It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 deferments, asthma kept Biden out of Vietnam.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Article

I just thought this story would be somewhat interesting to people, considering that Joe Biden recieved the same number of student deferments as Dick Cheney. Of course, Biden had asthma and that eventually kept him out, but thankfully, it didn't stop him from being a lifeguard or playing high school football.

In "Promises to Keep," a memoir that was published last year and became an instant best-seller after he was tapped as Obama's running mate, Biden never mentions his asthma, recounting an active childhood, work as a lifeguard and football exploits in high school.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
Biden had asthma and that eventually kept him out, but thankfully, it didn't stop him from being a lifeguard or playing high school football.

You can bet John McCain is rubbing his hands together right now.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Actually asthma is a big issue at least now a days in the military, my son has a friend that had childhood asthma by the time he was a teen the asthma was long gone.

He joined the Marines, as soon the records of his childhood asthma came around he was released.

I guess back in the Vietnam era may not have been such a big issue but today is.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

This is the current asthma regs:

ARMY REGULATIONS 40-501

Medical Services

Standards of Medical Fitness

Updated 19 February 2004

Section 2-23. Lungs, chest wall, pleura, and mediastinum
The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction are:

d. Asthma (ICD-9 code 493), including reactive airway disease, exercise induced bronchospasm or asthmatic bronchitis, reliably diagnosed at any age. Reliable diagnostic criteria should consist of any of the following elements:
(1) Substantiated history of cough, wheeze, and/or dyspnea that persists or recurs over a prolonged period of time, generally more than 6 months.
(2) If the diagnosis of asthma is in doubt, a test for reversible airflow obstruction (greater than a 15 percent increase in forced expiratory volume in 1 second (FEVI) following administration of an inhaled bronchodilator) or airway hyperactivity (exaggerated decrease in airflow induced by standard bronchoprovocation challenge such as methacholine inhalation or a demonstration of exercise-induced bronchospasm) must be performed.
yahoo

He finished law school and the army told him he couldn't join, nothing to see here.

Always trying to start something.

Or are you suggesting Mr. Biden's public service to his state and his country for over 30 years is insufficient proof of his patriotism?

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Are you saying that being on the public dole for your entire adult life qualifies you to be Vice President? Biden has leached off the taxpayers his entire life. He knows nothing else. He has no experience doing anything else. Biden is the perfect case for Term Limits in Congress. Same for Ted "Killer" Kennedy.

To call leaching off the taxpayers for thirty years "public service" is a fart in the face of every taxpaying citizen.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I just thought it was an item of interest. Clearly, Biden's 5 deferments and later dismissal from military service consideration due to asthma was newsworthy enough for the AP, so I posted it. I'm simply grateful that it did not take away from his time in high school sports. That is all. I think every 16-18 year old guy needs that time practicing and playing football. Those 100 degree days in the summer in full pads build character, and Biden is an example of that.

[edit on 31-8-2008 by vor78]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Or are you suggesting Mr. Biden's public service to his state and his country for over 30 years is insufficient proof of his patriotism?

I"m not questioning his being a patriot, but being a politician for 30+ years and being in the service for the same amount of time isn't even in the same ball park. I think the risks are just a tad bit more being in the military.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Actually asthma is a big issue at least now a days in the military, my son has a friend that had childhood asthma by the time he was a teen the asthma was long gone.

He joined the Marines, as soon the records of his childhood asthma came around he was released.

I guess back in the Vietnam era may not have been such a big issue but today is.

My brother and I both have asthma and both served. My brother had to get a waiver, but it was easy and he is in Ramadi, Iraq right now.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I had asthma as a young man. I would've loved to have used it as an excuse to avoid Viet Nam. I was not willing to flee the country to avoid it, and at the time, merely being in college was not an acceptable reason to defer the draft. Thus, it took me 8 cumulative years to complete my degree.

I don't look down on anyone who had a condition that made them unacceptable for the draft. Asthma is one of those things that doesn't manifest itself the same in everyone. I could function. I was less than 80% some of the time.

If this story is true, it does nothing, to me, to malign Biden's career. I am not a supporter of Senator Obama, but I also don't like stories created to jab at him or his running mate (or that of the opposition) that has nothing to do with the ISSUES for which we SHOULD be ELECTING them for. [Insert Lewis Black shaking his fist]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I agree. Except that John McCain's service in Vietnam serves as a good measure of his character, Biden's deferments are meaningless.

What are you going to do when the majority of the men in a given generation are cowards?

You go with what you've got.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Asthma can be triggered by many different things. Someone can be just fine swimming or playing football, but can be triggered by grass clippings or dust in the air.

As a person who was in the Army and who now has asthma I have this opinion - I fully agree that someone with asthma shouldn't be in combat.

(IF he really had asthma - he didn't belong in combat.)

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
mountains out of mole hills....

Biden may have engaged in organized football as a high schooler...

but has any accuser looked into his record & stats??
a lot of bench warmers were needed to fill the rosters, i sorta think a 'pansy' would get on the team & recieve a HS 'Letter' but never even be considered to play.

also...a H.S. swimming team followed the same sort of convoluted status of young 'athletes'....the term 'athlete' is here pressed to the limit...

i don't try to apologize for the man... as i was once active in Vets Against the War, and have a real distain for the affluent draft exempt$ions...

but nobody has shown me anything yet...Biden may be an Pretend-to-be-Aloof-Aristrocrat, and live a pampered life style... but 'sour grapes' stink.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Until you have an asthma attack don't EVER say "Just Asthma" When you are suffocating, can't breath, get lightheaded as you try and grab your inhaler, and a few minutes later start to breath normally then you can say "Just Asthma"

Also, my grandfather tried to join, they sent him to Iceland. Why? No eardrums. So he joined the FBI, Forgotten Bastards of Iceland.

top topics

join