It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everything is on the line.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
For whatever reason, i have suddenly become interested in this election which is strange to me because i thought it was all bs most of the time and thought it didn't really matter all that much, one guy doesn't run the entire show. I've always thought this. But this time is different. Maybe it's b/c i'm older now, or maybe it's because...i think we are headed for some very bad times if something is not done with our oil dependency.

We all know why the US went to war with Iraq...TWICE..for oil. There are lots of problems all around the world: Countries fighting within themselves and around them. We never helped them. The only time we war is when it's something we need. It can be for stability, but mostly it is for resources. It was oil we could get without worrying about too much interference with another country. This is our problem. We can't do this again. Everyone is placing their game pieces on the Risk board claiming their part of the resources. We really cannot continue to do this.

Right now we and our country are going completely broke as we send billions of dollars to other countries for their oil. When will it end? I believe there are too very possible endings to do this:

1. Switch to an alternative energy. COMPLETELY IN HOUSE. I believe it can be done if the government worked together as hard as they worked to make a nuclear bomb. This is grave. I truly believe this. I don't think drilling more will do the job, as we simply do not have enough of it. It's an expendable resource. Our country's pop. is growing along with the rest of the world. As countries modernize there will be even more need for it.

2. WAR.lots of it. This is why we have an oil reserve. This is our last defense without having to use our NUKES. If the oil were suddenly cut off or it finally came to the point that Americans could simply not afford it, you know what will happen. We will either go completely bankrupt or we will be forced to get more resources....which we will have to take by force. It should be in the back of the mind of everyone. I just hope everyone can see this.

This is what we are faced with. I truly believe that this election is vital to our future...and the world. Please choose whom you think is right. Do not look at the political parties and go with one b/c that's what u are supposed to do. Go with what u feel we need to lead us into whatever these times bring us. I think this election is historical for many reasons.

The most important reason...is what is at stake with your lives and your country. Make your voice heard.

Take a good hard look at both candidates. Please make a good decision...for your sake..and mine.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I don't think anyone's debating the need for alternative energy sources, but saying we'll have something for sure within 10 years that will power our homes and cars us unrealistic. In truth, we just don't know how long it will take to find a new source of energy or harness an existing source to replace oil. The government can pour billions into this effort but science is science. Money can only rush things so fast.

Right now, I see one candidate opposed to drilling, nuclear, clean coal and wanting to all the eggs in one basket - renewable energy. Wind, tidal and solar is great but you aren't going to power cars with those things (solar is up for debate, but it's far from cost efficient right now). If we knew it was going to take 25-30 years to make an energy breakthrough, are we ready to condemn this generation and the next to $4/gallon and higher gas prices? It's a gamble.

I see another candidate willing to drill right now, fund more nuclear (which this country is needlesly afraid of) power plants which would create jobs and more clean coal plants. He would also put some money into renewable energy, though admittedly not as much as the other candidate. Finding alternative energy sources could take much longer. This is the safer road.

Personally, I have a daughter, almost 2 and I don't want to gamble with her future. So my choice is clear.

What I find ironic is a country that puts so much emphasis on the entertainment industry, politics, sports and has continuously cranked out fewer and fewer scientific majors each year from colleges is now suddenly in dire need of scientists to find an alternative source of energy.

[edit on 5-9-2008 by sos37]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
This is what we are faced with. I truly believe that this election is vital to our future...and the world. Please choose whom you think is right. Do not look at the political parties and go with one b/c that's what u are supposed to do. Go with what u feel we need to lead us into whatever these times bring us. I think this election is historical for many reasons.

The most important reason...is what is at stake with your lives and your country. Make your voice heard.

Take a good hard look at both candidates. Please make a good decision...for your sake..and mine.

Thanks for the nice post!

I did look hard at both candidates. Last February I really liked Obama and didn't care much for McCain.

Now that I see who each really is, and which one represents not just any change, but a change in the right direction, I think there is no doubt McCain is the one to lead the U.S. into the future and help get rid of the partisan politics.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I really just wish the circus surrounding this election would end. It's just too important for this. What have we been reduced too? Politicians should not be treated like celebrities. Celebrities entertain us. Politicians are supposed to serve us and our country. They are being treated they paparazzi treat Britney Spears. They are insulted inside and out. This is what it's about people. I look at the topics on this forum and it's spun right into people. This isn't your favorite bs reality show, movie, or theater. This is our life. This is REAL. The dangers ahead are VERY REAL.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
If we were faced with devistation as a society or coming up with alternative power sources for double every bit of power we consume today, we could have them all online in 3 years. From beginning of research to large scale manufacture, distribution, and installation.

Unfortunately the problem is not that simple. For products to come to market, they must be competatively cost effective to be profitable.
This slows down the process considerably and makes the path bumpy and uncertain.

Unlike the Chinese who can dictate a nationwide restructuring, but lack the originality to conceive of a unique approach. We have the creativity, but the openess of our society constrains our ability to apply.

Perhaps the world is better off with a mix where the interaction causes cross benefits, like the competition which is going on today to spur the implementation of better solutions. I know we are not taught to think in those terms and they may seem heretical, but we should have learned something from our own diversity about the benefits.

The difference is where in the scale of things you apply the diversity, so it is not so radical a departure. So you see the concept of using the old paradigm of war to compete over diminshing returns is not only outmoded thinking, and ineffectual. It is also un-American, un-British, un European. I don't know how to phrase the scope, how about un-evolved, like the dinosaur.

We need to put the worlds remaining dinosaurs out to pasture, and focus on our needs. We are all trapped on this tiny spinning ball at the bottom of a gravity well, which we have not really learned to overcome. If we continue to behave like dinosaurs, we will become dinosaurs, and perhaps the future dominant life form of the planet will use us as a fuel source.

[edit on 5-9-2008 by Cyberbian]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
Personally, I have a daughter, almost 2 and I don't want to gamble with her future. So my choice is clear.

[edit on 5-9-2008 by sos37]

Hrmmm... I can imagine that the parent of a young child would feel strongly about whatever it is that effected their childrens future, and that they would resonate with a specific viewpoint relative to their frame of reference to such a degree, that their perception will appear very clear.

However, thats a far cry from their being an objectively clear choice.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I would also like to note how completely biased the media is on both sides. Last night, i switched back and forth between CNN and FOX to see just how biased they were. It's night and day. One is bashing and one is blushingly happy and praising. The roles were switched before.

Also, and i really couldn't believe this. As some of you know of the old speech McCain gave in front of a green screen and it happened again by accident in his speech last night. IT was a hit on the internet with people putting images on the green screen. Anyway...

After Wolf Blitzer talked about this subject in depth today on his Situation Room, i turned the channel and came back after a few minutes. I couldn't believe what i seen. They were showing Barack and McCain on a special computer generated split screen talking about some topic or issue, i don't remember exactly what it was. The point is...the whole time it was on...they used the short amount of time that McCain had that green screen behind him. Couldn't believe it. Kind of ironic that they would use JUST THAT PIECE. I mean, damn...it was a long speech right??

Things have gotten ugly on both sides.

top topics

join