It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coin left behind on Mars?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I should go to mars and take close up pictures of all the strange stuff there...
you ain't seen nothin yet.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperSlovak

I should go to mars and take close up pictures of all the strange stuff there...

and i am supposed to take this thread serious ?

when posting these pictures i believe the rules here on ATS are to provide a link to the source of your picture ?

while you were dreaming about flying to Mars ...i posted the info for you

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
hmm this is interesting, What I want to know is the dimensions of this "object" Is it small enough to be a coin? Is it huge? I mean is it a tiny little thing or is it some large round object.

In my opinion This does look artificial. It's does not appear to be a rock or another kind of naturally occurring thing it definitely does look tooled, however it could be a piece of debris from a rover, it all depends on it's size.

It does appear to be out of place with the rest of the geology of this region. The surrounding rock seems to be in a shale type formation, a sedimentary layer of rock that tends to split when acted upon by eons of pressure and erosion. This round object does appear to be something foregn to that geology.

[edit on 8/31/2008 by whatukno]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   
It must be a coin, it can't be anything else. It must be a coin, it can't be anything else.

Ugh.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Why would the rover waste money? It's just a slug to cheat the Martian slot machines out of new cars.

Is there anything on the rover that could have picked up and dropped a clump of soil like that? I would imagine it like a shoe-imprinted clump of dirt that fell off, though if the soil isn't wet, it wouldn't stay clumped.

To me, the "coin" looks too dirty and buried to simply be a of the rover.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Last year before launching either one of the rovers, I'm guess this one, I heard one was equipped with a silver, gold, and copper coin. Each coin was one troy ounce, inscribed with "EGO OPEROR NON REPETO" over the White House, with the bust of the 43rd president on the opposite side. Underneath his bust is "FIDES IN AUCTORITA" This according to top men, mystery solved.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by easynow
when posting these pictures i believe the rules here on ATS are to provide a link to the source of your picture ?

Actually all the info is on the clips he posted... It clearly shows J Skipper's Name, the Marsanomaly website AND the NASA image number from the Rover site

There is no rule that says someone has to provide ALL the other possible images. But thank you for pulling them
saves me a few minutes

I would think by now everyone visiting these anomaly threads would have the Rover and MSSS sites at their fingertip... If not why not?

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Now you know where all your pennies go when you throw them into the wishing well.

It is weird, the longer I look at it the more it looks like a coin.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 05:12 AM
link   
It certainly doesn't look like anykind of natural thing I've seen with the way it has an edge. That edge is way to crisp for something that has been eroded.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperSlovak

Oh noes!!11! A round surface! It must be the work of aliens!

Seriously, folks, can we at least try to get some actual evidence and not fly off the handle every time a geological formation you don't understand pops up? It's muddying the water of actual research. Too many false positives means real positives are harder to spot.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I just want to know where my socks go. I am scrupulous about them. Good find SS. Yashi mash. The great black hole sock vaccuum. I knew it. Yes sir...they do indeed look like coins.

[edit on 9/1/2008 by jpm1602]

[edit on 9/1/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 06:37 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

yep to me
i just quoted the OP and copied the links to get the pix and being able to watch them via PS

really interesting
round like a coin - but could also be a rock
strange perspektive to me - no real deepess -
are the marks of the rover arm drill above or on a wall or what ever

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by TH3ON3

I believe I see an inscription on it ΜΑΡΣ ΟΡ ΒΘΣΤ Anyone know what that might mean?

My main and only question is, on a planet with that much wind and dust how was this "ΜΑΡΣ ΟΡ ΒΘΣΤ" pulled from the picture. I will need evidence of this alone because it really is to hard to believe that anyone saw this. If you could provide how. I might believe that it is actually there. But all i see is a circle disc that is covered in dust.

One more thing exactly how big is the drill used on the rover and could this be a disk made from drilling on the sedimentary rocks that has fallen or broken?

We need to look at all possibilities instead of just one.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by CrashGecko]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
There is a thread about the coin and other images already on ATS
from a few months back. Dont think there were any real conclusions about it though

Mars Anomaly Research #135

/rich

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrashGecko

My main and only question is, on a planet with that much wind and dust how was this "ΜΑΡΣ ΟΡ ΒΘΣΤ" pulled from the picture. I will need evidence of this alone because it really is to hard to believe that anyone saw this.

Pretty sure he was joking.

I think it means "Mars or Bust" or something like that.

[edit on 9/1/2008 by RCarter]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Bah, two pages of 'Oh my lord, what else could it be, but a coin?'

The object appears (to me at least) to be partially burried. I don't know how the weather works on that portion of the martian surface, but if it is not one which is windy (at least at times) then half the mystery can be solved by knowing relative size and natural erroding/burrying forces.

Knowing that wind is pretty damn common (and at times intense) on mars, I can not guess for sure at its 'age'.

Some speculation:

If we are assuming that mars, at one point, had an active system of moving water at the surface, then it would not be too much of a strech to guess that the objects round shape could be the result of the weathering by an ancient planet.

Some annoyance:

We all know there is wind and we assume that there was flowing water...

...why is it that weathering is thrown to the backburner by shouts of 'alien money'?

I am not asking you to stunt your imagination, afterall, we are dealing with something completely alien to us; with natural systems we are only just starting to understand. I am, however, asking that every potentially interesting piece of information isn't bogged down with post after post of recycled coin jokes and a delusional 'what else could it be' mentality.

[edit on 9/1/0808 by spines]

[edit on 9/1/0808 by spines]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by spines

Star for you and all the others that have picked this thread up for what it's worth, (no pun intended).

Since this picture didn't harness much attention in the origional thread the OP posted it in, it was decided by the OP to start a new thread with this pic too arouse and draw further attention too it.

With no reference by the OP that the picture had been posted before, (by the OP). What is the OP's motivation here?

The thread title alone creates cause for skepticism, or at the least a raised eyebrow.

I'm hoping that the day when people stop reguritating stuff they have previously posted on ATS stops and that the day is sooner, rather than later, seems too be the usual suspects though... so I doubt that it will change soon, not that I'm not up too "informative" discussion/reporting. It just seems as though the more tangible "information" is disfigured by posts that claim "unfounded" extra-ordinary observations.

My 2 cents.

Fox.

(I'm going outside too take pictures of rocks still...)

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrashGecko
One more thing exactly how big is the drill used on the rover and could this be a disk made from drilling on the sedimentary rocks that has fallen or broken?
[edit on 1-9-2008 by CrashGecko]

Right on! That is exactly what I thought.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

There is no rule that says someone has to provide ALL the other possible images.

i agree Zorgon but i was really talking about linking to the picture from where it was found, no links at all seems deceiving to me.

care to speculate on what we are seeing in this picture ? any idea's if the rover may have created this or is it really a coin ? hehehe

i am going with the weathered rock scenario, not a conclusive finding on my part but it's all i got on this one.

maybe you can think of something similar to this ? for comparison ?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join