It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Widow of Bhutto wins Elections

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Link to more

Asif Ali Zardari, the widower of former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto, has won a sweeping victory in Pakistan's presidential election. The election was called after Pervez Musharraf resigned rather than risk being impeached. Mr Zardari faces severe economic problems and a rampant Islamist insurgency that are threatening Pakistan's stability.

Well where do you all think pakistan is going with this guy? I don't think he has what it takes to keep U.S an ally and still maintain some good level in pakistan like musharaff did.

Can he pull pakistan out of the extremist insurgency?

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Thanks for the thread. Here's a couple of suggestions, so as to improve your experience here on ATS.

First, a thread such as this would be appropriately posted in "Breaking News".

Second, a widow is a woman. What you mean to say is "widower".

Peace.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
The reports I have read show that he supports the US in the war on terror and the Pak/Afghan border is widely believed to be the location of OBL and the rest of al qaeda.

KARACHI - In anticipation of a new era in Pakistani politics under president-in-waiting Asif Ali Zardari, the first volleys have been fired in a renewed joint Pakistan-North Atlantic Treaty Organization venture to fight against the Taliban and al-Qaeda beyond Afghanistan's borders. Special forces carried out two attacks inside Pakistan.

On Wednesday morning, US special forces entered Angorada in the South Waziristan tribal area where members of al-Qaeda's shura (council), Arabs and Uzbeks were believed to be operating. The rugged mountainous area is also a known launching pad for militants staging attacks on a US military post in the Birmal area in Paktika province in Afghanistan.

The special forces, who flew in by helicopter to a small village, soon realized that they did not have the numbers or air cover to conduct effective search operations. Firing broke out and about 20 civilians are believed to have been killed before the forces withdrew.

Twenty-four hours later, four militants were killed in North Waziristan, reportedly by US special forces. The dead did not include any of the senior al-Qaeda or militant leaders who were said to have been in the area.

Contacts in Pakistan's strategic quarters told Asia Times Online that more cross-border attacks were likely as Pakistani intelligence was sharing information with the US on militant activities.

The idea of NATO or US forces stationed in Afghanistan staging raids into Pakistan was conceived in 2007 to eliminate top Taliban and al-Qaeda leaders and their safe sanctuaries. (See US homes in on militants in Pakistan Asia Times Online, January 30, 2008.)

With Pakistan's Zardari expected to be chosen as president on Saturday, and with the US presidential election campaign ripe for a dramatic turn in the "war on terror", Pakistan is poised to become an international battlefield

source

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
oh yea my bad :p

I was in a rush when I made the thread.

Anyhow for the poster above oBl is dead..

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXxArMaGeDdOnxXx

Anyhow for the poster above oBl is dead..

Care to elaborate?

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXxArMaGeDdOnxXx
...oBl is dead..

I second mhc_70's question. What is your evidence that Osama Bin Laden is dead? That's quite a statement. I'm not agreeing, nor disagreeing with your post. Again, I'm simply curious as to what would support your declaration.

Enlighten us!

new topics

top topics

join