It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mythbusters RFID show axed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Mythbusters RFID show axed

www.theinquirer.net

THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL has axed an episode of its popular show Mythbusters which revealed how easy it was to stuff up Radio Frequency Indentification (RFID) technology after a call from the nice people who make the gear.

The show's co-host Adam Savage claimed that he set out to do an episode on the vulnerabilities of RFID but encountered some very powerful resistance.

A conference call was arranged between co-host Tory Belleci and Texas Instruments to talk about the RFID vulnerabilities. Texas Instruments showed up with the chief legal counsel for American Express, Visa, Discover, and everybody else.

Apparently the combined legal might made it really clear to the folks at Discovery that they were not going to air this episode talking about RFID hacks.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Wow... corporations control us more than the government. Dude I have nothing to say... this is just too far.

www.theinquirer.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

wow. Not right, not right at all... Corporate influence can be misplaced at times. Having said that...the company does have the right to protect their product. Doesn't mean we have to like it...

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 9/3/2008 by seagull]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I made a thread a while back about the episode featuring RFID tags and whether or not they can "blow up" in a MRI machine. That episode was so blatantly pro-RFID it was disgusting.

RFID propaganda

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
The thing is, what is there to hide?

people cracked the iphone.

people hacked into the pentagon

heck the CIA exploits millions of vulnerabilities in other countries every single fing day. Corporations exploit the DeeDeeDee population, so why can't we do something that is not illegal?

i don't think theres a law against opening RFID chips.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Let's start here. Putting it inside some sort of metallic envelope or screen with holes smaller than the RF wavelength would prevent access to the RFID tags since the power source (RF) will be blocked. The same "tech" would be employed that prevents microwaves from escaping the oven.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Various forms of RFID are incredibly easy to beat, you just need to know how. A similar example would be on a show on how easily home burglar alarms can be gotten past.

Just because it's true doesn't mean you should tell everyone how though. Better some people remain ignorant.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I was interviewed by two different papers over this two years ago.
Mythbusters is a tad late. And years + years ago RFID dump came out.
You could litterally walk down the isle in a store with a PDA and recode the 8bit encrypted RFIDs so that when you checked out the item costed far less.

RFID is a joke and it will never be secure.

Dont even get me started lol. National ID's, Credit Cards, you name it.

[edit on 5-9-2008 by Memysabu]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Memysabu

yes, you are correct, here in the UK there was a program on tv that showed a guy hacking the chips in UK passports,

he then went into a store and reset all the chips on all the products.

snoopyuk

join