It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The LHC was a bad idea from the start

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Well my list would be more like....

We die fast and know nothing.
We die fast, but have time to know what is happening.
We don't die, it works, we learn some stuff and die later.
Die in an accident
Die in a war

Or we don't activate it and...

Die later on
Die in a accident
Die in a war

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by -0mega-

This might be a bit far out but why does a black hole have to lead to death no one knows where it leads and you never know it could lead to somewhere positive. its not impossible.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by umbr45
[I don't pretend to know more than them, but neither do they know what they are doing.]

It would take an advanced degree in physics for you to even begin to find fault with anything going on at CERN. So when you say that 'they' dont know what 'they' are doing, you actually dont have the slightest clue about how the device even operates, do you?
Sorry, cant seem to figure out how to quote, then respond. Properly, that is.

[edit on 2-9-2008 by spookjr]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
That is one of the things the LHC will discover (that's if it is possible to create mini black holes at the energy levels it is operating at.). I never claimed that hawking radiation is proven just that the LHC could prove if it does exist.

Personally in all likelihood I think hawking radiation does exist because otherwise a black hole would destroy quantum information and this would violate the predictions of several theories (mainly quantum mechanics and the standard model.) If hawking radiation exists then it allows a mechanism for information to be retained within a black hole.

That's if black holes do even exist as there are several other theories that do fit what is observed and wouldn't break the standard model.

P.S. They don't start it at the maximum energy level it starts at a relatively low level and is ramped up over the next 9 months before being shut off for recalibration, they will then start it again and try to push it to the highest energy levels, so really we may not see mini black holes till the start of 2010.

[edit on 2-9-2008 by -Klaus-]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by spookjr

As I already stated... If you know it will be safe, you know your results. If you know your results you do not need to do the experiment. So yes, they know more than me, but they do not know everything about the experiment either.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by umbr45

You have asked and answered your own question here. They dont know about their experiments' ultimate results. Which is why its an experiment in the first place. Do you really believe that it could destroy the planet? Its just not possible.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by spookjr

its 100% possible a black hole on earth would destroy it unless a black hole leads to somewhere good which is unlikely.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by spookjr

The only way to know for sure it wont destroy the earth is to know the results...

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
And the only way to know the results is to run the experiment...

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Exactly, and thus far we can only speculate, and specualtion at some point leads to all of our deaths.

I have been saying this more than once at the people who seem to know there is no risk.

[edit on 2-9-2008 by umbr45]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Just so everyone knows im not denying this experiment wont work im just saying its a mighty big risk to take

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by billyjoinedat2k8

Dude, I was refering to the possibility of an artificially created black hole, created by the LHC. Atom sized black holes trapped in a magnetic pinch would destroy themselves in nano seconds.It would be impossible for the singularity to consume any mass at all while in the confines of the collider. Thats one of the things the magnetic field is for. There is 0 doubt of this. This device will not endanger the planet.
And by the way, even if a black hole would lead to 'somewhere good' the extreme gravitation experienced on the way there would destroy all.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Has such a phenomenon be observed before?

We do not fully understand blackholes, we should not pretend to know what will happen.

Never assume people, you all know what happens when you Assume

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Some scientist have been saying that yes some will just dissapear as fast as they appear but some might not you can not be 100% positive thats itll be fine cause u dont know either same as i dont know and same as the scientists dont know.

even if a black hole would lead to 'somewhere good' the extreme gravitation experienced on the way there would destroy all.

all i can say to that is how do you know have u been in a black hole nope for all e know it could be fun

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
There is more risk in you crossing the road leading to your death than there is the LHC causing it.

Okay worst case scenario hawking radiation doesn't exist, mini black holes are spat out, but these mini black holes are so tiny they struggle to take in particles, they are also travelling at hundreds of metres per second into space, at the worst they may go through your body but they would cause just as much damage as a high energy radiation. They would then drift endlessly through space.

Furthermore this experiment is aiming to recreate energies that occured at the bigbang, therefore mini black holes were created at the big bang if they didn't evaporate by hawking radiation how did they not consume most of the matter of the universe during the big band when matter was so densely compacted?

A link that may comfort you a link that may entertain you.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
One of the concepts that the physicists are hoping to learn is a greater understanding of the binding forces of the atom. A total understanding of these physical properties could lead to a discovery of the nature of what is called 'total energy conversion', the ability to harness the innate power of the atom, not by fission,not by fusion, but by harnessing the very forces which bind the atomic nucleus. If we came to understand these forces we could power the entire world forever with a cap full of sand. This to me is a way more dangerous road to travel than worrying about tiny little black holes...

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Hmmm, Well yes the link is indeed comforting, assuming it was a black hole.

But like I said assuming is not always the best idea, if this could be proven I would be much happier.

And I did also say that if all was to work, what we get from it would still not be good.

[edit on 2-9-2008 by umbr45]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by umbr45

It is boggling my mind that you have no real concept of what the LHC even does,how it operates, how it is controlled, and what the possible outcomes could even be. Yet you insist on your vague assertion that it will be bad. Bad how? If there are no black holes to destroy the planet then what badness could be brought forth? Do you even know what it is you are talking about? What else have you theorized wil happen?
Total energy conversion will surely change the world for the better, how could it not?

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by spookjr

Because it total energy conversion makes those secientists the most powerful people on the planet....EVER.

All power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Think of the armies that could be controlled with an endless power supply...

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by umbr45

I am done arguing with you. You are hand waving and flag waving in relation to a subject that you obviously dont have a clue about. Bye,Bye now...

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join