It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dan Rather explains compromised, corporate, journalism

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
News Flash, They just found out Dan Rather didnt check any of the facts for this program. At this time he would rather not make a statement but many writers of the show are now being fired. He stated that he didnt think he needed to check the facts before putting his stamp of approval on it especially when it sounded so left wing. Even though you may think this is going to set Dan Rather back further it isnt, Its just in that he is going to team up with one of the greatest blogging sites. Perez Hilton and Dan Rather are going to create a blog together. Its going to be called "Danny and Perez ----All the news thats worth Fluffing and Fluffing again" I cant wait, its going to be awesome.....

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienj
News Flash, They just found out Dan Rather didnt check any of the facts for this program.

Interesting.

Source?

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsTheQuestion

I should redo my thoughts on what I said because you're right. That money does infact feed into the lower parts of the pyramid.

It is of much greater significance to manipulate the minds of the masses than it is to make the profits off the networks. In comparison to other places they make their money, media is way down on the list of profitability.

I do stand corrected as money is involved. Thanks for your correction and hopefully I can sit down and watch that whole movie soon. I'm still awed by its foreshadowing.

Peace

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Universal Light

No harm, no foul. You are absolutely correct that the top of the top don't need any more money, except to use it as a carrot-and-stick tool.

Enjoy 'Network'.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
The way I see it is it comes down to the corperations who don't want anyone to rock the boat since it affects thier bottom line now there is some talking going on about shutting down bloggers and other sources of news online,the more these companies consoldiate the more alturnative sources appear.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TaZCoN

LOL @ Dan "fake, but accurate" Rather.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

We don't need the government to come in and make sure everything is "fair". There are enough sources out there now that people can get their information wherever they want.

I just wish that was the case. Unfortunately Corporations and the Government are on one side and people on the other. Once the journalists joined the side of big government and the corporations we are screwed.

For example did you know the state of Wisconsin and Equity Livestock Coop (a state allowed monopoly) are about to wipe out the entire cattle industry in Wisconsin? I have only seen one reference to this despite its major effect on the food supply of the USA and the economy of the state of Wisconsin.

Checkout comment 9 at nonais.org...-1395096 as you eat your last hamburger.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by TaZCoN

As opposed to bildo 'no spin zone' o'reily?

Indeed LOL

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TaZCoN

reply to post by TaZCoN

Indeed LOL

Don't feed the troll. Please.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TaZCoN

reply to post by TaZCoN

Indeed LOL

Awwww, lookie here!!!! Tazcon is IGNORANT to the fundamental difference between a..

JOURNALIST AND A COMMENTATOR!!!!

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Ahh yes, my bad.

bildo 'no spin zone' o'reily, infotainer extraordinar, and the holy grail of faux news.

Remember, these tools are helping to shape/control the less gifted minds of Amerika.

And now I'll take your advice ItsTheQuestion...and let the troll go hungry.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Hey Everyone....

NO MORE RED FLAGS... Not Tonight... OK????

Discuss the topic.... PLEASE

Not each other

Semper

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
First...

Why do you assume I watch ANY mainstream news sources?

I do not.

In fact the ONLY time I turn the tube on it's for ESPN, TBN, or NBC for sports.

I get my news online, all mainstream news outlets are controlled by the Illuminati.

Now, carry on.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TaZCoN

Hilarious video, TaZ.

The troll? Ignore it [there's a button]. You'll live longer.

Back to the OP. I've watched Dan Rather's show on HDNet with great interest. He carries himself unlike any other telejournalist, with the exception of some on the Jim Lehrer/PBS team. He's calm, kind [what a concept!], and doesn't seek to belittle his guests or his topics.

Yes, he has an agenda. We ALL have an agenda. Unless you've reached enlightentment, I guess. To fault him for that is laughable.

Good for him to stand up in front of his peers in the media, icon that he is, and call them out on Front Street for shilling for Big Business.

This man's story is fascinating.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Wow, hearing Dan Rather talking in a manner that Noam Chomsky would approve of, makes me wonder again as to the truth of what really happened with regard to his leaving 'active journalism'.

Has he been railing like this all along, and we're only seeing glimpses (such as this) of it? What he says seems true, and he has the authority of experience to back it up.

I'm wondering now -- was the scandal regarding false documents, that got him booted out of the anchor chair, a response somehow to him getting 'out of control' in expressing his opinions? That scandal always seemed manufactured to me -- my suspicion (unproven) was that the documents were actual documents, but retyped or modified slightly, deliberately, so they would pass journalistic 'vetting', but so that they could later be 'revealed' as 'false' -- killing two birds with one stone: getting Rather out of the bully-pulpit, and undermining objections to Bush's war record as 'based on false propaganda'.

How much of the real Rather was starting to express itself, that we didn't hear, before that scandal broke? Makes ya wonder.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
I'm wondering now -- was the scandal regarding false documents, that got him booted out of the anchor chair, a response somehow to him getting 'out of control' in expressing his opinions?

You said it, Jack.

If you haven't caught it, check out this clip.

Dan Rather on "Internet Journalism".

...[T]elevision is going increasingly, I'm sorry to say, with some exceptions, going for entertainment posing as news..."Here's our newscast. Let me tell you about Paris Hilton..."

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsTheQuestion

Excuse me..

How am I a "troll" for pointing out that Rather's job as a JOURNALIST wasn't to have an 'agenda', nor promote one.

His JOB was to report the actual news when it happened, not what he wanted the actual news to be.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   
That boy hit the nail on the head...

This is why Capitalism will die like punk music, its spoiled.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by '___'eed
That boy hit the nail on the head...

This is why Capitalism will die like punk music, its spoiled.

The only system that has worked more efficiently throught the history of the world was the barter system.

Are we gonna go back to that?

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Yeah... lets make those coins gold, and start growing and trapping.

But I am interested in True Communism, not war communism.

The stuff that was in star Trek.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join