It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Brilliance of Sarah Palin for VP

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
This is why McCain's selection of Gov. Sarah Palin for VP was stunningly brilliant from a strategic standpoint. This has nothing to do with policy, just strategy.

The Dems orchestrated a huge media event climaxing with Obama's speech last Thursday night. During the campaign, McCain's camp started whispering to the media that McCain's VP would be Romney, Pawlenty, Lieberman, or Ridge, and that the announcement would come Friday. The media was already preparing stories on these three, and the Dems were preparing how to attach each possible VP candidate.

Karl Rove even went as far as confirming that he personally requested that Joe Lieberman withdraw his name from consideration.

Then by early Friday morning the first rumors about Gov. Palin were spreading, talking about a private plane flying in from Alaska. By 7:00 am the McCain campaign confirmed that Sarah Palin was the VP pick.

This obliterated Obama's speech from being the focus of the morning news shows. Everybody was talking about Palin. Obama's speech became an afterthought.

By Sunday all the talk in the media was about Palin. Of course, the Dems had to attack her, and the most obvious target was her experience. This shifted the entire conversation to be about experience, which is the area where McCain has a HUGE advantage over Obama.

When everybody's talking about "experience, experience, experience, experience... " in an effort to attack Palin, they were really playing right into McCain's hands. If the debate centers on experience, who wins when it comes to McCain vs. Obama?

And now the pregnancy issue...

I would hate to think that this was any part of the planning, but I would guarantee it was discussed before McCain selected Gov. Palin as the VP.

They had to know the media would be all over this story in a feeding frenzy, especially the liberal MSM media trying to make Gov. Palin look bad. McCain's camp had to make the decision whether or not this was a deal breaker. They decided it wasn't.

Why?

Again, because they knew it couldn't possibly hurt them. Women would identify with Sarah Palin and her daughter.

So to summarize the whole process, this is what happened. Thursday night at 11:00 pm everybody was talking about Obama. This lasted about an hour. Everybody went to sleep and when they woke up the world was different. Now everybody was talking about Gov. Palin and McCain.

And instead of "change" being the word all conversations were about, two new words became the subject of every story.

Experience and pregnant. What happened to the spotlights that used to be shining on Obama? In one fell swoop, every spotlight was turned on Gov. Palin, and they've stayed their for 5 days now.

And who is being drawn in and energized by the spotlight being on Gov. Palin and her daughter's pregnancy? First and foremost the conservative base, and women.

I bet the average person on the street couldn't even tell you who Obama's running mate is. But everybody in the country is talking about Gov. Palin. The people who are degrading her weren't going to vote for her anyway. But now the millions of conservatives and a large number of women are excited again about voting this election.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
HERE HERE! I couldn't agree more!

NOTHING in politics is done by accident. McCain has played an awsome campaign.

This is very much like the Foreman VS Moorer fight. All the old man had to do was let the young buck spend his energy.....then WHAM...In for the knockout!

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Hey Jamie, very good point. Also, don't forget the "PUMAS" i.e., ex-Clinton supporters. They're making waves. The latest is that fox news host greta van susteren's husband; a one time Clinton supporter has openly backed McCain/Palin.

I didn't think much of the "PUMAS" until I seen them mentioned on the fox news website. Then I was surprised to see they've got their own website.

www.hillaryclintonforum.net...

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I agree, from a strategic standpoint it was brilliant. The desperation in the Obama camp proves that; they were grasping at family issues as attack fodder. After picking a 35 year Senate fossil as a veep, Sarah Palin is truly a beacon of change.

Edit: massive typo!

[edit on 2-9-2008 by jsobecky]

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
As a woman, I am offended by McCain's pick of Palin. Does he think we are so stupid that just any woman will do? There are many more GOP women that far more experienced and reputable: Olympia Snowe, Kay Bailey Hutchison, Meg Whitman, Carly Fiorina...the list goes on.

This episode has Karl Rove written all over it - for some of the reasons you mentioned. However, I wouldn't characterize it as "brilliant" but, instead, manipulative. Just another Neo-Con distraction from the important issues of the day - the Economy, the War, Energy initiatives. For some hocus-pocus reason, most likely related to electoral demographics, they want us to focus on her narrative.

Whether you vote for McCain or Obama, please pay attention to what's really important. Palin's pick is relevant - not because she is a woman and a mother or that her family is facing serious issues but because she is simply unqualified for the important position for which she has been tapped. The pick is a reflection of McCain's willingness to gamble our future to win this election, especially after proclaiming so loudly that he wouldn't gamble on the war to do so.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
As a woman, I am offended by McCain's pick of Palin. Does he think we are so stupid that just any woman will do? There are many more GOP women that far more experienced and reputable: Olympia Snowe, Kay Bailey Hutchison, Meg Whitman, Carly Fiorina...the list goes on.

The women you named are not anywhere near the type of candidate Gov. Palin is. They are either too liberal, too rich, or too old to appeal to the base that McCain must win over.

As for being offended by Gov. Palin's pick, I think that's more of a reflection on you than on Gov. Palin. Gov. Palin is an incredible woman by any standards. She's in her early 40's and ran against corruption in her own party to become a Governor.

She is NOT just ANY women. To make such a claim is a display of pure ignorance on your part.

[edit on 2-9-2008 by jamie83]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

I'm going to ask the same question I asked someone a few days ago: What were the chances that you would have EVER considered voting for McCain? It doesn't take much to search post histories; you're none too supportive of him.

That's fine, mind you. You're welcome to formulate your own opinion and vote the way you wish. But don't act insulted when I highly suspect that you never would have voted for McCain in the first place.

It would be the same if I, valuing foreign policy experience, said I felt insulted by Obama's obvious pandering to that issue by selecting Biden. It matters not; my feelings on the pick are irrelevant. I never had any intention of voting for Obama to begin with.

[edit on 2-9-2008 by vor78]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Well, if you search a bit harder will will find that I have stated that I am a former Republican who voted for Bush twice. However, I supported Mcain in the 2000 GOP primary. But, that's totally irrelevant to my points.

[edit on 2/9/2008 by kosmicjack]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83She is NOT just ANY women. To make such a claim is a display of pure ignorance on your part.

[edit on 2-9-2008 by jamie83]

Get over yourself. It's not a "claim", it's my opinion. Last I checked, that was still within the T&C. I didn't blast your OP, don't pick apart my post.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

That may be, but it doesn't answer my question. Did you have any interest in voting for John McCain on August 28th, 2008, just before this announcement was made?

My suspicion is no. I have no qualms whatsoever about your choice not to support him, that is fine, but I find it difficult to believe that this pick has suddenly offended you. I think you soured on McCain quite some time ago.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
To directly answer your question - No. But that doesn't exclude me from replying to this thread nor does it prohibit me from having an opinion on Palin's selection.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
No, you're quite correct, it doesn't exclude you or your opinion, but it is relevant to the discussion. As I indicated above, this would be the same as if I attacked Biden as obvious pandering; it would be fully consistent with my beliefs on the matter, but it would be disingenuous of me to act offended or insulted by that pandering when the fact is, I had no intention of voting for that ticket.

I'm not trying to bust on you here, but that we need to lay all of the cards on the table on this issue. I've seen too many people say this when they had no intention of voting that ticket anyway.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
The Americans elections are sooo sleazy. It's funny.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by xbranscombex
The Americans elections are sooo sleazy. It's funny.

Sleazy in what way?

From what I can tell, the only thing really sleazy in my opinion were the people using a baby with Downs Syndrome as a political tool to attempt to disparage a candidate. If that's what you're referring to, I agree 100%.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

Surely it can be argued that the GOP is using a baby with Down's Syndrome to humanize the ticket and to garner sympathy and the "Family Values" vote. Total double standard.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83
Sleazy in what way?

And instead of "change" being the word all conversations were about, two new words became the subject of every story.

Experience and pregnant. What happened to the spotlights that used to be shining on Obama? In one fell swoop, every spotlight was turned on Gov. Palin, and they've stayed their for 5 days now.

And who is being drawn in and energized by the spotlight being on Gov. Palin and her daughter's pregnancy? First and foremost the conservative base, and women.

Nope not sleazy at all.

The whole proccess is sleazy, as it's not about the issues anymore its about who can keep the attention on themselves (in whatever sleazy way they deem nessecary).

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

After picking a 35 year Senate fossil as a veep, Sarah Palin is truly a beacon of change.

Errr... fossil? What about McCain? Born moments after the Big Bang??

Anyways back to the OP- it was a brilliant strategy. It's too bad that "free elections" come down to a psychological sleaze-fest war. McCain has gone about as lib as he's gonna get. Now he has to lean back on his base so bring in the woman VP to snatch a few votes from disgruntled women for Clinton.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Interesting takes gentlemen! There is always the possibility that your analysis of the situation are spot on. Personally I think it was a bad move. This woman is taking the spotlight, that is for sure, but it is for issue after issue rather than for her strengths. She has drowned out McCain all together at this point and not for issues that matter but for issues like her unwed daughters pregnancy, her 'troopergate' scandal, her performance as mayor, her husbands dui, on and on. Maybe it will pass and maybe she will pick up some women votes, but I do not see it as likely as many McCain supporters would like it to be. Best of luck to you all regardless.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scramjet76

Anyways back to the OP- it was a brilliant strategy. It's too bad that "free elections" come down to a psychological sleaze-fest war. McCain has gone about as lib as he's gonna get. Now he has to lean back on his base so bring in the woman VP to snatch a few votes from disgruntled women for Clinton.

Your point is well-taken. The elections have come down to this in general because of mass-media and the complete dumbing down of the population overall.

People are too lazy to be bothered with issues. The entire process has come down to branding. The most obvious example is "R" vs. "D" or "red" vs. "blue".

I'm guessing 80% of the people who vote pick the letter in front of the candidate's name, not the candidate. And that's those who vote!

What about the millions who can't even be bothered with voting 1 time in four years?

We are getting what we deserve, and then complaining about our government.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Animal
Interesting takes gentlemen! There is always the possibility that your analysis of the situation are spot on. Personally I think it was a bad move. This woman is taking the spotlight, that is for sure, but it is for issue after issue rather than for her strengths. She has drowned out McCain all together at this point and not for issues that matter but for issues like her unwed daughters pregnancy, her 'troopergate' scandal, her performance as mayor, her husbands dui, on and on. Maybe it will pass and maybe she will pick up some women votes, but I do not see it as likely as many McCain supporters would like it to be. Best of luck to you all regardless.

You hit the nail on the head when you pointed out that the attacks on Palin all concern issues that don't matter. The attacks are not making Palin look bad, but instead are making her attackers look bad.

At least Obama is smart enough to recognize this and position himself as defending Palin. Come to think of it, this is the ultimate coup of this strategy.

Obama is forced to defend Palin from the attacks of liberal bloggers and the MSM!

It's even more brilliant than I thought.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join