It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illegal immigrants opted to stay during Gustav

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Illegal immigrants opted to stay during Gustav

www.msnbc.msn.com

We know that people died during Katrina, but we had no choice but to stay here," said Carlos Mendoza, a 21-year-old illegal immigrant from Honduras who rode out the storm with seven other people. They took shelter in an apartment that is close to a street corner where day laborers congregate.

"Many stayed because of fear," Mendoza said. "I would say at least 50 percent of us."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
How wrong that the fear of going home is so bad that people will put their life at risk.

At least they enjoy our weather.

Well, I haven't kept up with the news. Sounds like most people made it out safely. My heart goes out to anyone who lost their home to this storm.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
And also how wrong is it to allow them to stay here as felony criminals? If they really want to leave their native countries that bad, at least they should start the Immigration process so as to not be criminals. Living under the possibility of arrest over such serious crimes is what's causing their current stresses...Just starting the process would relieve them of that stress.

Wrong is wrong, even if it helps you.

[edit on 2-9-2008 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Pure propaganda here. Oh poor illegals.
Yeah right.

This ain't the 80's, or even the 90's anymore. Your chances of getting deported these days are next to nil. Even violent felons don't usually wind up getting deported, so I doubt there was much risk in getting on an evacuation bus where they weren't even checking I.D.'s

Then of course there is the logic factor. If everyone left except for the illegals and the police, I think that would make them a pretty big target.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
MidnightDStroyer,

True, if they started the PROCESS of being here legally, they would probably be feeling much more releived. There must be some reason they know to not even try though. Like refusal to learn English? ... Is that even a requirement to become a citizen ? I am so disappointed with our "elected" officials.

jackinthebox,

So true.... Unless a crime catches major attention, the criminal illegals will not even be deported. Though I know that when they do, they simply accept the free ride home, to stock up on drugs again before coming back.

Dude, get this, I am so not kidding.. I am finally moving out of the little Mexico known as Portland, for good.

I just have to throw in, to stay on topic, most people have a sense of self-preservation. When they are saying on the news things like "Mother of all storms", and "Worse than Katrina", most people would connect something like this to mean possibility of death or self-harm........ *shrug* We all got priorities.

new topics

top topics

join