rich and has a fabulous lifestyle, which they envy. As Lannock has so wonderfully illustrated, people don't care about things which improve society or life on earth unless it makes their life significantly easier, and sometimes they still don't.

You're absolutely right. People are jealous of any success, no matter how great or small.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   

The computer you typed that on appears to be working quite well, and you appear to be quite proficient in its use.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Because distractions are important to any country who intends to herd the cattle with ease, it’s not hard to figure out. I’m sure more Americans would rather see one of those games in person and get good seats than vote, I’m sure if they had a choice most would not choose voting. I’m sure many similar contrasts can be created with other countries and their popular pass times. If we are all comfortable children, nestled safely in our “parents” arms, easily amused by the “flashing lights” we don’t really stop to think, wait where did all my choices go and who has been making them for me, and wow these choices are important and I should be making them.

[edit on 16-9-2008 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

No thanks!

Yes because evolution is correct.

That is your opinion as it is my opinion that evolution is not correct. Evolution rides on so-called "proof" while there is none. Lots of evidence, yes, just like there is lots of evidence against evolution.

As for evidence for the world being "on the edge of destruction", watch the news bro (sis?)

Originally posted by Johnmike

The computer you typed that on appears to be working quite well, and you appear to be quite proficient in its use.

I don't deny the fact that I would miss computers as it is a big part of my job and pretty much the basis of my hobbies (pc games and websurfing), but like I said, if I have a choice of going back to a world without technology or being dead because of technology, I would dump the technology.

[edit on 17-9-2008 by Lannock]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Lots of evidence, yes, just like there is lots of evidence against evolution.

I hate to jump into this argument but:

Like what?

Are you a creationist believer? What evidence supports creationism more than evolution?

[edit on 17-9-2008 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
OK you know what, this isn't a thread about evolution. I responded to someone because they had a go at evolution but i realise now that this was simply baiting. I request everyone steers clear of turning this into an evolution vs creation thread please.

As for being jelous. I don't care about the individual footballer. Footballers are just taking advantage of the situation and i have absolutely nothing aginst them. Likewise i woudln't have anything against a scientist that makes a ton of money.

This is a rant against society being the wrong way around, as the thread title says, it has zero to do with jelousy and me to do with the idea that if we embraced science as it should be embraced, then as a species we'd be far further along.

I mean look at the USA's DARPA department. They fund anything and everything, they understand all sorts of things can be found out with experimentation. I'm sure they have discovered all sorts of wonderful things and yet all of that will be classified and our scientific knowledge will be stunted.

join